The supernatural

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The supernatural

#21 Post by OFSO » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:45 pm

What, I wonder, is the physiological reason for the "shivers" and "tingles" in one's spine when reading of events like the above?

Possibly being like myself, as tight as a duck's you-know-what, and turning the CH thermostat down !

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by Hydromet » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:50 pm

We once owned a former school and lived in the old teacher's house. At some time during its 100 year history, it was recorded that a young girl had died there from a brown snake bite.

Mother in law, who was unaware of this fact, reported, after her first night there, waking up to find a young girl standing next to her bed, looking at her.

Dream? Who knows? She insists it wasn't.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by John Hill » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:43 pm

I washed my ute last week and it poured with rain the next day. That was not the first time it has happened!
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by Fliegenmong » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:23 am

Well it wouldn't in ENZED would it John, funny post though :-bd
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by OFSO » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:57 pm

I owned a house in France at one time which the previous owner had set on fire and then blown his head off with a shotgun, leaving his remains to be nicely crisped before the fire was extinguished. On the occasion of my parents' first visit, my mother on hearing this said "don't tell your father."

Next morning at breakfast my father said "I had an extraordinary dream last night - someone burned and black with glowing red eyes approached me wanting something...." Cue a "quickly change the subject" look from my mum across the breakfast table.

True !

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by A Lutra Continua » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:18 pm

Had a crew house to myself in the UK. The house was 400 years old and there were a few stories around that it was haunted. I encouraged all the ghost talk and eventually no one else would stay there with me, instead crowding into an already small alternative crew house. I identified the source of most of the creaks and bangs and doors mysteriously opening as the house settling and wind blowing down an open flue in the kitchen. Kept it to myself, as I did with the large sheet of plastic caught in a light fitting outside the bedroom window, giving rise to the mysterious flapping and rustling reported by one particularly unnerved occupant.

Got rid of the last bloke who was a bit superstitious by innocently asking what the carriage drawn by four black horses was doing in the driveway, local wisdom being that anyone who saw it was doomed, doomed I tell you. I had to bring him half his kit when we signed on that night as he just grabbed a half unpacked bag and set sail for healthier, albeit slightly more crowded climes.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:32 pm

Many years ago - before mobile phones so we couldn't discuss this enroute - and in the very early days of our relationship before we were married, Mrs C16 and I were driving late one night in separate cars down the A90 from near Aberdeen to Glasgow to clear the last few things out of the flat she had down there at that time. I was leading and south of Dundee this ghostly, almost human form apparition, floated across the road and turned and looked at me before disappearing. When we got to Glasgow Mrs C16 was visibly upset. She had seen it as well and she said it looked like her deceased father - who I had never met.

It was a clear night with no fog about and we were in open country and not near any industrial site which could have produced the phenomena......
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:57 pm

Not the superstitious type myself but I have seen my Mom on several occasions over the years since she passed. That without a doubt.
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by 500N » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:22 pm

A Lutra Continua wrote:Got rid of the last bloke who was a bit superstitious by innocently asking what the carriage drawn by four black horses was doing in the driveway, local wisdom being that anyone who saw it was doomed, doomed I tell you. I had to bring him half his kit when we signed on that night as he just grabbed a half unpacked bag and set sail for healthier, albeit slightly more crowded climes.

=)) =)) =))

A lutra

Thanks, I needed a good laugh ! :D That is gold.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by 500N » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:24 pm

When out spotlighting, often a little bit of mist forms in low points on ground.

As you swing the spotlight around and of course the car is moving, you do get some weird and wonderful "shapes"
appear in the mist / fog.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by OFSO » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:47 pm

My wife just walked into our kitchen, there was a cry of 'bloody hell', a bottle of soy sauce flew of the shelf and hit her. "F-- poltergeist is back" she said. Hasn't been around for some years and then it was just books off the library shelves.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:02 pm

500N wrote:When out spotlighting, often a little bit of mist forms in low points on ground.

As you swing the spotlight around and of course the car is moving, you do get some weird and wonderful "shapes"
appear in the mist / fog.

