Slashers LAX Night stops

General Chit Chat
Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Slashers LAX Night stops

#41 Post by Fliegenmong » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:04 am

Used to LAX night stop at the 'Hacienda' in El Segundo...reasonable enough place, 'Cept the walls are to thin, wounded up back at LAX for a connecting flight hours too early as I must have been staying next to the honeymoon suite....
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Slasher

#42 Post by Slasher » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:09 am

Fliegs having one's bed headboard up against the wall to next room's headboard (also up against the wall) is a bloody pain in the arse. If I got particularly annoyed at the raucous bonking I'd wait for the vinegar stroke then suddenly bang loudly and continuously until the noisy bastard stopped shoving my bed back and forth!

Last time I had it was in a hotel atop a hill in SEL.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:29 am

The most senior guy on my course was on a solo cross country and wondered on returning why there were a few JP's in the circuit at Dishforth and eventually realised he'd put his Chipmunk into the circuit at Leeming. He later became the Captain at RNAS Culdrose.

In 96 it was the Heathrow 50th anniversary celebration flypast of many civvie types from over the years. I was at the Duxford Flying Legends display the same day and they overflew there as well as Heathrow.......except for the few who did a follow my lost leader and overflew a disused airfield a few miles south.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by Fliegenmong » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:51 am

Fliegs having one's bed headboard up against the wall to next room's headboard (also up against the wall) is a bloody pain in the arse. If I got particularly annoyed at the raucous bonking I'd wait for the vinegar stroke then suddenly bang loudly and continuously until the noisy bastard stopped shoving my bed back and forth!

Last time I had it was in a hotel atop a hill in SEL.

Mate, I actually think this f##ker was a few doors away, and more intent on letting us know what he was up to....dunno, could have been by himself! @-) =)) ....anyway ended up back at the terminal with plenty of time to spare and a few coffees with breakfast, all was not lost.. ;)))

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#45 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:38 pm

Can't remember where it was, Capt Slasher may know. Maybe Jeddah or Riyadh there is a military airfield on the approach same orientation. I told the Capt he was wrong so did the nav. But oh no he was the captain so he was right. We did a touch and go then plonked it down at the international airport.

Many years ago at the Woodford air show a USAF fast jet did his full display over MAN. Guess Woodford didn't look big enough for him.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:52 pm

Then there was the Lightning guy who was asked to do a beat up at Neatishead for somebody's retirement, but did the wrong site, radar head site instead of the main site (or v.v)....the Regional Flight Safety Committee, who were having their quarterly meeting at the site he beat up, were not impressed.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#47 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:45 pm

A Britannia bound for Montreal Dorval airport landed at the small airfield just to the North ( Cartierville ? ) with a parallel runway 24. Called Dorval for taxy clearance and couldn’t be seen by Dorval tower, and error realised,so they just taxied back to the threshold and took off to then land at Dorval. When the sxxt hit the fan about taking off from the shorter runway with no performance data available etc. the Captain just said "I thought least said, soonest mended "

A student pilot in a Cessna returning to Cartiervile thought .... B.O.A.C. can't be wrong, so landed at Dorval !

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#48 Post by Stoneboat » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:52 pm

ExSp, for awhile around Dorval, BOAC became known as Been Over At Cartierville after that episode.
Not to be outdone, a few years later Eastern landed a DC-9 at the same spot, only this time the airport and environs had been closed and turned into a housing development. The runway was still there, but had been dug up along a goodly distance. They took off again and went over to Dorval. The cockpit crew were fired.

Slasher

#49 Post by Slasher » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:57 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:38 pm
Can't remember where it was, Capt Slasher may know. Maybe Jeddah or Riyadh there is a military airfield on the approach same orientation.
That'd be Riyadh sah.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:40 am

Stoneboat, thanks. Or. Better On A Camel ?

Slasher

#51 Post by Slasher » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:18 am

Nah. Boys Overseas After Crumpet was the universally accepted decoding. :p

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#52 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:17 am

Slasher wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:57 pm
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:38 pm
Can't remember where it was, Capt Slasher may know. Maybe Jeddah or Riyadh there is a military airfield on the approach same orientation.
That'd be Riyadh sah.

