General Chit Chat
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: I was a dirty young man...

#41 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:47 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:36 am
. I have a great difficulty to sleep after taking a shower (maybe because it is a part of the morning routine) so a shower just prior to going to bed is avoided.

I read very recently that you should only have warm shower before bed, not hot or cold.

Capetonian

#42 Post by Capetonian » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:00 pm

I hated everything to do with sport in school. The sadistic teachers, the smell of unwashed boys, the wankers (literally), the stupid pointless kicking or hitting a ball round.
Vile.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by llondel » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:43 am

I do fondly remember our PE teacher, trying to teach us some rugby tactics, would occasionally grab the ball and tell the team to "bind on", then when they were a bit slow in doing it, would explain that if they didn't do it quickly enough, the opposing team would pile in. So one time we'd planned in advance that we would do exactly that. Bonus was that it was in a muddy part of the field and his usually immaculate tracksuit got plastered. We got away with it too, because we were only doing what he'd said we ought to be doing if the other lot weren't quick enough.

As for showers, we had PE as the last lesson of the day so I just went home. Sometimes didn't even bother to change.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by barkingmad » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:37 pm

GG, dunno where your Pink Floyd data originated but the. album cover artwork shows “Dark Side of the Moon” but the “Dirty Woman” track is from the double album “The Wall”.

I really must get out more but the extension lead on my headphones only stretches into the hallway! :O3

GrumpyOldFart
Snr FO
Snr FO

#45 Post by GrumpyOldFart » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:16 pm

Re PE teachers: One such, watching me 'bowl' in the cricket nets, was heard to say "Jesus Christ" then put his head in his hands. Not very encouraging, to be honest.
The older I get, the grumpier I get.
I may soon have to start biting people. X(

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by llondel » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:22 pm

The above-mentioned PE teacher used to have some variations of cricket he'd play with us where he'd be the bowler. One kid, he'd make fun of when he came into bat, lob the ball up in the air, the kid would swing and miss and the ball would bounce and hit the wicket. Except one day, when he gave it a good whack. PE teacher decided it was a lucky fluke and tried again. Whack! The kid had clearly eaten his Weetabix that day because the teacher ended up bowling some pretty fierce stuff at him but he was hitting all of it.

I once read a BBC article on different types of spin bowling and it turns out that the only one I can do is the one they reckon is the hardest.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#47 Post by jimtherev » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:52 pm

GrumpyOldFart wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:16 pm
Re PE teachers: One such, watching me 'bowl' in the cricket nets, was heard to say "Jesus Christ" then put his head in his hands. Not very encouraging, to be honest.
You may have discouraged too easily. It could have been that he was overawed by your godlike skill?

GrumpyOldFart
Snr FO
Snr FO

#48 Post by GrumpyOldFart » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:17 pm

Oh Jim - will you marry me?
The older I get, the grumpier I get.
I may soon have to start biting people. X(

Slasher

#49 Post by Slasher » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:24 am

To whom? ;;)

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#50 Post by jimtherev » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:12 pm

Slasher wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:24 am
To whom? ;;)
Sorry - all me licences is expired. In fact, I feel to be heading in a Shakespearian direction:
"Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion;
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything."

But not quite there yet. Oh no.