SAS, Car, Air and Sea Sickness

General Chit Chat
tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: SAS, Car, Air and Sea Sickness

#21 Post by tango15 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:59 pm

In a similar vein to G-CPTN, I was once sent to our German office to work for a month, complete with car, wife and very young son. We took the ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge, but considering it was midsummer, the crossing was anything but smooth. Much time was spent in the heads with myself and the lad, and little sleep was had. Foolishly, but feeling below par, I left the navigation to the other half (who had not been affected at all), and it was only after we passed the Atomium for the second time that I realised we had missed the turning off the Brussels ring road. The return sailing was much calmer and with a much shorter drive at that end for which I didn't require a map!

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:52 pm

Motion sickness doesn't bother me, in fact anytime I was out in a boat doing sea fishing, the rougher the better. The roughest trip was one of the RAF Sea Angling Championships out of Langstone Harbour. We were fishing off the Nab and the skipper reckoned it was a force 8 gale. The sea was pretty violent that day and I was black and blue from being thrown about but I caught fish and kept my breakfast down. Even flying as SLF, bumpy rides didn't bother me.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:50 pm

I have not been fortunate enough to do any aerobatics or parabolic flights but I am immune to motion sickness bar a couple of incidences. The first one was on a flight to BRU but it was the destination I didn't like and I felt uneasy.

Turbulence doesn't make me uncomfortable with a small exemption a short time in 2009 where a combination of a boob related issue and AF477 made me nervous when turbulence occurred - back in autumn 2009 people thought the 447 crash had such a cause. Then one day I flew on crystal clear day and everything was a smooth sailing after it.

And since we mentioned sailing I had a very very distant annoyance once on sea state 6 crossing but it went away within minutes. Then around 2002 I was learning to sail and everything was perfect until the now wife of friend mentioned never to go in the cabin of a sailing ship while under way. That was it next time I went down in the living area I was sick (in the stomach) I had to avoid going there under any reason. Couple of years later I was ordered to go down for some navigation task but I was not able to find one of the instruments. I was so absorb to look for it that I realised the stomach sickness was gone and it never returned.

A friend of mine told me once (quoting a medically qualified person) that there are two sea sickness stomach and head. One goes away the other is for life. Unfortunately I don't remember which one is which.

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#24 Post by Smeagol » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:02 pm

Have never suffered from car sickness or air sickness (though 35 mins of aeros in a Pitts Special did mean that I really did not have much of an appetite for lunch).

Sea sickness, not normally, even when emigrating to South Africa in 1975 on the mailship SA Oranje encountered a force 10-11 gale in the Bay of Biscay, had a full English breakfast followed by kippers! Though like Cape I was almost sick when taken fishing off Cape Point trolling for snoek. The motion when just keeping enough speed to keep a steady course was certainly chunder inducing.

Whilst not causing sickness, back in the late 1980's I spent some weeks on old gas platforms in the southern North Sea during their demanning. One of them was just a barge jacked up on six legs with no bracing between them which gave it a very individual motion in any kind of sea state. After a day on there returning across the connecting bridge to the adjoining, more conventional, jacket supported, platform caused one to stagger around for a while and finally getting back shore was also a bit strange for a bit!
We hates Bagginses!

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:54 pm

I should be the only person in the forum that I have fallen sick on immobile facility: during my military service, I caught a cold nothing serious it gave me a bit of everything cough, fever, running nose... We used to sleep a bit like travellers on a truck turned to a bedroom. As it was February it blew hard and I got notion sickness because of the way the truck was shaken by the wind. Happy times.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:07 pm

The only time I've come close to an airborne technical yawn, quoting the local vernacular, was in a Chipmunk at Chivenor in 1957. Brown paper bag already prepared when we landed before needed. Did get to feel very very funny on the tum on a camel though. Suspect that was more sun induced. Short trip with the Trucial Oman Scouts near Buraimi Oasis in 1966. Only a couple of Kms but wow. Came awfully close to fertilising the desert.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:22 am

