Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Two thousand kilometres

#41 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:53 pm

Hydromet wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:13 am
Rwy in Sight wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:49 am
Hydromet, the bush regenerates quickly the first time this part is burned.
True, I should have qualified my statement. Also, as long as the fire isn't too hot. In Gippsland after the 1926 fires it took a very long time to regenerate, and when I worked there in the 1980s you could still see the remains of large dead trees from that fire, that were much taller than the new growth.
I didn't meant to be pedantic and it seems we complete each other's statement. Thus I did not know about the effects of heat. Your comments about the time span from the 20s to the 80s are impressive.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by llondel » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:09 pm

Alisoncc wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:40 am
Anyone know much about the orange fire retardant chemical? A news clip showed houses in South Turramurra covered in the stuff. Having known some of the people who lived there I am sure they are far from impressed. Nice white houses, white cars, impeccable gardens and manicured lawns all sprayed with orange gunk. :D
Better to have orange gunk than have it converted to black carbon and rust.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by Hydromet » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Front page of the SMH today is showing houses & gardens covered in pink gunk. Dog walkers are laughing at dogs with pink feet.
Reports are that the reaction time of the firefighting services was impressively quick, and communication via police was also well targeted and clear. Well done, all.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:50 am

Glad to hear it Hydromet.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by Fliegenmong » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:44 am

I must admit I thought the size number and ferocity of the fires was directly linkked to increased fuel load build up due to those of a greener persuasion insisting that back burning not be done. I also understood that aboriginals had been performing primitive burn offs for thousands of years, also I understood some native vegetation actually require bushfires to regenerate.

Best of luck to all anyway, and to remembering Col Pay who died trying to fill a modified Air Tractor (I think?) So as to be able to help in these situations
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by Hydromet » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:24 am

Fliegenmong wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:44 am
I must admit I thought the size number and ferocity of the fires was directly linkked to increased fuel load build up due to those of a greener persuasion insisting that back burning not be done. I also understood that aboriginals had been performing primitive burn offs for thousands of years, also I understood some native vegetation actually require bushfires to regenerate.

Best of luck to all anyway, and to remembering Col Pay who died trying to fill a modified Air Tractor (I think?) So as to be able to help in these situations
Was Col the pilot of the firefighting aircraft that crashed today? Caught a bit about it on the radio, but at that stage they were trying to rescue him. Very sorry to hear of his death. The water bombing aircraft at Turramurra yesterday almost certainly prevented major damage.

Former bushfire commissionerGreg Mullins refutes the claims made in the Murdoch rags that the lack of back burning was anything to do with the Greens. See the attached clip, from about 0:33. The expected ferocity of the fires yesterday was a combination of fuel because of limited opportunities to burn, high temperatures, strong winds and low humidity. As Mullins says, the same falsehoods are trotted out every time there's a bushfire.

Greg Mullins

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#47 Post by Fliegenmong » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:08 am

No Col Pay died in 2007, If I recall correctly, the Howard government of the day was reluctant to invest in Canadair CL-415 'water bombers' at a federal level to be used across states to combat large scale fires back then. Instead the Government of the day used to hire the 'Elvis' water bomber helicopter and move it from the States to here to fight fires when neccesary.

In the bush fires of the time, Col Pay recognised that it was a dreadful waste of time waiting for the US based Helos to arrive. So Col was developing a water scooping device to fit to existing Air Tractors in the country, fly low over a dam and fill up, then drop the water where needed. Regrettably Col perished when his 'scoop' 'dug in' and his Air Tractor crashed. I also seem to recall there was some strong resistance from CASA about allowing Canadair CL-415s operating here.
Col Pay:

https://aahof.com.au/Inductees/colin-pay/

Overall it was a tragedy that Col lost his life trying to fight fires using (I think) his own engineered 'Scoop', But I don't think Col was an engineer as such. I may have some of this wrong, and I certainly do not want to besmirch anyones memory or legacy, but my recollection is that Col was trying to find a solution to our not infrequent fires in a homegrown timely manner.

My recollection is that he ws stymied by the LNP government reluctance to invest in the equipment that would reduce the severity of fires and also by CASA. That is my memory of it. It may not be entirely factual.

I do however remember with clarity being shocked at the demise of such an accomplished aviator.

As for Greg Mullins..."well he would say that" in the words of Many Rice-Davies (?)...I remember it being said about the Canberra fires..was that also a falsehood? I am still rather certain that the Aboriginals conducted 'controlled' burn offs'. but don't know what their forecasts of High Temps Low Humidity and strong winds were...

Fortunately, the last I heard on the ABC on the way home was that the Helo pilot is in hospital with minor facial injuries, fleet grounded to rule out fuel contamination, and now back in the air.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by Hydromet » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:13 am

Why do you say "He would say that."? As a former commissioner, he has no obligation to politicians of any party who may try to bring pressure on those currently employed. He is in as good a position as anyone to know the facts about this. Frankly, I trust him rather than Miranda Devine and the rest of Murdoch's lying scum.

From Wikipeadia: The Greens NSW currently have 58 councillors on 32 local councils around NSW. In NSW local government elections were held in September 2016 and September 2017.
and
There are 158 councils in NSW.

