Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

General Chit Chat
TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

#61 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:08 am

tango15 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:00 am
So, let's have a sense of proportion on the Covid-19 outbreak, or whatever alias is being used for it.

Germany - pop. 83 million - Covid cases 4585 - deaths 9
Italy - pop. 60 million - Covid cases 21157 - deaths 1440
Spain - pop 46 million - Covid cases 6391 - deaths 196
France - pop 65 million - Covid cases 4500 - deaths 91
UK - pop 67 million - Covid cases 1140 - deaths 21

...and since we're always being told how much better the Scandinavians run their lives, let's compare their figures, too:

Norway - pop 5 million - Covid cases 1108 - deaths 3
Sweden - pop 10 million - Covid cases 948 - deaths 2
Denmark - pop 6 million - Covid cases 836 - deaths 1
Finland - pop 5 million - Covid cases 225 - deaths 0

All these countries heave ageing populations.

I am aware that the reporting systems may be different, but population is population and deaths are recorded the same way in all civilised countries.
The Scandi's have had it right for years.... They are able to treat their people. Civilization was born in harshness and hence the kindness of the cold.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#62 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:29 am

Regarding probe's post on Jet2. Those flights were 40 miles from destination in Spain and return home. It seems they were tankering fuel. Is that normal?

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#63 Post by probes » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:50 am

Dunno. I've got the impression that emergency situations are needed to keep the vital functions going - it's better to stop what can be stopped, hoping those who produce food, for example, can go on doing that?

As the situation in many countries (by now) shows it won't just stop on its own.

Therefore, Johnson's "Mass isolating of the elderly - even if they are not ill - will begin within the next 20 days as Boris Johnson ratchets up efforts to tackle the UK's ballooning outbreak. " looks really stupid. Both the 'elderly' and 'within the next 20 days'.

P.S. the last infected ones around here have told the groups where they probably got it had no-one showing any symptoms. It must be true it's contagious before the symptoms appear, or at least the less severe branch of the virus is.

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#64 Post by larsssnowpharter » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:11 am

We're all in Brighton at the moment for a family get together. Lovely to see my two sisters especially as it is the first time we have been together for more than 10 years. Great meal at my favourite Italians last night.
Just about to have lunch with my father and stepmother. He's 97, ex WW2 pilot and flew military until 1970.
There has been an air of unreality, finality and a mix of joy and sadness about the gathering. I think we all feel it may be for the last time.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#65 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:20 am

My medication induces vivid dreaming, and last night I experienced depression due to the prospect of 'enforced' quarantine - even though I have already decided to avoid contact with people.
I have no desire to be 'resupplied' by strangers (or even neighbours), so there is a conundrum to be solved - I will have to effect early morning or late evening forays to the village shop.

I do have a store of essentials, but not enough for four months!

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by AtomKraft » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:25 pm

I'm a contract pilot. The company I work for is putting me on unpaid leave from 21st of this month.

That's how it's affected me!

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#67 Post by ricardian » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:43 pm

Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#68 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:30 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:20 am
My medication induces vivid dreaming, and last night I experienced depression due to the prospect of 'enforced' quarantine - even though I have already decided to avoid contact with people.
I have no desire to be 'resupplied' by strangers (or even neighbours), so there is a conundrum to be solved - I will have to effect early morning or late evening forays to the village shop.

I do have a store of essentials, but not enough for four months!
I hit the local store at 7 when it opened to beat the rush, I was the 5th. Previous 3 days car park and shop packed. Just increases the risk. Advantage of being first in, is first dibs on hot croissants before others touch them.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by Boac » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:05 pm

tgg wrote:they were silly enough to hire an irritating TOP mod as a Captain for a while.
- until (allegedly) he was fired for suspected drug abuse.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#70 Post by barkingmad » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:48 pm

UK “Health Secretary of State” appearing on the Andrew Marr show this evening appeared to have a gobstopper lodged in his portside visible orifice.

Is this a subtle hint to the great unwashed as to the veracity of his pronouncements?