When out spotlighting? WTF is that? Is that the Aussie version of cow-tipping on a Saturday night? :D :))
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by 500N » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:31 pm

We drive around fields / farmland at night, trying to catch wayward Kiwi Shearers and other farm workers
having surreptitious way with the sheep and cows :D

No, seriously, we drive around shooting mostly vermin - like foxes, cats that are stupid enough to hand around (they don't),
rabbits, hares, pigs and if permitted Kangaroos (where they get classed as vermin). Very effective way of getting rid of pests.
Especially during lambing season when the foxes can decimate a flock of sheep, lambs. The eyes light up when hit with a spotlight.

Then shot anywhere between 10 yards and 400 yards with a scoped rifle.

Airborne Aircrew
Capt
Capt

#34 Post by Airborne Aircrew » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:59 am

RGB:

You didn't know what spotlighting was...

Shame on you...

PS: It's illegal in most states... Know the laws before you load the weapon... ;-)
Reasons for being banned to date:-

1. Espousing extreme views
2. PITA, (love this one)...

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by 500N » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:04 am

AA / RGB

Americans love gong out spotlighting when they visit, partly because it's different, partly because
they get to shoot a lot, unlike say the US where the odd shot.

dubbleyew eight
Capt
Capt

#36 Post by dubbleyew eight » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:11 am

illegal?? what a load of tripe.
most cars are made for spotlighting.
if you have a look at the rear view mirror on the door there is a notch. if that isn't for resting the rifle....
high beam on cars is perfect for spotlighting.

with a scope set for a few hundred yards the hardest shots are the close ones. I shoot those instinctively so the scope doesn't get adjusted all the time.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by 500N » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:20 am

W8

I think he meant in the US, where it is illegal in most states of the US.

re close shots, I hate missing foxes - because as you know it trains them - but I missed one at 10 yards
because it was running so fast towards us, the car, the whistle. He ran off so went to meet him the other
side of the paddock !!!

dubbleyew eight
Capt
Capt

#38 Post by dubbleyew eight » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:23 am

for heavens sake america is just a big movie lot. it isn't a real place.
who cares what their laws are.

Slasher

#39 Post by Slasher » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:08 pm

america is just a big movie lot. it isn't a real place.

I beg to differ mate. Its LA that's one big movie lot. The hotel we
overnighted at in Marina Del Rey was a stones throw away from a
nice little drinking hole at the marina itself. Honestly the hugely
pretentious local chicks who gathered there almost made one :ymsick:

Then we moved South y'all to the Sheraton Torrance next to that big
bloody Del Amo shopping joint. Again we found a nearby nice place in
which to pleasantly guzzle piss - and yet AGAIN hopeful starlets were
there Holly Huntering and Meryl Streeping as if their sh!t didn't stink.

I tried to fit in by Al Bundying but it didn't work.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by boing » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:12 pm

Strange.

I am now sitting where the feet of my father-in-law would have been when he died a little over ten years ago (my office was turned into a downstairs bedroom for convenience). My cat (those creatures of sensitivity to paranormal events) is sitting next to my keyboard hoping for a treat. "Dad" was the nicest individual imaginable and he certainly would avoid causing his family distress by returning. In those ten years there has been no suggestion of the supernatural and the cat, who lives in my office, has never shown any type of discomfort there.

In England, before I left for the US I experienced four odd events.

In the first I was in room where a close relative had recently died. Something happened which seemed to be a sign but then nothing ever happened in the room again as far as I know. I had visited the body soon after death but missed the funeral.

The second event also involved a recent death but of a relative of a friend of mine. I was at their house when another odd event took place. Apparently they experienced several such events but after a while things calmed down.

The third time was at a B&B in southern England. I went out for a walk at dusk and saw something very strange. I mentioned this to the B&B owner who gave me a sudden look, stammered, and then changed the subject. I suspect that she knew what had happened.

The fourth time was while I was driving with a girlfriend. On a certain stretch of road we both fell silent and on leaving the area we found we had both had the same cold, hair-tingling, frightening feeling on that stretch of road.

Weird things happen, we don't know why.
the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.