So they are averaging less than two greens on the each of the small number of councils on which they have any representation. Most of the councils on which they are represented are inner city ones, which have very little bush in which to carry out fuel reduction burns. Even in our area, which surprisingly, has two Green councillors, they have had no influence over the burns that have or have not been carried out.
Responsibilities for the burns lies across the Rural Fire Service (72000 volunteers, 900+ state government staff), Forestry Corporation of NSW (owned by the NSW Government), Nation Parks NSW ( a NSW Government department) In the state parliament, the Greens have 3 out of 93 seats in the Legislative Assembly, and 3 out of 42 in the Legislative Assembly - hardly a position of strength from which to control, or even influence, policies on burn offs.

What happened in the ACT fires I don't know, so won't comment.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by Fliegenmong » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:50 am

I can't comment on his obligations or otherwise, but it does occur to me, as it does seemingly others, there is an unrepresentative influence of green policy's over the mainstream politicians wanting to be everything to everyone...to ensure their votes over the greens.

10 Years ago when death taxes was still a green thing, I asked a colleague how she would vote, she said "I don't know ... greens?".....at that time she had no idea that her inheritance could be potentially be nullified by her support of the greens...

Anyway, two party preferred prevents any real change, and the World order ensures it, I loathe the LNP, partes for the minority, and thus unrepresentative, if they stood alone and representated their beleifs they would have the courage of their convictionnsand not form an allainace. The lab y court reens references to try to stay relevant in a changing world.

As for my local councillor who avails himself once a year on election day and is shamelessy aligned to the LNP does sweet FA for us for the rest of is term, regrettably for him I was educated in the difference between local and state funding and mae him look stupid t the last election....and I'll make make him look stupid again this year....why? because he takes me for a fool...and he is typical of LNP pople who choose to take me for a fool

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:03 pm

Hydromet wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:13 am
Why do you say "He would say that."? As a former commissioner, he has no obligation to politicians of any party who may try to bring pressure on those currently employed. He is in as good a position as anyone to know the facts about this. Frankly, I trust him rather than Miranda Devine and the rest of Murdoch's lying scum.
Hydromet, a quick comment but don't let it derail the conversation arguably it might be completely irrelevant. When a former officer claims he is innocent I try to put a good portion of the blame mainly for not working to correct it efficiently.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:52 pm

Fliegenmong wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:50 am
10 Years ago when death taxes was still a green thing, I asked a colleague how she would vote, she said "I don't know ... greens?".....at that time she had no idea that her inheritance could be potentially be nullified by her support of the greens...
So you choose to vote on a single issue, when there are so many aspects due consideration? How sad. :-q

I have on occasions voted Green in a State election. Voting is compulsory in Australia. The Liberal/National Party have sold off every conceivable asset owned by the State, and even ones not owned, Labor are a disorganised rabble with significant number corrupt. So I either vote Green or informally (means doesn't count).

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by llondel » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:35 pm

I think it's important to turn up to vote, even if you then spoil the ballot. If you choose that option then make sure you spoil it properly, unlike the chap who drew a penis in the box for his local Tory candidate. As the only mark on the ballot, it was deemed a valid vote for the candidate.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#53 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:17 pm

llodnel, I thought any mark but a "+" renders the ballot invalid. How come a ballot with such a distinctive sign was judged valid?

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#54 Post by bob2s » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:06 pm

Speaking of the Greens,I wonder why she had this lunatic at her press conference.At least she has had the sense to distant herself from the comments.

https://7news.com.au/politics/domestic- ... s-c-555985

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by llondel » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:42 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:17 pm
llondel, I thought any mark but a "+" renders the ballot invalid. How come a ballot with such a distinctive sign was judged valid?
This is the BBC on the subject. http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... paper-mark

I believe the instructions say "mark only one box" or equivalent, so it doesn't matter what you put inside the box provided it's clear which one you meant. I think putting personal information (no proof it was a pic of his own dick) invalidates the ballot though. Electoral Commission guidelines say it can be counted if it's a clear intent.

On the other hand, there's this amusing Australian take on it...

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/breakin ... or-greens/
THE AUSTRALIAN ELECTORAL COMMISSION has ruled that a penis drawn anywhere on a ballot paper this election is automatically counted as a vote for The Greens.

In a landmark decision, AEC Federal Coordinator Faye Splushman said that the male genital best represents The Greens and what they stand for.

“Each year, there are so many dicks,” she said.

“There’s honestly thousands, maybe tens of thousands. So we’ve ruled this year that all the scribbled dicks on ballot papers should go to the biggest collection of dicks in the country,”

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by Hydromet » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:58 am

Love the Betoota Advocate. The take the piss out of all parties without bias. Trouble is, a lot of their stuff is too close to the truth!

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by Fliegenmong » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:53 am

So you choose to vote on a single issue, when there are so many aspects due consideration? How sad.

Au Contraire Alison!, it was to expose the young Lady's ignorance, in that she had cared not to a skerrick of research!

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#59 Post by Fliegenmong » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:02 am

Here is a guy who was on the radio this afternoon, somewhat surprisingly the ABC, can't find the interview now but here is a link to an interview he did in 2018

https://www.northqueenslandregister.com ... -trembath/

I say somewhat surprisingly as the ABC tends to favor the climate alarmists, he also made mention of Aboriginal 'Fire Stick Farming'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire-stick_farming

Essentially his thinking as a 20 plus year bushfire expert is that water bombing is 'reactionary', and that the focus should be more on 'Proactive', also referencing the 1939 fires in Victoria that killed 200 people, and further noting that the government report into the 1939 fires and the 2009 fires were earily similar, yet we just don't learn...