Why are New Zealand white wines so good!

General Chit Chat
Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Why are New Zealand white wines so good!

#41 Post by Fliegenmong » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:44 am

My keyboard playing up sorry, I meant to say 'I think I know why' & Kiwi violence, not Kvence!

Maybe the thread drift needs it's own thread...assuming this guy was a Kiwi, he played for the Auckland based Rugby league team in the Aust. comp, wife looks it and sounds like it, the childrens names..

https://www.news.com.au/national/queens ... bfeb4c3b6f

Charming guy....at least we won't need to deport this one...
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Capetonian

#42 Post by Capetonian » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:54 am

" Kiwi violence, not Kvence"
Thank you, I'd been trying to work that one out! I thought the K referred to ZA's non-reflective folk, but then I don't suppose you have many of those in AU.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by FD2 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:16 am

"Assuming this guy was a Kiwi" - does it matter? Is mental health such a laughing matter for you? Where he was born isn't really of any importance is it? He played for the Warriors, but as you know plenty of Aussies play over here and plenty of Kiwis like top flight player Shaun Johnson play in Oz - it is rugby league you know. There are lots of strange first names on both sides of the Tasman so that's no guide to background, but the most important thing is that a man went off his head and killed his family and by no twisted sense of right and wrong can that be a cause for sneering and celebration: "at least we won't need to deport this one".

Quite frankly you have let yourself and your country down and you disgust me. Either sober up or f*ck off - they need your type on TOP.

Capetonian

#44 Post by Capetonian » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:25 am

When I was working in Sydney I noticed and understood a joking rivalry between AU and NZ, mostly I think over sport. I never saw the unpleasant undercurrent demonstrated here by Fliegenmong, and I only experienced hospitality and warmth from the Australians I met.

I'd like to think that he represents an extreme minority in his hatred of certain other nations, and I agree with FD2.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:15 pm

I attended this Kiwi wine trade tasting some years back and again last year with a friend who runs a restaurant in London. Nice people, nice wine...

Didn't make it this year but some interesting wines are noted here.

https://www.vinosaurus.co.uk/best-new-z ... ng-london/
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:05 pm

........made wonder me where the term Pom came from in the first place?
IMHO ... wasn't it because the first British ( English ? ) deportees sent to Aus. wore clothing bearing the inscription P O M ( or maybe P.O.H.M. ? ) Prisoner Of His/Her ? Majesty.

Or is it just another urban myth ?

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#47 Post by bob2s » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:19 pm

TGG a bit of light reading re the word POM

https://slll.cass.anu.edu.au/centres/an ... -origins/p

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:41 pm

bob2s wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:19 pm
TGG a bit of light reading re the word POM

https://slll.cass.anu.edu.au/centres/an ... -origins/p

The Goblin's Aunt... mate I am not kidding you...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:52 pm

Even Mary Poppins came from the South ...

I salute the wines of friendship between all of us, and even the grumpy, aggressive buggers who drink, love and wine under the Southern Cross..
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by FD2 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:35 am

Goblin - apologies for my 'language' on your thread and any offence caused.

The father was clearly off his head and mentally unstable, but the loss of four innocent lives is not a gloating matter. I've had my say about the booze so I'm out of this one.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:53 am

FD2 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:35 am
Goblin - apologies for my 'language' on your thread and any offence caused.

The father was clearly off his head and mentally unstable, but the loss of four innocent lives is not a gloating matter. I've had my say about the booze so I'm out of this one.
FD2, with men like you, civilization is assured.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by Fliegenmong » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:18 am

I'd like to think that he represents an extreme minority in his hatred of certain other nations,

Kinda like your adoration of the French eh?

I, like most Australians I suspect, have several good friends originating from the land of the long white cloud.

I have though pointed out there is an awful lot of domestic violence and violent crimes perpetrated by Kiwi ex-pats, that is just a fact, and someone here noted how crime has increased in NZ since we started deporting them.

Mental illness, sure!, I think ISIS people are also suffering mental illness and no, no gloating on my part, just again pointing out a fact.

Oh, and another fact has emerged, you guessed it...he was actually another New Zealander!

I know much was made of Aust. players in NZ, & NZ players in Aust. and everyone has odd names now so how could I know. I knew because, I see it in the Nations newspapers all too frequently that's why!

On that note I need say no more, unless you've a preference for me to post daily links to this scourge?

My preference is for a crisp dry Rose over Whites for general quaffing

Capetonian

#53 Post by Capetonian » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:24 am

Kinda like your adoration of the French eh?

Unlike your good self, in respect of your views about South Africans, I happen to have lived and worked amongst French people, in France and elsewhere, and speak their (bloody awful) language, which I think places me on terra firma to criticise. It may also have gone over your head that some of my remarks about the French are tongue in cheek, however the underlying sentiments that I have expressed about them in a professional context are indeed meant seriously.

May I ask what your experience of South Africa and its people is? Of course you don't have to answer, silence will speak volumes.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by Fliegenmong » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:36 am

Oh, and how could I forget...I knew Mark Wallace, he was a childhood friend of a friend of mine. Mark was only a little guy but had a crack through his skull from ear to ear...so perhaps I am in it a little personally....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/210878/Kiw ... ter-charge

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by FD2 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:21 am

Here's the positive proof: I knew because, I see it in the Nations newspapers all too frequently that's why!

