Store alarms

General Chit Chat
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Store alarms

#1 Post by Boac » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:34 pm

In the last few weeks my Credit Card folder has been setting off the 'exit' alarms at supermarkets. It IS fairly stuffed with plastic vouchers, but this is not new. What is new over the period is a new cash-back card - not sure if this is causing it 'cos I am hearing of other folk experiencing this. Either stores are increasing the sensitivity or this new card has an enhanced RFID.

Anyone else?

It could be an opportunity for a great scam, of course, if I were that way inclined. ^:)^ Push a trolley loaded with unpaid-for items out through the scanners. Leave the trolley outside and demonstrate to security wallah the problem. When he/she is convinced, return to trolley and scarper. :))

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Store alarms

#2 Post by Hydromet » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:59 pm

I always used to set off store alarms, until one smart shop assistant suggested I check in my wallet to see if the RFID anti-theft device had been removed. There it was, hidden where it had been since I bought the wallet. Removed it, problem gone.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:04 am

My wallet does not have one of those. Would a card carry one?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:29 am

I have a pair of trousers. They have a RFID pocket.

Alarmwise though I once bought a piece of software airside at Heathrow. Later, leaving a shop in Brussels the alarm went off. Fortunately the Chocolate shop didn't sell software.😊

If you carried one of those big magnets around . . . I wonder.

Daughter gave me a bottle of Welsh whiskey for Christmas. It still had the security cap on. Without a receipt I could hardly go back and get it removed.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Boac » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:56 am

PN wrote:I have a pair of trousers. They have a RFID pocket.
- why am I not surprised? :))