A delightful evening

General Chit Chat
Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

A delightful evening

#1 Post by Fliegenmong » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:37 am

Had the neighbours over for dinne last night, they've been in the house next door since November last year, and we'd only briefly met them before. A delightful couple from Tehran, he's been out here for 15 years, and she for 4. Their English is remarkable and their stories of life in Tehran fascinating. They are much younger than us.

And you realise, they're not intrinsically bad people, in fact, far more decent people than many Aussies I know. They LOVE living here, and ESPECIALLY loved being invited over for dinner. hey bought over a bottle of Veuve Cliquot with curly streamers tied to it, and sent me a thank you text this morning!...Really lovely people.... :-bd
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: A delightful evening

#2 Post by Hydromet » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:07 am

It's always good to meed people from other cultures, and most I've met who've come here from other places are really appreciative of their new home. They also usually appreciate people who make the effort to welcome them. Well done.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Fliegenmong » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:27 am

Indeed, they were beside themselves that we'd invited them into our home and our community. I text them beforehand to say is there anything you do not eat..they came back and said "We have no specific dietary requirements...and we drink alcohol", they were most certainly very appreciative for the evening....

Now we get to go to theirs and they can cook cook something traditionally Iranian.

Sisemen

#4 Post by Sisemen » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:38 am

There's nothing wrong with the normal Iranian, particularly those who have chosen to leave Iran. The bad apples are the religious nutters and their henchmen.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:18 am

Sisemen wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:38 am
The bad apples are the religious nutters and their henchmen.
That applies to most religions around Eastern Med. And the Iranian ladies are among the most attractive I have met.

Slasher

#6 Post by Slasher » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:53 am

Sisemen wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:38 am
There's nothing wrong with the normal Iranian
Yes. I iterated that meself earlier. Had a few working for my ex-mob. Normal everyday blokes. They told me It's their bloody government most of all that stuffs it up, and at the top of the heap are the Guardians of the Revolution who everyone wishes would go straight to Hell.

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:18 am
And the Iranian ladies are among the most attractive I have met.
Ooooh yeh! 😜

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Fliegenmong » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:57 am

And thethe most attractive I have met. Iranian ladies are among

Yes...'Solli' is a stunning lady!!!...but the real take away is they want to be part of our society...no religious barrow to push...they both independently considered the USA Canada & Australia.. the idea of living in the USA was worse than staying in Iran..Canada too cold....and so settled here...good on them...I welcome them!..they actively WANT to be part of Australian culture, and they are embracing it!

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Fliegenmong » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:05 am

Enough 'social lubricant' was consumed to gently approach the Iranian Revolution...they were NOT Fans of the Ayatollah!!...but not fans of the 'Shah' either...I had the distinct impression that they wanted their natural resources under control of their own people, to the benefit of their own people, which is I think fair and equitable.

But that is water under the bridge now...they know it too.....so they're embracing modern Australia...which is more than can be said of some enclaves of Western Sydney!

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:25 am

Maybe those enclaves in Western Sydney need to be under the law they like to impose for a few months.

Slasher

#10 Post by Slasher » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:29 am

Like getting their heads and hands chopped off? I agree.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:32 am

If they want to live under those rules why not? Democracy (the way it is applied in the 1st World Countries) apply as a package deal and not a la carte.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:28 pm

Slasher wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:29 am
Like getting their heads and hands chopped off? I agree.
Maybe if they chopped their hands off here we would have a little less theft. Mine you we do have capital punishment and for murder, which is rare, it is imposed. And, I do not mean years on death row. Following day job. It takes a day for them to steal a rope to do it.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:50 pm

Worked with a very pleasant Iranian immigrant here, volunteering. He was sad to have to leave in some senses, but he had commited the crimes of being successful and unbribeable in his work (he ran a medium sized construction business), which numbers your days in Iran it seems. The corruption and waste is staggering, he said, which is why Iran can't afford to lose any oil revenue for long. If you are well connected the Government just throws money at any half-assed scheme, which is just written off when it fails and more money doled out for the next one. He is committed to Canada now. His wife had made a visit home to see family, but he considered it too risky for either of them to try it again.

Capetonian

#14 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:07 pm

I had the pleasure of spending a few weeks in Iran about 8 years ago. It was a wonderful experience and they are the most delightful people, cultured, educated, gracious, and generous. They are greatly maligned because the country is run by a cabal of religious zealots whose evil influence pervades life constantly.

It is very sad, it would be nice to think that the madmen will be overthrown and that the country and its people can take their rightful place in the world.

Capetonian

#15 Post by Capetonian » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:06 pm

bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-49373881/iran-is-the-most-beautiful-country