Ta Capt. Will get the log books out when we get back. Went on a recce with same captain to Budapest. He said to the Air Attache when we got back he would stay at the Marriott (?) Air Attache said what about the rest of your crew?

It was thanks to him I got an A cat rating as a F/O absolutely unknown before or probably since. All Capts on The Queen's Flight had to be A. We were doing our annual checks together. He announced the MDH on a NDB approach as being 300' it was 350' Examiner questioned this. He said he always used 300"
as a MDH. He couldn't be busted so at debrief examiner said to me that I had done better than him so I better have an A cat as well. =))
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Slasher

#53 Post by Slasher » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:30 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:17 am
Ta Capt.
OERK is Riyadh civil Int'l sah and OEKK is the military base (King Khalid RSAF). The base is in town just South of the 'CBD' for want of a better word. Maybe when you were there the base may've appeared to be out in the middle of the desert. But didn't the camel shaggers kick up a fuss?

Also...how come this capt couldn't be busted? Telling an Examiner he always uses 300ft I thought was akin to cutting his own throat.

Lucky you getting your break as a CAT A by default! 👏 👍🏻

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:26 am

We need a new thread air displays at the wrong airfield or airfields I shouldn't have landed at.

When we were considering buying the F111 they flew one into Cottesmore for us. It came in from the wrong direction. "You put Withering in the IN, it goes to Wittering"

I guess they took the position off the chart.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#55 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:33 am

Slasher wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:30 am
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:17 am
Ta Capt.
OERK is Riyadh civil Int'l sah and OEKK is the military base (King Khalid RSAF). The base is in town just South of the 'CBD' for want of a better word. Maybe when you were there the base may've appeared to be out in the middle of the desert. But didn't the camel shaggers kick up a fuss?

Also...how come this capt couldn't be busted? Telling an Examiner he always uses 300ft I thought was akin to cutting his own throat.

Lucky you getting your break as a CAT A by default! 👏 👍🏻
We never heard anything about it. They may have spoken to the embassy but it didn't come back to us. But we were not Royal Air Force we were Royal Household so it was probably diplomatically hushed up like a few other incidents.

Yep A cats are very rare. It was very funny though. They couldn't bust him down to a B or even C because he would then not be qualified to fly HMQ or be personal pilot to HRH PP which he was. HRH PP would have kicked up one hell of a fuss. It would be more likely that the examiner would have been busted. That was the way it worked. It may seem odd to you Capt but that work is a different world. Why do you think that I have never diverted on a Royal or VIP flight (except a package on the runway)? You have to get in and stick that jet on the red carpet to the second.

Slasher

#56 Post by Slasher » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:39 am

Gotcha sah. Sounds like a dream job - land at he wrong field and get off scot free, bust minimas and say so to a friggin' examiner of all people, rub shoulders with the hoi poloi, stay at whatever pub one nominates - sounds lovely.

But yes I appreciate the need sometimes to shall we say "bend rules" to get the job done.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by Fliegenmong » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:56 am

'Bend Over Again Christine' was how I remembered it..

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#58 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:59 am

Great job Capt but extremely stressful. Not who was down the back but the split second time keeping. You even had to know where you were going to park even which direction you were pointing. It takes a big jet 30 secs to turn gently on the ground through 180°. 20 TV cameras on that door, fly pasts and bands. A King or Queen stamding there waiting for you. Cabin crew used to give us a very large G&T on shut down. Didn't belive how relaxing flying could be until I joined the airline. no one cares when you take off and land or what airport you land at apart from the SLF who don't matter much anyway. Still a ***** job though.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#59 Post by Fliegenmong » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:59 am

apart from the SLF who don't matter much anyway.

Sure they'll be pleased to learn that! :))

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#60 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Fliegenmong wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:59 am
apart from the SLF who don't matter much anyway.

Sure they'll be pleased to learn that! :))
It was charter, all string vests shorts or mini skirts and that was the chaps. Couldn't speak Queen's English just grunted. They probably didn't even know where they were going or been to anyway. Load them up and dump them somewhere to get dead drunk and end up in a Spanish jail.