That's all the proof we needed.

Peter Falconio was a friend of my second cousin's neighbour, I think.
Peter Falconio & Joanne Lees.jpg
Peter Falconio & Joanne Lees.jpg (7.12 KiB) Viewed 162 times
Here's a photo of the evil Kiwi who murdered Peter:
Bradley Murdoch.jpg
Bradley Murdoch.jpg (8.67 KiB) Viewed 162 times

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by FD2 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:25 am

Here are some more evil Kiwis who slaughtered innocent people in Australia:
Dale Cregan.jpg
Dale Cregan.jpg (4.73 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Ivan Milat.jpg
Ivan Milat.jpg (8.86 KiB) Viewed 161 times
See - the 'proof' is there if you know where to look.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by Fliegenmong » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:31 am

No silence ... :

Why the assumption I have not lived and worked in France?

My experience of South Africa is nil by way of standing on South Africa soil personally, though my Parents did maybe 18 odd yrs ago and bought back a copy of a local paper, what struck me was for how many pages the obituaries went for!

My experience of it's people now residing here has been very extensive over the last 20 plus years.

So very often, most all of us find, common courtesies are simply dispensed with when dealing with ex South Africans. Such that the impression we are so often left with is one of arrogance, a general air of superiority.

It may / must be a cultural thing that has never been explained to us? It certainly results in no more invites to the 'Backyard Barbie'...or Braai (?) if you will.

I have a friend who works in the gated communities in the northern parts of our City, where many many Ex South Africans live. In fact they flock to these gated communities, and I suppose because they are the safer places to live in South Africa? Would that be correct? Not so here, but we don't let on...

Anyway, Lots of very large waterfront (Canal) homes etc. where my friend works. These are man made canals fed by a river. The canal colour is perhaps like that of the River Sonderland, maybe a little clearer, but certainly NOT blue!

A very aggressive South African Lady rings up my friend DEMANDING he turn the canal 'a nice blue colour', as she had a friend coming from Melbourne and didn't want to be embarrassed but the colour of 'Her' canal. =)) She's known locally now as 'Canal Woman'.

Anyway 'Canal Woman' is a funny story, she was deadly serious though someone should do something to change the colour of the water. She is however a rather accurate little example of the seeming 'unreasonableness' that we find in the majority of South AAfricans we encounter here. As I said, there are a LOT of ex South Africans here.

For some reason the ex Zimbabweans here, display none of the grotesque attributes that many ex South Africans do. They seem genuinely grateful to be here and are willing to integrate into the community.

We siy Ozzies cannot tell the Diff between an SA & Zim accent though!

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by Fliegenmong » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:39 am

FD, am I to take it by your above postings that I am to spend my time trolling through newspaper articles to counter your postings?

'Spose I could, I have effortlessly done so already & I think it would be somewhat childish, and I really don't have the time or inclination to...but is that what you are inferring / asking I do? (only seen pictures of faces at this time, haven't read anything as I was typing a reply to Cape. (quick glance)...Was Milat a Kiwi?

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#59 Post by Fliegenmong » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:02 pm

Quite frankly you have let yourself and your country down and you disgust me.

Well no,Actually this guy disgusts me

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia ... hs-earlier

And this guy

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 542kd.html

These are the people who have let themselves down, and their country down! No doubt you will be equally supportive of the next terrorist attack and howl down anyone who dares call it for what it is..

...By the way, my Friend Mark Wallace, murdered by a NZ National living here, also lost a Sister in the Bali bombings, what do you suppose his parents make of violent NZ nationals and Islamic terrorists?...I'll let you know next I'm down their way..

Capetonian

#60 Post by Capetonian » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:25 pm

Why the assumption I have not lived and worked in France?
I wasn't making that assumption, it was badly phrased, and the assumption I was making was that you hadn't lived and worked in South Africa .... and you have confirmed that as correct.
I agree that when I wrote "Unlike your good self, in respect of your views about South Africans, I happen to have lived and worked amongst French people, in France and elsewhere" it was ambiguous, for which my apologies.

Many South Africans are arrogant, selfish, and boorish, but then so are many Australians. Unfortunately when they emigrate, a lot of them become like your 'canal woman', or to put it more accurately, whereas in ZA such behaviour might go unnoticed, in AU it will stand out and be picked on because the person is an outsider wiff a funny excent.

You are right about the difference between Rhodesians (most of them are, and prefer to be called, Rhodesian rather than Zimbabwean) and South Africans, the former are often far kinder, gentler, more accepting and gracious and softly spoken.

I've never set foot in China, but almost without exception the Chinese people I've met have been pushy, abrasive, and mercenary. Does that entitle me to pass that judgement on 1.5 billion of the slit eyed yellow skinned little buggers? I don't think so (although I just have!)

You are doing the same with South Africans albeit only 58 million or so. It seems you've met some seriously nasty ones and I hope one day you'll meet some better ones.

Shall we leave this here, as it has really gone off topic, and agree to disagree perhaps?

Best wishes.