Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

General Chit Chat
Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

#1581 Post by Karearea » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:38 am

Just returned from a trip to purchase Essential Supplies.

Most poignant: a lady who'd wanted to buy face-masks to send to her daughter in Auckland where they're in short supply, this at 10am in a store where they'd started selling out from 7am.

Supermarket car-park 95% full; a queue of 5-10 customers, one admitted as another exited.
Back to crosses and arrows on the floor, "wait here", "walk this way"; pack own purchases.
Observed half a dozen people wearing face-masks: not many overall, but it's starting to look less conspicuous.
Notices on some shelves to "Dear valued customer" limiting purchases to 2 only of TP, boxes of tissues, butter, flour, sanitising sprays; packs of frozen veges 4 only pp.

Many callers to talkback radio sounded young and peevish, they were "over it", freedoms being eroded etc.
In real life people seemed much more cheerful, accepting and positive than in March when the first lockdown loomed: we have a job to do, let's do it for the good of all.
There's rosemary, that's for remembrance. ...

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1582 Post by Hydromet » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:22 am

Over here on the western island, we're envious of the way it's been handled on the "mainland", and of the results achieved.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1583 Post by FD2 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:24 am

Same down here in the southern island Karearea. Increase in numbers at the supermarket but calm with social distancing being observed with 100 metre queue outside. Nothing like the oafs who began stripping the shelves in Auckland before Ardern had even finished the broadcast last night.

Her strong point is, I think, her ability to put the situation over with great clarity and she often has to correct reporters' questions when they are asking or implying things which are clearly based on false rumours. With more and more people returning from abroad it is quite a juggling act for the Government. Thank goodness the Health Department's new minister seems to be up to the job unlike his predecessor.

I think the D.G., Dr Bloomfield, has dodged a bullet over the Health Department's distribution of the winter flu jabs. He's now back on surer ground with these new cases. It seems from the limited information we have that the family in question may have been in contact with a lot of workers in a finance company whilst symptomatic, which is worryingly like the situation in South Korea a couple of months ago which led to a rapid blossoming of cases.

I really hope that Victoria and New South Wales can get on top of the situation soon Hydromet.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1584 Post by Karearea » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:57 am

Hydromet, I have extended-family members in Melbourne and really feel for them and those affected by the present situation.
There's rosemary, that's for remembrance. ...

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1585 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:18 am

FD2 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:24 am
Same down here in the southern island Karearea. Increase in numbers at the supermarket but calm with social distancing being observed with 100 metre queue outside. Nothing like the oafs who began stripping the shelves in Auckland before Ardern had even finished the broadcast last night.

Her strong point is, I think, her ability to put the situation over with great clarity and she often has to correct reporters' questions when they are asking or implying things which are clearly based on false rumours. With more and more people returning from abroad it is quite a juggling act for the Government. Thank goodness the Health Department's new minister seems to be up to the job unlike his predecessor.

I think the D.G., Dr Bloomfield, has dodged a bullet over the Health Department's distribution of the winter flu jabs. He's now back on surer ground with these new cases. It seems from the limited information we have that the family in question may have been in contact with a lot of workers in a finance company whilst symptomatic, which is worryingly like the situation in South Korea a couple of months ago which led to a rapid blossoming of cases.

I really hope that Victoria and New South Wales can get on top of the situation soon Hydromet.
The NZ government's handling of this crisis has been exemplary in contrast to the shambolic, devious and ineffectual chaos that has characterised what has gone in here in England!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1586 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:31 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:18 am
The NZ government's handling of this crisis has been exemplary in contrast to the shambolic, devious and ineffectual chaos that has characterised what has gone in here in England!

The NZ government's handling of this crisis has been exemplary in contrast to the shambolic, devious and ineffectual chaos that has characterised what has gone in here in Scotland!

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1587 Post by Hydromet » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:34 am

Karearea wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:57 am
Hydromet, I have extended-family members in Melbourne and really feel for them and those affected by the present situation.
Thanks. Daughter's in-laws are there. Fortunately, they are well & easily able to stay away from people but still exercise, but they are finding the lack of social contact frustrating. Like us, both their children live elsewhere.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1588 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:10 am

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1589 Post by FD2 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:17 am

I wonder what the residents of Brisbane think about this man's reasoned argument in defence of his daughter's actions a couple of weeks ago:

The father of one of the Queensland women accused of lying on their border declaration passes to avoid quarantine has rushed to the defence of his daughter.

Haja Timbo, 21, was released this afternoon after spending 14 days in quarantine at the Rydges Hotel on Brisbane's South Bank.

Timbo tested negative to coronavirus however her travel companions Olivia Muranga, 19, and Diana Lasu, 21, were both hospitalised with the virus.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/a ... d=12356233

As if the country wasn't in enough difficulty already with the damned virus. Note the clever introduction of the 'racism' card!

