Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

General Chit Chat
Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

#1601 Post by Karearea » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:55 pm

Heard a talk-back radio caller this morning saying, more or less, we need to open our borders or we'll become a third-world country.

I understand "third-worldness" to be more about culture - lack of enterprise, ability to attain ambitions, honesty, openness to ideas, to science - than about the shell-game of mere wealth.
"And to think that it's the same dear old Moon..."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1602 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:58 pm

Now ffrance and de Nederlans are on the exclusion list.

I shoulda bought shares in Zodiac Nautic. ~X(

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1603 Post by FD2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:51 am

Does Brownlee really have second thoughts?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politi ... y-theories

But initial mission accomplished Gerry... :-bd

Now all waiting to see if further lockdown will happen, as another 12 confirmed cases today - all in the North Island. Take care up there chaps.

Really, it could be anywhere in the country by now though.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1604 Post by Karearea » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:32 am

Karearea wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:42 am

Meanwhile I abstain from my usual July holiday with extended family in the North Island, avoiding airports and crowded transport, and have recently bought half a dozen face-masks to Be Prepared.
My post above from July 25th.

Extra-glad I have had a cautious approach to this.
"And to think that it's the same dear old Moon..."

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1605 Post by FD2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:46 am

Well anticipated Karearea. All sold out in all pharmacies in town by 1030!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1606 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:25 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:58 pm

Not so much a Citroen deux chevaux as a Zodiac deux poisson
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1607 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:51 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:25 pm
Undried Plum wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:58 pm

Not so much a Citroen deux chevaux as a Zodiac deux poisson
Sans des passeports, naturellesment.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#1608 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:13 pm

Gaborone has lifted lock down. Still no booze though. S.A. don't envisage International flights util at least the end of January. 8 weeks before we had hoped to get to Amorgos next year. I do not think it is going to happen. With the exception of this year and one other year haven't missed being there at least for some time since 1995. Lived there continuously 12 months a year for 15 years. We miss the island and the people. Apparently they are missing us, their bar profits are down.

Anyway, middle of the bush the other end of the country to any case. Only go into town twice a month. Pretty safe. Nice estate to wander around, lagoon to look at and pool to sit next to. Could be worse.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#1609 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:55 pm

Just run out of beer :(( Still some at the safari camp but decided to leave it there for when we visit. Total stock here now a tad of red wine. 5 litres of white and 40 litres of hooch in various stages of fermentation. Think the camp has at least one bottle of brandy and one of gin. May send for one.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1610 Post by OFSO » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:51 pm

I see the Namibians are steaming elephant dung and inhaling it as a cure for CV symptoms. (BBC, today.) Surely Botswana can't be far behind, as it were, with hippo dung ?

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1611 Post by FD2 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:50 pm

Well I don't think anyone would want to stand near you after that treatment, so maybe effective! ;)))

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1612 Post by EA01 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:01 am

Well, it affected me enough I made something similar to this -

Mine is vertical though, and house bricks help compress it, I've now a few lawn clipping 'hay bales' around the yard, even built a simple 'Hay Barn', out of old fence palings...about the size of a grandfather clock....but what the f**k am I gunna do with them now??

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1613 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:23 am

My favourite watering hole in Simon's Town is non est... another Covid victim, including poor Gerald... :((
The Two and Sixpence Tavern, Simon's Town's watering hole for the past 21 years closed on the 27 March due to Covid19 and the SA Lockdown.
Stressed, but with a glimpse of light we looked forward to welcoming our customers back after lockdown. (Pub's today are still not able to open).
Sadly this didn't happen and after beyond stressful legalities due to us not being able to pay our rent since April we were given 48 hours to vacate the premises.
Today, heartbroken we share the closure of the Two & Sixpence Tavern with you all.

Thank you to our amazing team including the talented musicians for all your years of support, loyalty, loads of fun and care - so sorry we couldn't continue.
Farewell to the Two & Six... We leave these walls with so many memories of fun, laughter, debaucherous times, many celebrations and as a whole, great entertainment from all to everyone.

Friendships made from near and far, locals, swallows, tourists and being the 'duty ashore pub' for hundreds of visiting sailors.

Thank you to each and everyone of you who shared our special place with us.

The building will no doubt be sold soon and we wish to see this little Sir Herbert Baker gem receive the much needed maintenance it so deserves.

God Bless you all and Stay Safe from Sean, Karen, Dylan, Jono, Alan, Richelle, Malisa, Blessing, Bongani and the late Gerald.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1614 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:43 pm

TGG, that of course is nonsense. No rental income from a tenant who is occupying the premises is better than no income from an empty property.

Well before this BHS closed down. Last one out did not switch off the lights.

At least with a sitting tenant there remains potential for future income without trying to get a new tenant.

Again pre-Covid and a dead duck now, at Sandbanks was a bric a brac gift store. Presumably on lease renewal it went to a new pizza restaurant. It would bebetween Ric Steins and a Caff. Probably a good fit for locals and visitors.

The pizza parlour needed the electrical system upgraded. The owner would not do it as he didn't need it. The pizza owner wouldn't do it as it would be beneficial for the owner when their lease expired.

The result, no pizza parlour, no income, and an eyesore.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1615 Post by OFSO » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:07 pm

Yet that is exactly what locals prefer here. We see it time after time. Landlord raises rent, place stays empty for years. Our friends who ran the Café Diem in Santa Margarita came back to reopen in May after the Spanish lockdown to find rent skyrocketed. Uneconomical to run so they closed. Premises now shut with sign For Rent up. As it was for two years before our friends moved in. Bread shop AND mini supermarket at lower end of our Urbanisation likewise, been empty for four years now.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1616 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:59 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:43 pm
TGG, that of course is nonsense. No rental income from a tenant who is occupying the premises is better than no income from an empty property.

The result, no pizza parlour, no income, and an eyesore.
Yes, I agree, which makes me think that we are talking about a rapacious landlord who was looking to break the lease and potentially rezone or sell the property which is a beautifully designed Sir Herbert Baker building of considerable historical importance.

800px-De_Beers_Building_88_St_Georges_Street_Simonstown_Cape_Town_-_side_view_1.jpg
This sandstone building, which dates from 1902, was designed by Sir Herbert Baker for Cecil Rhodes's De Beers Cold Storage Syndicate as meat outlet in Simon's Town. The building was used from 1903 to 1921 by the company's successor. Imperial Cold Storage Type of site: Commercial Previous use: Bank; Restaurant. Current use: Vacant.
Sir Herbert Baker

Either that or the latter you note, either way a real shame for beleaguered Simon's Town. I known the proprietor of the local Pizza restaurant come music venue, I hesitate to call her a friend though, after a row over a blues band in her place some years ago, who has been pushed to the brink and who has behaved very honorably in keeping all her staff on and paying them during this difficult period (kudos to Claire even if we can't see eye to eye on all things).
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."