General Chit Chat
Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: We're all doomed !

#21 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:34 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:20 am
A black hole doesn't suck, its immense gravity simply transforms/warps the dimensions of space/time after the event horizon to point towards the singularity. Crudely, all dimensions would be warped/orientated in one direction that would result in an infinitely accelerated fall to a point where all known laws of physics both classical and quantum would break down at a point of infinite gravitational/force or compression.
Or President Donald Trump, as he is formally known.

But he really does suck!

Slasher

#22 Post by Slasher » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:58 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:03 am
As I begin to perceive that Captain Slasher is a fan of astronomy, cosmology and Douglas Adams I am heartened to think that I may be able to discuss these things with him in the pub after our flight (having being offered the second officer's seat in his crew).
Dunno if F/O Runway in Sight would like cerebral discussions like that Gob. I think we should just stick to big titties as this is our common interest.

Astronomy, Cosmolology, Isaac the Newt, Einstein, Dr Carl Sagan, Zef Cochrane (me fave***), Douglas Adams, Fourth Dimensional and Quantum Physics. The latter I did many yonks ago by snailmail correspondence with South Dakota U. I passed the 2nd semester only by a bee's dick as my brain just couldn't get past Classical thinking (required for the 3rd). It's truly brain-busting sh!t.

If you really wanna get heavy then post a reply on the Lorentz thread. I need to know if and where I've gone wrong. No use me asking Deanna as she doesn't care a rats about Time.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:34 am

Ah Captain Picard... um Slasher, I assume you speak of the Dutch physicist with a 't' and his transformations and co-ordinate system as opposed to Lorenz, high God of Chaos theory, sometime meteorologist, putative butterfly induced hurricane man, famous for his computer generated attractor.

Let me tarry a while and have glass here with Mr Cochrane and then I will hie me down in search of the Dutchman with whom we might have a pancake without the smoke. I will bring Mr Cochrane and perhaps he will tell us what he was smoking when he invented the warp drive!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by 1DC » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:43 pm

Thread Drift for Magnus Read in the paper today that Cobar will probably run out of water by November if the drought doesnt break..

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:02 pm

Was so amused by that Zefram Cochrane video clip that I pulled out Star Trek: First Contact DVD and watched it again for the first time in years today. Good stuff! I apologize to Dr Cochrane for calling him Mr...

James Cromwell was perfect in the role as Cochrane.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:38 am

Well if we think we are doomed by super massive black holes it seems that they are at least able to toll our death knell, albeit at very low frequencies in gravity waves.

Physicists and astronomers using the interferometry techniques pioneered by the LIGO team have further measured a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity.

"Scientists detect tones in the ringing of a newborn black hole for the first time. Results support Einstein’s theory and the idea that black holes have no “hair.”
If Albert Einstein’s theory of general relativity holds true, then a black hole, born from the cosmically quaking collisions of two massive black holes, should itself “ring” in the aftermath, producing gravitational waves much like a struck bell reverberates sound waves. Einstein predicted that the particular pitch and decay of these gravitational waves should be a direct signature of the newly formed black hole’s mass and spin.

Now, physicists from MIT and elsewhere have studied the ringing of an infant black hole, and found that the pattern of this ringing does, in fact, predict the black hole’s mass and spin — more evidence that Einstein was right all along.
https://scitechdaily.com/for-the-first- ... lack-hole/

It is rumoured that Hot Black Desiato of the plutonium rock band Disaster Area is consulting his lawyers and remaining tight lipped at this news.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by Magnus » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:53 am

1DC, our Cobar family have mostly moved on, be it geographically or metaphysically. We still have replies in central NSW, though, and much of it is looking like a dust bowl. Our friends in Coonabarabran are worried. 9000 acres of dried mud is not an encouraging sight for a cattle farmer.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by boing » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:53 pm

You folks can stay and chat about black holes. I'm off for a beer somewhere with a good view of the events - I wouldn't want to miss being there at the end of everything !

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:28 pm

boing wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:53 pm
You folks can stay and chat about black holes. I'm off for a beer somewhere with a good view of the events - I wouldn't want to miss being there at the end of everything !
This pragmatic post brings to my time warped mind a vision of a contented man, in a comfortable spaceship, hovering just outside the event horizon with the legend "The Bishop's Mitre" on it and a traditional English bar on the opposite side of a large porthole, raising his pint of Black Ale with a smile as he watches the rest of us lager drinking wretches just crossing to the wrong side of the horizon, very, very very slowly due to time dilation, disappearing to our foamy oblivion...

;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by boing » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:15 pm

I am coming, or should that be going, with you. If I have a choice of final adventures diving into a black hole beats dying in bed. :YMHUG:

I just don't want to miss the fun so I think a beer and a nice vantage point are the way to enjoy it.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:36 am

boing wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:15 pm
I just don't want to miss the fun so I think a beer and a nice vantage point are the way to enjoy it.
Perhaps a light repast at Milliways washed down with some Andromedian bubbly and eggs Benedict might be in order before we repair to the "Bishop's Mitre", hovering in the black hole's ergosphere, for a last couple of pints of dark boing. The meal's on me! ;)))
The restaurant at the end of the universe.JPG
The restaurant at the end of the universe.JPG (36.57 KiB) Viewed 116 times
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by OFSO » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:49 am

"Diving into a black hole", eh ? One might consult Noddy Corbyn on that one....

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by boing » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Goblin,
Since we are on the Hitchhiker theme I think I will change my drinks to the intergalactic "G&T'" and see how many different planetary versions I can drink.
"

`...and the Universe,' continued the waiter, determined not to be deflected on his home stretch, `will explode later for your pleasure.'
Ford's head swivelled slowly towards him. He spoke with feeling. `Wow,' he said, `What sort of drinks do you serve in this place?'
The waiter laughed a polite little waiter's laugh. `Ah,' he said, `I think sir has perhaps misunderstood me.'

`Oh, I hope not,' breathed Ford."

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by llondel » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:51 pm

If you're doing Hitchhiker's then surely the drink should be a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:55 pm

llondel wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:51 pm
If you're doing Hitchhiker's then surely the drink should be a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster
So early in the morning? Oh go on then, just the one then seeing as it is the end of the universe!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."