30 Year High School Reunion tomorrow night....

General Chit Chat
Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

30 Year High School Reunion tomorrow night....

#1 Post by Fliegenmong » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:24 am

....which kinda gives away my age somewhat doesn't it?

I see one or two around town very occasionally...and one woman in particular (Mrs Fliegs hates her, thinks I had a thing for her in High School)

Peridically I keep in touch with an old mate who went on to become a very succesful jewller, he was living in the South of France and travelling requently between there and London for work....did some rather famous stuff that I can't find right now. He's living back here on the Gold Coast now with his French wife and 1/2 kids.

At least one of our bunch is noe deceased...bowel cancer. RIP Leisa...went to her funeral, only 2 others from scholl there for that...very poor I thought

I think one went to do IT work for the UN food program or some such in Rome?...not sure...

Guessing most of the Girls went on to marry pretty succesful guys...

Am I excited? ....nah, not really...Mrs Fliegs has insisted on going...so if I don't it's really a big f*#k you all isn;t it? .... I'll go with open mind though I duppose, and try to be 'there ' in spirit.
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: 30 Year High School Reunion tomorrow night....

#2 Post by Hydromet » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:21 am

My school year had its 50th anniversary of leaving a few years ago. Couldn't wait to get out of the place, never kept in touch with any of them, the few good teachers would be 6' under by now. I considered going, only out of idle curiosity to see how the smart arses and bullies had turned out, and what sort of slobs they had become. Went to a single sex school, so no girls for SWMBO to be jealous of, although we're still friends with a couple of female friends from my teens.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:51 am

Hydromet, went back almost 60 years ago, never since. Kept distant 'sight' of 3 who also joined the RAF. One notably died in a Lightning crash in Singapore - a real miss the school type crash - another flew for a couple of tours and departed, the third I arrived in the same station just after he left.

Other than that, 'bumped' into a close friend online on Facebook I think, congratulated me on my 70th. He did well for himself. Blind as a bat, started as a cub reporter on his local rag, retired as editor of the Financial Times.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by ian16th » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:55 am

The 16th Entry of Yatesbury Boy Entrants had their 50th reunion in 2002, I planned to attend, but my inconsiderate son decided to get married that weekend and SWMBO hinted that I should attend that bunfight instead. ~X(

This month marks the start of my 28th year of retirement! and living off my former employer of 27 years!
I think I won that one. :YMPARTY:
Cynicism improves with age

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Fliegenmong » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:10 am

My school year had its 50th anniversary of leaving a few years ago. Couldn't wait to get out of the place, never kept in touch with any of them, the few good teachers would be 6' under by now. I considered going, only out of idle curiosity to see how the smart arses and bullies had turned out, and what sort of slobs they had become. Went to a single sex school, so no girls for SWMBO to be jealous of, although we're still friends with a couple of female friends from my teens.

Yes, I spent my early High School years at an all boys school, that despite being the most 'prestgious' and indeed most expensive school on the Gold Coast was a hotbed of horrible bullying and loaded with smart arses. Some of them went on to make obscene amounts of money, and end up in jail....ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!

I would never ever reconnect with any of those cnuts!!!. But the school I ended up in was far more pleasant. Co-ed, and where I met my wife...high school sweethearts, went our seperate ways for many years before reuniting, so we go back together...which is I guess kinda 'nice'..

and hey...first time I get to drink legally at school! ha ha

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Hydromet » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:23 am

Some of them went on to make obscene amounts of money, and end up in jail
The previous year's school captain did both, but funnily enough, at school, and also when I met him a couple of years later, he was a really good bloke, took his job seriously and, although he was a jock, was definitely not a bully or an arsehole. Don't know what went wrong for him. One of the few I wouldn't mind catching up with.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Fliegenmong » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:28 am

:)) :)) ....Mrs FLiegs just reminded me of how...um 'busy' we would get after school all those years ago.....she thought it may be somewhat 'authentic' to replicate some of that before going to school tomorrow....

Sure...I'll be 'up' for that...... :)) :))

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Fliegenmong » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:08 pm

....afternoon delight and all that...Slasher would approve I'm sure.... ;)))

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#9 Post by larsssnowpharter » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:35 pm

I went to a second rate English boys boarding school run by a bunch of Irish monks. Left proud of the fact I had 'been beaten but never buggered'.

I've done both the 40 year and 50 year reunion of the class of 68. The first was interesting as we compared waistlines and hairlines. Careers had been various. A smattering of doctors and engineers, an entrant in the Sunday Times rich list, an international banker who lived in Brazil and turned up with his Brazilian trophy wife, a retired Army brigadier, a guy who had just completed his transition to female, one who had spent many years in a prison in the US, one who continues to be a successful furniture designer in New York and the one with a recording studio in Bermuda.