On the very day that I gave my 2 week notice to take my first 135 job (flying the Canyon)my very large Native American flight student threw up on me. He told me he didn't feel well and I could see he wasn't going to make it. I took control of the plane and simultaneously reached across him to open the small DV window. Before I could shove his face against it and he spewed all over my arm. :((
Turned out the he was on the two meal a day plan (buffet style) so he would load up in the morning to carry him through til dinner. Unfortunately, his 10 A.M. flight period was just about the time high desert started heating up.
Afterwards, I realized that this was a sign that I had done the right thing (giving notice). :YMAPPLAUSE:
Little did I know that I would go through hundreds of yak sacks over the next several years. :))

PP

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by Hydromet » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:44 am

I don't know if it's still the case, but the Maryvale paper mill near Traralgon used to emit a plume that smelled like a mix of baby's nappy and boiled cabbage. On one flight (as pax), as we were descending through it to land, the other passenger, who had been fine until then, could no longer contain his stomach. Fortunately, he grabbed the bag in time. I suspect that he wasn't the first or last.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#29 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:30 am

Living on Amorgos we were on ships all the time. Eight hours to Athens on very large comfortable ships. We have a small ship based on the island which goes between the small Cyclades islands. It was a river boat and is flat bottomed. It rolls and pitches resulting in a corkscrew effect. Below is about force four. It is limited to seven. We have been on it at eight. It was lifting out of the water and slamming down. We honestly thought it was going to break up. The biggest problem for us is all the tourists throwing up around you. We refuse to get on it now even flat calm.

'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by Wodrick » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:25 am

Car.
Quite young, back seat, trying to read, on the A6 going to Morecambe long ago when the M6 was just the "Preston By-pass" The only time.
Sea.
Never actually sick, on a trip round Lefkas on a boat which sounds very similar to that recounted by *ExA* above. it was fine running downwind but when it turned round the Southern tip of the island off it went and all around started throwing up, close for me but contents retained.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:30 am

As a teenager, I used to visit Newark (Nottinghamshire), passing the brewery there was a strong smell that made me want to wretch.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by Wodrick » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:11 am

A long time ago, mid 70s I guess, one of the perks was going over to Speke to put the 748 to bed.
Just over the Runcorn bridge there was a factory that I swear made the slime that collected in the bottom of dustbins.
Ditto Retch.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:19 am

Wodrick wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:11 am
A long time ago, mid 70s I guess, one of the perks was going over to Speke to put the 748 to bed.
Just over the Runcorn bridge there was a factory that I swear made the slime that collected in the bottom of dustbins.
Ditto Retch.
I am surprised that the stench didn't drive the Speke ghost off the airfield.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by Wodrick » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:36 am

I am surprised that the stench didn't drive the Speke ghost off the airfield.
Just into the Lovely Art Deco Terminal. Knew it was listed, didn't know it was now a hotel. We were once in the ticket office having a brew about 0300, one of the chaps came back from a wander to see what he could steal, "come and see what I've found"
Tommy Cooper !
Who started up as soon as he had an audience.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by tango15 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:05 am

Wodrick wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:11 am
Ditto Retch.
Yes, it was a chemical factory in Widnes, the only town in the country that grew brown daffodils, as Ken Dodd once said.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by ian16th » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:52 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:30 am
As a teenager, I used to visit Newark (Nottinghamshire), passing the brewery there was a strong smell that made me want to wretch.
When I lived in Tadcaster, a town with 3 breweries, I used to enjoy he smell of 'malting days'.
Cynicism improves with age

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:24 pm

ian16th wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:52 pm
G-CPTN wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:30 am
When I lived in Tadcaster, a town with 3 breweries, I used to enjoy he smell of 'malting days'.
From my Sunderland experience it is more annoying than nauseating.

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#38 Post by larsssnowpharter » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:39 pm

I once nearly three up on an aircraft. I was in the Air Scouts and 4 of us (all early teens) were on an air experience flight around Aden. The rest all chucked and the stench got me close but held it down.

There is one form of flight that makes me queasy. If I fly a 25 metre sailplane along a cloud street, I am pulling up in thermals and slowing down. You then speed up in the sink before the repeating at the next thermal. The wings do a lot of bending and, basically, the fuselage 'bounces' quite a bit. The effect is like going over multiple hump back bridges. A bit unsettling.

I've done a lot of sailing and find a sailboat more comfortable than a ferry or similar. However, it takes me a day or two to get my land legs after a decent cruise and I sway around when walking and get accused of being drunk.