Doncaster Floods

General Chit Chat
Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Doncaster Floods

#21 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:57 am

There is an almost limitless supply of idiots*.
The first trick is to rename the roads, so Wetmore Lane becomes Hopwood Lane.
Next, don't hide the fact, but promote it as a feature - spectacular river views from your living room. Just remember not to mention that those views can be had in your living room every 10 years.
Lastly, counter any suggestions of riskiness with "The council considered all that** before granting approval."

More importantly, they all vote. For flood defences using the taxes paid by people who weren't dumb enough to build on a floodplain.

* It helps if you take complicated stuff like river formation out of the geography syllabus ('cos it's hard and has trig, which is maths!! ~X( ) and put in shopping surveys.

**And the non-executive directorships that a couple of the councillors' cousins got, plus the mayor's brother selling us the land for 3x the going rate ;)))

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:59 pm

Not a flood plain but a lovely piece of green field in the edge of a beautiful village handy for the A1.

Actually slightly higher than the adjacent A1 but the applicant had covered that. An earth bund would help deflect the noise. To further dampen the noise there would be a terrace of low cost housing backs to the road. The could use bedrooms on the other side of the house.

REJECTED.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by llondel » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:33 pm

It should be possible to build on flood plains, you just need to make sure the house living areas are raised sufficiently high by putting the whole thing on stilts. They manage this in some parts of the world. Even in Florida, we stayed at a friend's house where the house proper was upstairs and downstairs was basic storage and garage space for the car.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:51 pm

It's possible, but it isn't necessary.
The real problem with housing affordability is all down to Government regulations* and taxation, but they are never going to admit that.

Try building a tiny home, for example. It's basically impossible for at least 20 different reasons.

*That includes non-enforcement on the big builders as well as effectively pricing small builders with legal labour out of business. Owner-builders in the UK? Don't make me =))

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by llondel » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:54 pm

I still wouldn't knowingly buy a house on a flood plain. Even my last UK house, despite being about 25ft ASL, was several feet higher than the surrounding fenland and so was unlikely to flood before everything around it was lost. Contrast that the the new build on the flood plain in the next village.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:21 pm

llondel wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:33 pm
It should be possible to build on flood plains, you just need to make sure the house living areas are raised sufficiently high by putting the whole thing on stilts. They manage this in some parts of the world. Even in Florida, we stayed at a friend's house where the house proper was upstairs and downstairs was basic storage and garage space for the car.
We stayed in a villa in the Gulf coast, indeed built for a storm and while it would have been annoying to have the pool flooded but losing the car in garage or car port would have been a real pisser. I was surprised the garage didn't have a watertight door. First floor so you could continue to live safely, garage to protect your property too.

Admittedly, when we bought our previous home in 1984 flood risk wasn't high o n the list. At the bottom of the garden was a ditch that fed a stream which was 10feet below our house. The field the other side of the stream was developed and has a 'low' flood risk down the feeder road, the houses were clear. This welly that field is in the yellow risk zone; our old house a 100 yards away, is still white.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by 1DC » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:29 pm

We live about 50 miles from Doncaster and if they have had the rain we have had today then i am afraid things will have got worse..

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by llondel » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:56 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:21 pm
We stayed in a villa in the Gulf coast, indeed built for a storm and while it would have been annoying to have the pool flooded but losing the car in garage or car port would have been a real pisser. I was surprised the garage didn't have a watertight door. First floor so you could continue to live safely, garage to protect your property too.
I suspect the principle was that in the event of an impending flood, you'd lock up the house, get in the car and drive to higher ground, then come back afterwards when the water level went down. Then you'd still have your car and your home, and you'd just have to hose out the garage if it picked up flood crud.

ribrash

#29 Post by ribrash » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:05 pm

I can't find the exact story but I remember a bloke,maybe a farmer,have contractors deliver clay from a big building site and form a berm around his house which worked a treat when the area next flooded.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:34 pm

South of Winnipeg, where the Red River floods, all the houses are built on berms.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:59 pm

ribrash wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:05 pm
I can't find the exact story but I remember a bloke,maybe a farmer,have contractors deliver clay from a big building site and form a berm around his house which worked a treat when the area next flooded.
Somerset level floods, 2014.

Self help is wonderful. We had two hotels a couple of feet lower than us with proper cellars. Every couple of years the Fire Brigade would pump them out.

Then one of them actually installed a flood gate, but of course you need to get warning. New owners simply built a concrete berm.

Capetonian

#32 Post by Capetonian » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:47 pm

I have seen many houses built on flood plains and shaken my head in despair at the greed of the developers and slimy sales people, and the naivety of the purchasers.
It seems that they make so much money by selling such properties that even with the extra cost of insurance and a rebuild every few years, it is a profitable venture. This of course disregards the misery and loss to those who live in such dwellings.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:46 pm

Cape, we look around and see new build squeezed into micro plots, we see attractive houses built on unattractive sites and we wonder who would buy them. And the answer is someone for whom the price is right.

We looked at a particular estate and found an acceptable house but at the price it had some detail that made it over priced.

For our Dorset members we almost bought a house in Charlton Marshal. A few months later everyone was moved out because of the drains.