I felt a bit of a failure compared to some of them. But then thought: I've kept out of prison and the Army, kept the marriage tackle intact, not had to deal with the complications of a trophy wife etc.

Life's good.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Magnus » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:27 pm

I left Trinity Academy in 1969 for Uni, and apart from one visit about 1972, didn't really think back about the place. A few years ago, the HR bod at work called and checked which school I'd been to. A fire in 1994 had wiped out most of the historic records and she was trying to ID former pupils (of which she was one) for the school centenary celebration. Since then, I've contacted a few through FB, and am meeting one on Sunday for a pint. Perhaps two - pints, not Fps.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:53 pm

My boys-only grammar school (with the girls-only grammar school built on the same site with shared assembly hall) became co-ed as I entered sixth form, then moved to new (old) premises as a comprehensive. The 1910 grammar school buildings became a middle school (which it still is today) - so there was no 'alma mater' remaining to which to return.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:06 pm

I also spent my High School years at an all boys school, run by a bunch of catholic priests a good one which supposedly offered good networking possibilities and excellent French skills. The first one didn't work the second was achieved to a good degree. It become boys and girls school the year after I graduated so I never saw girls there only a homo-economics teacher who being one of the two attractive ladies teacher.

I did attend the reunion in 2014 a multiclass event (pupils from the 60s to 1989) and there was one for classes from 1990 to 2013 I guess. We knew one a law school graduate spent time in prison, one of my class mates work for north-eastern England water company we toured the school saw the new facilities and had an excellent reception. Three friends I kept contact did not bother to attend - one was doing his civil wedding, one was afraid to meet another pupil because it remind him a girl he dated and end badly, the last one just did not manage to attend.

It did help me to attend that there was no girls to meet so it was very relaxed thing - it wouldn't be the same for those on the next block of years because girls would be around. If I were on the next block I wouldn't have gone because a friend and female ATC attended the same school and because of ... what Slasher and I like and I don;t like to function in an broken down way each time I saw her. I hope the phrase does make sense.

What is funny the uncle of the then and current (the same person actually) Mrs RiS did attend the same reunion but obviously I did not know him back then.

I am not sure I would bother another one although they did an event to help the homeless - an issue dear to me.

Fliegenmong have fun if you haven't been there already.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Hydromet » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:36 pm

Have come across a couple of people I went to school with through work; one when we were opposing expert witnesses. Later, we worked for the same organisation but didn't have a lot to do with each other.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#14 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:26 pm

Never been to a school or Squadron reunion in my life and have no intention of doing so. I do often think about Janet Clark who was my girl friend at the age of 6 who used to drop her knickers for me to have a look. Don't think I would be interested now.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:54 pm

Used to get regular begging letters from the school, it's quatercentary being a major push. Then it went bust. It's Chinese owned now.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by 1DC » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:10 pm

Someone organised a reunion of my last year at Junior Schoo; class of 1951. I couldn't go but a mate went and said that all the girls who we were trying get into their knickers were ugly and fat and all the ones we hardly bothered with were quite good looking for their age!!

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:19 pm

Never went to a school reunion, but made the mistake of going to a reunion celebrating the fifth anniversary of qualifying as a nurse. I only went as I happened to be based within driving distance at the time.......

Most of the short time I spent with my former fellow students I felt totally Worlds apart from them ; most of them had stayed put and were happy to do so (fair enough) but they couldn't understand why I had gained extra qualifications and persued a career in the PMRAFNS. It was a dreadful mistake which I will never repeat. At the end of the day there was a reason why I had not kept in contact with any of them after qualifying.........
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by ian16th » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:23 pm

Mrs Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:19 pm
they couldn't understand why I had gained extra qualifications and persued a career in the PMRAFNS.
I always thought that to be a good move, if you were female!
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:38 pm

Mrs Ex-A, there was a young WRAF ATC officer at Waddo, shortly after qualifying she would go home weekends. After two-three months her visits became fewer and she said that increasingly she found they had less and less in common. After a year or so she married OC Eng!

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#20 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:01 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:38 pm
Mrs Ex-A, there was a young WRAF ATC officer at Waddo, shortly after qualifying she would go home weekends. After two-three months her visits became fewer and she said that increasingly she found they had less and less in common. After a year or so she married OC Eng!
Yes well, I guess that put a spanner in the works.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.