The BBC.

General Chit Chat
ribrash

The BBC.

#1 Post by ribrash » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:36 pm

Apologies if mentioned before,but who thinks the BBC should become a subscription service or done away with completely. I do. On BBC 2 today from 06-45am to 03-00am tomorrow there are 16 repeat programs. I can't see many people wanting to pay subscriptions when the realise they are watching repeated dross.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The BBC.

#2 Post by tango15 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:24 pm

I totally agree. Not only that, but they show athletics all day (when it's not snooker), and neither attract much in the way of spectatorship - the athletics stadia are invariably half empty. The sports which are worth watching are all on Sky or BT anyway, which people seem happy to pay for, so why not a subscription service? The thing which amazes me with, for example, costume dramas, is the amount of people needed to produce the programme. The other point, which many eagle-eyed viewers have mentioned is how few people there are staffing the desks in the background of BBC News, yet all of them seem fully-equipped with screens and all the other paraphernalia. Presumably the expression 'hot desking' has never reached the ears of the mandarins at the BBC.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:32 pm

How does one acquire a licence for BBC Television?

My Post Office(s) tell me that they have no dealings with the BBC.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:56 pm

Today's UK News page of the online Torygraph has thirty-four 'Premium' stories and four 'non-premium'.

Is this the future for the Beeb?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:55 pm

Sky has free to air News channel. The BBC should carry free to air News and current affairs and public broadcasting such as religious services on BBC 1. As now BBC 1 could carry repeats that we have already paid for. BBC 2/4 should be subscription, say sport on one and entertainment on the other. As soon as they find the cost of provision exceeds revenue they could bin 2 or 4.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:31 pm

I agree with ribrash, make it a subscription channel. The buggahs have got over-cocky with spending the money from the licence tax, thinking they don't have to explain what they spend the money on. Waiting for the Information Commissioner to decide whether they should cough on how much they spent sending a news team to Australia after giving my original request the two-fingered salute.
It's always my fault - SWMBO