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#71 Post by Karearea » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:13 am

Church on Sunday: no chalice, no holy water in the fonts, and people were asked to refrain from shaking hands. I did not go forward for Communion and probably won't attend Mass next Sunday.

Realised I had left a bottle of hand-sanitiser in sight on the front seat of the car and went back to conceal it from passers-by. That is the oddest thing I've done, thus far.

Made an optometrist appointment and was asked if I was suffering from any illness. Hand-sanitiser on a table in their reception area, visitors for the use of, only I didn't see it till I was leaving, whateffer.
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#72 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:37 am

Was supposed to take my daughter to a volleyball tournament in 2 weeks in Las Vegas.
Vegas is in the process of shutting down.
Wynn and MGM just announced closing for at least 2 weeks. Others will follow in short order.

Pp

Arizona just closed all schools as well.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#73 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:19 am

For the Vampire Squid, this is a Business Opportunity at an appropriate time.

In the UK, they've dunked the double whammy of having the unique, and thus far unprecedented, possession of both the governorship of the BoE and of the Chancellorship of the Exchequor.

Perfect timing for a SlamDunk duality imposition of Zirp and Unlimited MoneyPrinting (aka bowelsqueeze, aka QE), on a co-ordinated worldwide scale, shortly (no pun intended) before opening of the London/Eu markets this weekend.

No surprise that just a few hours before opening of the London Markets this morning, the outgoing Squid guy announces unlimited Zirp and unlimited unnamed bowel squeese of money.

No surprise that it's co-ordinated worldwide by the Squid.

No surprise, anywhere. Not even here, I hope.

No surprise, either, that it's just before the VS guy at BoE officially steps down at eight o'clock this morning.

No surprise, either, that the other VS guy, the one in Numbah Eleven, will similarly push for unlimited puffmoney for his alulumnus and alumni.

That's the way it works.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#74 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:25 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:19 am
For the Vampire Squid, this is a Business Opportunity at an appropriate time.

In the UK, they've dunked the double whammy of having the unique, and thus far unprecedented, possession of both the governorship of the BoE and of the Chancellorship of the Exchequor.

Perfect timing for a SlamDunk duality imposition of Zirp and Unlimited MoneyPrinting (aka bowelsqueeze, aka QE), on a co-ordinated worldwide scale, shortly (no pun intended) before opening of the London/Eu markets this weekend.

No surprise that just a few hours before opening of the London Markets this morning, the outgoing Squid guy announces unlimited Zirp and unlimited unnamed bowel squeese of money.

No surprise that it's co-ordinated worldwide by the Squid.

No surprise, anywhere. Not even here, I hope.

No surprise, either, that it's just before the VS guy at BoE officially steps down at eight o'clock this morning.

No surprise, either, that the other VS guy, the one in Numbah Eleven, will similarly push for unlimited puffmoney for his alulumnus and alumni.

That's the way it works.
Just observe it: and live in with the way that it works.

Alternatively: live within a peaceful way that works for you.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#75 Post by Hydromet » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:37 am

Sorry Undried Plum, totally indecipherable here. The nicknames and initials are quite foreign to the antipodes.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#76 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:42 am

The "Squid" said it better here than I spoke.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#77 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:53 am

The Bank of England was founded by a Scotsman: the guy who invented National Debt (same guy who bankrupted Scotland and triggered the Parliamentrary Union of the UK, but that's a whole 'nother story).

Zero Interest Rate Policy was not his idea.

Quite the opposite, actually.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#78 Post by Hydromet » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:18 am

Thanks UP.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#79 Post by probes » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:27 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:25 pm
I'm a contract pilot. The company I work for is putting me on unpaid leave from 21st of this month.
That's how it's affected me!
That's the general procedure? What are the pilots supposed to do? Just 'show initiative' somewhere?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#80 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:40 am

Borrow toilet paper?

My usual bulk supplier only had Trump and Johnson rolls, Amazon only has Hillary ones. Guess we shall have to revert to earlier practises; more hygienic too.