Bow Ties

General Chit Chat
Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Bow Ties

#1 Post by Fliegenmong » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:58 am

I donned one a while back, it was a Christmas present from my SIL from a few years back, but it was a pre tied clip on one, and it looks it too. It dawned on me that OM15 has as his picture of a dapper chap in a bow tie, and it may be of someone I should know and not actually OM15, perhaps I'm too young..

But by way of dressing up a little, I've enjoyed the Bow Tie, even though here in Australia it'll guarantee you some weird looks...
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Capetonian

Re: Bow Ties

#2 Post by Capetonian » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:35 am

I used to work with someone who wore a bow tie. He was French, in his 30s, and a pretentious wanker. The bowtie added to his pretentiousness. The irony was that although he dressed immaculately, his attention to personal hygiene was non-existent.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:41 am

Capetonian, I feel for you for that smell. Ties come and go out of fashion. I think they are in return now.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:50 am

I know more about bow echoes than bow ties, but received some very good advice on this very site on the right attire and colour bow tie to wear for a formal do earlier this year (or was it last)? I must admit that it was one of those elasticated things so shame on me but I haven't a clue how to tie a bow tie!

It is said that Gene Krantz wore a bow tie and smoked a cigar. I can see it, what the buzz cut and the can do attitude but I suspect the story about the bow tie is apocryphal as all the photo's I have seen of him have been with a normal tie (save for the one below). The film Apollo 13 probably has a lot to answer for.

Gene Kranz.JPG
Gene Kranz.JPG (29.17 KiB) Viewed 818 times
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by om15 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:54 am

Fliegs, I have never worn a bow tie, and where ever possible avoid an ordinary tie. The chap in the picture is Count Arthur Strong, (google him), he is suffering the ravages of time and tends to struggle with life rather, I often share his confusion with the ordinary.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by ian16th » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:05 pm

I only wear a tie nowadays at funerals.

I did learn how to tie a bow tie, but didn't practice enough to become proficient at it. But I wanted to keep the 'tied look'.
I tied my bow tie slackly around my thigh, and then cut the tie at the back.
I then stitched through the 'bow' to secure the knot.
Then I stitched Velcro to the two ends.

Result an easy to put on traditionally 'tied' bow tie.

That was about 20 years ago, dunno where it is now.
Cynicism improves with age

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Boac » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:11 pm

I would probably have stitched the tie to my trousers!

A curse on any Occifer who should dare to wear a clip-on. Dwinkies all-wound, I fear.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Fliegenmong » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:21 pm

I've just ordered a lovely purple self tie bow tie , with a very thin white stripe and a thicker navy blue stripe as a highlight, will 'tie' in perfectly with a navy suit, pocket square with complimentary colours and a Boutonnierer ....ready to go :)
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:57 pm

Fliegenmong wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:21 pm
I've just ordered a lovely purple self tie bow tie , with a very thin white stripe and a thicker navy blue stripe as a highlight, will 'tie' in perfectly with a navy suit, pocket square with complimentary colours and a Boutonnierer ....ready to go :)
:-bd

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#10 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:47 pm

Before dining in night could tie it perfectly. Then the challenge that it was a clip which I always won resulted in many disasters after a few beers.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Boac » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:49 pm

Boutonnierer - had to Google that - I didn't go to Cranwell, you see..............

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:55 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:47 pm
Before dining in night could tie it perfectly. Then the challenge that it was a clip which I always won resulted in many disasters after a few beers.
I would have thought that not being able to tie one's bow tie, even if slightly squiffy, would have been a Mess Webley moment akin to passing the port the wrong way round... :)

Perhaps shooting oneself was only an army thing.... To lose a soldier, slightly unfortunate. To lose an RAF officer a damned disaster. :))

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by barkingmad » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:55 pm

They seem/seemed to be de rigeur with gynaecological medical chaps for whatever reason whilst they spent their days closely observing wimmins’ bits.

Also regularly sported by the former chief medic of BA, he who claimed fume events involving aircrew were due to hyperventilating!

Either way I’d be suspicious near anyone who regularly sported one on a daily basis. Fond memories of attempting to tie the blasted things, having consumed a pint or three, in a quiet panic just before a formal mess function. Sometimes got it first attempt, more often required repeated tries just like a good rugby game.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#14 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:09 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:55 pm
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:47 pm
I would have thought that not being able to tie one's bow tie, even if slightly squiffy, would have been a Mess Webley moment akin to passing the port the wrong way round... :)

Perhaps shooting oneself was only an army thing.... :))

GG it was a very serious and expensive matter if your bow tie was a clip on.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:23 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:09 pm
GG it was a very serious and expensive matter if your bow tie was a clip on.
A mess offence! Couldn't a chap escape the taint of ignominy by buying a round? :)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Boac » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:16 pm

See post #7 - Dwinkies on TGG :))

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:35 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:16 pm
See post #7 - Dwinkies on TGG :))
Ah! Oh well, it might be expensive but not nearly as bad as having to shoot oneself I'll wager! :)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

603DX
Capt
Capt

#18 Post by 603DX » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:59 pm

I quite like wearing a bow tie, if it's black and for a special occasion requiring a DJ or even the flashy white tuxedo jacket, such as a ball in a decent hotel or on a cruise which has gala nights. This has something to do with the very first time I wore the penguin suit, which was a glorious freebie at the Savoy Hotel in London. In the early 1960s a wealthy former patient at the Charing Cross hospital had generously financed an annual ball for hospital staff, and since my fiancee was a staff nurse there, I got the benefit too. The feeling of hailing a cab whilst dressed up to the nines and saying "the Savoy Hotel, please", was a bit of a novelty outside my small Chelsea flat. :D

Subsequent attendances at professional events in my job justified buying the bow tie and accoutrements rather than hiring from Moss Bros, and also came in handy for "gala nights" on holiday cruises. Doesn't suit everyone nowadays apparently, as some cruises emphasise that they are "informal", with no dress-up evenings, but we knew which we preferred.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:23 pm

Just before my daughter left the RLC HQ at Worthy Down, as PMC, she had a dining in night to RAF rules. The store men, shop keepers and cooks had to be briefed on the rules, including Port and Miss Vice.

The catering contractors refused any help from the RAF students so protocol was largely absent. They had no idea how to serve the food or clear the plates.

Went well though with no bow tie testing and must say, for a bunch of brown coats they had a fine selection of silver.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by ian16th » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:26 pm

603DX wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:59 pm
I quite like wearing a bow tie, if it's black and for a special occasion requiring a DJ or even the flashy white tuxedo jacket, such as a ball in a decent hotel or on a cruise which has gala nights. This has something to do with the very first time I wore the penguin suit, which was a glorious freebie at the Savoy Hotel in London. In the early 1960s a wealthy former patient at the Charing Cross hospital had generously financed an annual ball for hospital staff, and since my fiancee was a staff nurse there, I got the benefit too. The feeling of hailing a cab whilst dressed up to the nines and saying "the Savoy Hotel, please", was a bit of a novelty outside my small Chelsea flat. :D

Subsequent attendances at professional events in my job justified buying the bow tie and accoutrements rather than hiring from Moss Bros, and also came in handy for "gala nights" on holiday cruises. Doesn't suit everyone nowadays apparently, as some cruises emphasise that they are "informal", with no dress-up evenings, but we knew which we preferred.
At a Banquet and or Ball you should wear a white tie & tails!

A DJ of whatever colour, would be as incorrect as a lounge suit.
Cynicism improves with age