Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

General Chit Chat
ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

#1341 Post by ricardian » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:04 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:08 pm
ricardian wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:51 pm
My 12 week "at risk" isolation ends on June 14th
I realise that the 12 weeks was an arbitrary national recommendation, but is your location (and Kirkwall) sufficiently subdued to make it safe to venture forth?
Mainland Orkney is still shut down and I have no intention of visiting Kirkwall unless the podiatry department at Balfour hospital is back in business. The two shops on our island run an excellent "order via email and we deliver FOC" service and I can drive to the surgery to collect repeat prescriptions at a given date & time once a month, thus allowing me to give the car an airing.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1342 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:32 pm

I had a Tesco moment tonight. Went into the fill the car up and purchase some of their appalling sushi and two bottles of wine (if I have behaved badly tonight that is the reason) and in the first aisle bumped into Mark and Sarah, lovely couple, not seen by me for months and I couldn't help pinching Sarah's, really good looking, sassy and at least 20 years younger than mine, firm bum. Whereupon seeing me she kissed me full on the lips and said she hoped that, I, as a 58 year old man, wouldn't mind. Feck it I loved it but the horror of the other punters was awful to behold. **** Covid, I was thinking tongues and tonsils, but, also, Mark is a good bloke and, anyway, he would have punched the ***** out of me...

Have I just had a Cumming's moment?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1343 Post by llondel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:40 am

You should be able to check the front of your trousers to determine that.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1344 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:43 am

llondel wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:40 am
You should be able to check the front of your trousers to determine that.
;))) =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1345 Post by boing » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:02 am

I was supposed to be in Texas in early April for an installation job, no go because of Covid. Things are looking a little better for travel now but the next couple of months in Texas will be up around 100F, not the best conditions for moving around on a concrete pad outside. The job location is about 60 miles east of Dallas, there are very few cases of Covid at the job location but Dallas, where I would have to fly to, is a mess.

To answer the question of how Covid is effecting us I would say that it is causing us to redesign our gear so that it is much easier and quicker to install. It could also interfere with the act of rubbing shoulders with the customer and that is important in this business. At one job I received a phone call from a potential customer during an installation. After answering a few questions I suggested he talk to the present customer who was standing next to me, we had another system sold immediately. Covid could make this type of personal contact more difficult..

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1346 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:13 am

boing, I suppose I should know this, but I don't!

What do you guys make?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1347 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:48 am

Widgets.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1348 Post by boing » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:06 am

Outdoor entertainment systems.
GG see PM

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Cooda
CPL
CPL

#1349 Post by Cooda » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:14 am

At 0230Z tomorrow, we cancel all restrictions on mixing and mingling, apart from social distancing.
Sports back into competition, with spectators at the grounds. No limit on time spent at the pub.

The only real restriction is at the Territory/State borders, where you need a permit to cross and arrivals have to quarantine for 14 days.

Our third largest industry, tourism, is stuffed as it relies on interstate and overseas visitations to survive. Our Chief Minister is dithering on when he might allow the borders to re-open. It’s all political, not health related. There’s an election in August, his government had stuffed the economy before Covid but he’s tried to recast himself as the bloke who personally saved us all from the ravages of a virus which never actually took hold here.

Anyway, my staff have all decided that they prefer working from home, so we’re making it the new normal.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1350 Post by Hydromet » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:43 am

Anyway, my staff have all decided that they prefer working from home, so we’re making it the new normal.
Seems to be happening in a lot of places. People and companies realise that it can be better for both, and the dogs want it made compulsory.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#1351 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:44 am

Apparently you couldn't move in the booze shops yesterday (1st day open in 8 weeks). Today was business as usual, masks, register, hand sanitizing etc of course. No stock problem.

48 ltrs of home made hooch for sale. In flight beer on the way home now pre-lunch scotch by the pool. Bottle of bubbly in the fridge for a one week delayed wedding anniversary on Sunday. Bars still closed but restaurants open and can buy booze to drink with a meal. We see lots of plates of chips being sold. Fags still outlawed though.

Regrettably, our favorite, just out of town, safari camp has closed for good. Haven't spoken to him yet but suspect it is all part of a diversification and this virus business tilted the balance.

Got a phone call just as we left town to ask us to go and pay to restock the bar (wot we drunk) just up river. They are going to collect tomorrow. They can have our plastic. Told them not to go on holiday with it.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1352 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:57 am

When you consider the announcements of many restaurant and fast food businesses that will, understandably, not re-open, I wonder whether there will be 'anywhere' to eat out?

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1353 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:36 pm

I am not sure what to make G-CPTN. Some may had difficulties before. I feel there will still be several places to go and once business see people still wanting to eat and drink out they would consider the opening for a piece of the pie.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1354 Post by OFSO » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:38 pm

Friends and parents of our Godchildren in Spain were preparing to reopen their restaurant after lockdown but landlord has raised rents to point where business not viable so they said stuff it. Before they took over two years ago premises were empty as far back as anyone can remember. Now it's empty again. Landlords happier to have a high rent they don't get than a lower rent that they do. Insane...

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1355 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:05 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:36 pm
I am not sure what to make G-CPTN. Some may had difficulties before.
Indeed - in our village it was said that there were 14 places where you could get a cup of coffee, and at least two long-established businesses were up for sale due to the competition from the new businesses that attracted the passing trade of visitors and were prepared to operate at subsistence level. Another 'tea-room' had changed hands three times over recent years (and had most recently reopened with new owners after a couple of months closure exactly a week before lock-down) - it will be interesting to see whether they carry on. The cook from that business had established a new outlet from scratch a few months ago.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1356 Post by ian16th » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:59 pm

boing wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:06 am
Outdoor entertainment systems.
GG see PM

Outdoor entertainment??

Its illegal in some places!
Cynicism improves with age

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1357 Post by OFSO » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:22 pm

Reminds me of my prior life in Germany. Anything not explicitly permitted in writing by Law is known to be forbidden.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1358 Post by Magnus » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:55 pm

Turning up at A&E with a sunburned bum is a dead giveaway.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1359 Post by barkingmad » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:12 am

Oop northeast of UK, even with Mr Foehn protecting me, with the recent change in the weather I’m going to havta reschedule the planned orgy... :O3

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1360 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:52 pm

The market is getting excited again... if you own a Spitfire at least... :)

The market is on the uptick....JPG
The market is on the uptick....JPG (33.49 KiB) Viewed 187 times
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."