Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

General Chit Chat
G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

#1321 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:33 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:14 pm
flock of Arctic terns and walk close to their eggs. That will certainly agitate the bird and the dipoles... :)
Absolutely foul birds in the breeding season who will attack and dive bomb at will.
Indeed - several visits to the Farne Islands confirm that - for my last visit I wore my chainsawing hat.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1322 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:42 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:21 pm
Problem with wind turbines is they kill birds. The Chump told us. Rule that out of the 'green' equation.

Trump is a big bleach man isn't he? Perhaps if I send him an admiring note pointing out that large amount of industrial bleach mixed with hydrochloric acid will produce chlorine which can be used to manufacture wind turbine blades made out of chlorine-based epoxy resins to help convert wind power to electrical power, thereby converting him to wind turbine generated electricity ...

The residual bleach can be used as an anti-Covid potion.

=))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1323 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:09 pm

I thought he said that wind turbines cause cancer.
Remember, he is a health care expert. =))

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1324 Post by Boac » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:49 pm

I thought he said that wind turbines cause cancer.
- Yes, indeed an expert on that, but he also announced his expertise on 'seeing' all the dead birds at the foot of the masts. Truly a wondrous thing sent down from above. There will be footage somewhere in his 'library of stoopid things I said'.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1325 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:04 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:49 pm
Yes, indeed an expert on that, but he also announced his expertise on 'seeing' all the dead birds at the foot of the masts. Truly a wondrous thing sent down from above. There will be footage somewhere in his 'library of stoopid things I said'.
Wasn't that a crowd of Moozlamics in Noo Joisey, celebrating the downfall of the WTC?

He wondrously saw it too, y'now. He saw it from atop his Tower.

BenThere wasn't ThenThere, but he'll back up his hero; prolly even vote for his hero arsehole next time too.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#1326 Post by jimtherev » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:04 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:58 pm
If the reason for the 5 mile limit is to reduce fuel consumption so as to reduce the public exposure to those damned infected pump levers which obedient servants of Big Oil are obliged to clutch for minutes at a time, then my electric car ought to be exempt.

The household visits I've got lined up are all way way less than a hundred miles, so the 5 mile limit, unless rationally explained, does not make sense to me.
Nor to anyone else much. TGG has it right. Politicians today don't go by logic or any clear thinking; this is too difficult.
It's easier to make it up as you go along, in the vain hope that someone might say, 'gosh I never thought of it that way'...

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1327 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:03 pm

Capetonian # 1298.
+1

Plus the Tesla that caused an accident on a US Freeway recently, 'cos "something" automatic failed. Perhaps the driver was texting at the same time, feeling secure in being "driven" by technology ? ( read about it a couple of days ago, can't remember where, can't be bothered now )

Not actually totally opposed to electric cars,just have no need to change from my 800 Km. tank equipped Honda at the moment, but when I do, price, and refuelling facilities will pay a large part in my replacement decision - if I'm even allowed to maintain a driving licence, which is one reason that Mrs. ExS and self have recently bought a property 5 mins. walk from the centre of the village, ( town in NZ speak ) instead of 12km deep in the countryside. Only problem is .... we have a joint collection of 160 years worth of crap ( both in our '80's ) to sort and dispose of before we can move !

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1328 Post by ricardian » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:10 am

Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1329 Post by Karearea » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:32 am

Supermarketed again this week, people seem more relaxed about distancing than last week.
So good to see and talk to actual human beings again.
Looked around reproachfully when someone coughed and someone else sneezed. Haven't heard those sounds for ages.

Trolleys being left in the cross-hatched "Keep Clear" zone outside the emergency exit, not sure why they aren't being collected as frequently as required. I managed to encourage my trolley in where it belonged between the railings.

Having accomplished 159.7km in the car since sometime in mid-March, I had the petrol tank filled. $29.50.

Expecting Alert Level to go down again soon: I could go to church but realised I don't wish to be in an enclosed space with a hundred people just yet. I believe I'll just keep a low profile for a few weeks to see where this all goes.
"And to think that it's the same dear old Moon..."