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1590 Post by John Hill » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:13 am

FD2 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:17 am
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/a ... d=12356233

As if the country wasn't in enough difficulty already with the damned virus. Note the clever introduction of the 'racism' card!
What about the racism here?
EA01 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:50 am

FFS!!, again Islanders!, and look at their ridiculous lips!!, like freaking flotation devices!...and one of them is refusing to tell authorities where she has been!!

A flight from MEL (Rampant with C-19), through Sydney, to try to avoid the border control......there are now 400+ people waiting to be screened in South Brisbane now due to their down right selfishness!!

Deport Them!
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1591 Post by FD2 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:27 am

Yes it was an over the top reaction from EA01, whose life may have been put at risk along with a lot of other people in Queensland by the stupid, selfish and possibly criminal actions of these three young women.

They can justifiably be criticised for their actions, whether they are black, white, yellow or anything else and their father played the race card while trying to defend their stupid conduct. Because they are black doesn't make them immune from being criticised John, but we'll see what the judge has to say about the matter when they appear in court.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1592 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:46 am

In Mrs PN's opinion the women were all professionals. How else could they afford A$4,000 fines?

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1593 Post by Hydromet » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:13 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:46 am
In Mrs PN's opinion the women were all professionals. How else could they afford A$4,000 fines?
That was my first impression. There were reports that they were attending parties in one city, suspected of stealing luxury goods such as handbags and flogging them in another, as part of an organised group. Not sure how true.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1594 Post by Pinky the pilot » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:25 am

There were reports that they were attending parties in one city, suspected of stealing luxury goods such as handbags and flogging them in another, as part of an organised group
Read the same reports in The Australian Newspaper back when the incident was first mentioned. Seems that the Police are investigating the Shoplifting allegations.

All will be revealed in due course, one suspects. :-?
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

This is not just food, this is spiky spherical additive food

#1595 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:14 pm

Almost 300 people have tested positive for Covid-19 following an outbreak at a factory which makes M&S sandwiches.

Greencore in Northampton started "proactively testing" workers due to rising numbers of cases in the town.

Lucy Wightman, Director of Public Health at Northamptonshire County Council, said 299 workers had tested positive.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1596 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:25 pm

Between retirement and corona I had developed a case of "Manana Syndrome". Unfortunately, it has morphed into a case of "Next Week Syndrome". :ymsick: :-o
Worse yet, I can usually differentiate between today and tomorrow, but knowing what week it is, is becoming more difficult.
:(( :))
PP

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1597 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:32 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:25 pm
Between retirement and corona I had developed a case of "Manana Syndrome". Unfortunately, it has morphed into a case of "Next Week Syndrome". :ymsick: :-o
Worse yet, I can usually differentiate between today and tomorrow, but knowing what week it is, is becoming more difficult.
:(( :))
PP
+1

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1598 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:02 pm

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#1599 Post by jimtherev » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:14 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:02 pm
I dare not send this to step-daughter. Step-granddaughter received her results today. Nuff sed.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1600 Post by FD2 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:10 pm

New Zealand opposition try to employ the Trump version of how to do politics using Covid-19.

Here we have the awful spectacle of the leader and deputy leader of the National Party trying to emulate the Chump using Covid-19. The idea roughly is that you state that something 'someone' said (always anonymously) about an opposing politician such as "I heard that Donald Trump has a really tiny penis because he has tiny hands" or "I heard Donald Trump tells lies all the time", but "I wouldn't know about if that's true or not". Some people would support the politician who says that sort of thing, just as they might support him or her if he or she said the moon was made of cheese, so you've gained some more voters. It worked against the awful Hillary but it's not something I would endorse as a way to elect a leader of the free world.

The spectacle here in NZ was a press conference held by the leader of the opposition, 'Crusher' Collins and her porcine deputy Gerry Brownlee who made such a hash of the Christchurch rebuild. They implied that because Ardern had visited a mask factory and there had been warning ads on TV about a possible resurgence of the virus, there must be some sort of conspiracy, but it was not up to them to provide proof, just up to people to "ask questions. I'm just outlining facts". They were deservedly pilloried for this farce but sadly some of it will have stuck in the minds of the sort of conspiracy fans who might also believe the Earth is flat.

The election will go the way that the electorate chooses and that's just as it should be. It would be a great shame if we and other countries follow and go 'down the exact same path already well trodden in the US'. We know politicians are often economical with the truth but let's keep politics above this sort of thing. Thank goodness that Biden's running mate is someone who seems to have the strength and brains to give Trump some well deserved truthful hard knocks and not by using sneaky innuendo either.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politi ... -real-time