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1330 Post by FD2 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:57 am

+1 Karearea. Just holding back to see how things go after we go to Level 1 and hope that the BML sympathy gatherings haven't set things back. I think most of the folk in our local U3A feel the same about getting together too soon, but most of us are in the danger zone anyway so no bravado on our part!

Tourism people are pressing hard to start letting tourists in again to save their jobs, naturally. Sadly I don't think that's an urgent priority now the country seems to have stopped the virus spreading.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1331 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:02 am

Karearea / FD2

Go along with all of that, no cases in the Bay of Islands ( that I know of ) but keeping up the precautions. Managed to squeeze in $40 of petrol on Sunday, first since start of Level 1, only because I was going to lose some AA points ! Desperate to re-book a cancelled trip to the USA, but ..... ?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1332 Post by OFSO » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:47 am

Only the pubs and restaurants to open in Islington and we are back to a normality that's never really gone away. Pity we are moving house in exactly a week. Did a walk around Rotherhythe and Wapping yesterday. A posse of police on foot by the River, joking and laughing, taking no notice of anyone except the bikini clad lovely bathing in the Thames.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1333 Post by FD2 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:35 am

Bathing in the Thames? Shurely shome mishtake OFSO? (Apologies to Private Eye)

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1334 Post by Woody » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:56 am

When all else fails, read the instructions.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1335 Post by ricardian » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:51 pm

Still locked down in Orkney. No problems on our island as we have two well-stocked shops that take orders via email and deliver FOC. Some folk are anxious to get to mainland supermarkets but travel (ferry or plane) is restricted to "essential trips". The only thing that I am missing is my monthly trip to the podiatrist at the almost brand-new hospital in Kirkwall. My 12 week "at risk" isolation ends on June 14th
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1336 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:08 pm

ricardian wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:51 pm
My 12 week "at risk" isolation ends on June 14th
I realise that the 12 weeks was an arbitrary national recommendation, but is your location (and Kirkwall) sufficiently subdued to make it safe to venture forth?
Prof Neil Ferguson the head of the outbreak modelling group at Imperial College London, tells Lords committee cases will remain steady until September as infections in hospitals and care homes are spilling into the community and sustaining the outbreak.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1337 Post by OFSO » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:21 pm

FD, no. Clean enough for eels, dolphins and other aquatic life. The Thames is only polluted when rain descends and the sewer overflow flaps open. And it hasn't rained for months, and the only boats are the police and garbage tugs. Right now you could probably drink the water. And the young lady was wearing the tiniest black bikini over her tanned skin. Rotherhythe side. Sorry no pics, I didn't dare.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1338 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:34 pm

OFSO wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:21 pm
only polluted when rain descends and the sewer overflow flaps open.
Where I live, the sewer overflows (into the river) have heavy metal flaps that close when the river rises (3 metres above datum) to prevent backflow from the river, with the result that the sewers then surcharge via the covers onto public amenity space.

When heavy local rain results in river flooding it is always initiated from the leaking sewers before the actual river breaks its banks.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1339 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:42 pm

Vietnam seems determined to keep its Covid death stat at nil as a British pilot fights on.
Vietnam, with no covid-19 deaths, sees improvement in most grave case

Vietnam’s most severely sick coronavirus patient is on the mend, state media reported Wednesday, as the government continues to channel all resources toward preventing its first covid-19-related death.

The 43-year-old British pilot for Vietnam Airlines, known as Patient 91, may no longer need a lung transplant, Reuters reported. He has begun smiling, shaking hands and responding to hospital staff, according to the state-run Vietnam News Agency. VNA reported that the man remains on a ventilator, but his reliance on the lifesaving machine has lessened.

The Vietnamese government has spent over $215,000 to treat him, and VNA reported that more than 50 people have offered a lung to help save him. Vietnam’s second most gravely ill patient, known as Patient 19, has also recovered and was discharged from the hospital Wednesday.
From the Washington Post
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1340 Post by Magnus » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:19 pm

The Trumpster probably has the wrong end of the stick, but there are significant clusters of cancer in villages in China surrounding mines extracting rare earths for use in wind turbines.