Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

General Chit Chat
larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt
Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

#1 Post by larsssnowpharter » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:20 am

Not intending this topic to interfere with the ribaldry on the Coronabollox thread or the discussion of personal health issues which, rightly, has its own thread. I'm thinking more of the economic and lifestyle issues.

Airlines are going bust, they are talking about furlough for many crew in the USA and airports are closing. Many people are likely to lose there livelihoods. Knock on effects are likely to be huge as mortgages and rent go unpaid.

In our case we have already been seriously affected.

1. We have a couple of properties in the
Philippines on Airbnb. All bookings have now been cancelled as the country goes into lockdown.

2. Senora Larss owns as small, posh coffee, cake and tea shop and employs 2 full time and 3 part time staff. Two other people work from home to supply really delicious cakes. To put it bluntly, business has tanked with takings down over 50%. We will have to let staff go, stop purchasing cakes. These people have rent/mortgages to pay. One is a single mum and this job is her family's sole income. Tough calls.

We are relatively lucky, though. Zero debt and Service and state pensions but, in the UK a huge proportion of the population live from month to month.

I know some here have had travel plans disrupted, I know we have. But how is this pestilence affecting you economically and how do you hope to minimise the impact?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

#2 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:36 am

At present, although there are no confirmed cases within my immediate area, I am aware of possible 'contacts' who have, or will be returning from overseas to meetings that I normally attend - so I have decided that I will not (attend).

I probably have sufficient tinned food for a couple of weeks, meanwhile I am shopping (daily) locally in the village where there are fewer people than my usual town supermarkets. i might have to pay extra for milk (I currently buy in town - a free busride away).

I have enough to entertain me (radio and internet) so cabin fever shouldn't be a problem.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:43 am

We live isolated anyway for all but a few hours a week. No cases in Bots yet. MASSIVE and I mean MASSIVE loss on the markets for us.

Canceled our annual Greece trip. Airlines are being difficult about paying up.

So yes, we are in a low risk area and still alive. Pensions roll in just enormous loss of liquid assets.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Hydromet » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:45 am

SWMBO & I have had a number of medical appointments, plus multiple visits to emergency for SWMBO. Hardly anyone visiting doctors or emergency, very quick attention in emergency.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by ricardian » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:52 am

Small island with 350 inhabitants, two shops, resident GP and community nurses. No infections as yet. Folk behaving as usual. I am "at risk" as I am over 70, have COPD & type 2 diabetes. I rarely receive visitors and I can easily survive for several weeks without visiting the shops
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by probes » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:53 am

Thanks, larss, I was just thinking about a 'Corona-personal' thread :).
Meaning, we've got to personal impacts.

I work 50% from home anyway, so having gone 100% is no problem. Haven't got any kids or teenage boys growing like rhubarb (food intake like a vacuum cleaner) - no need for extra supplies.
Being one of the countries with schools in the 'distant learning mode' and no public events, it's hard to understand Mr. Johnson - if it's not official, there are no grounds to stay home?
Virologists say the only 100% effective measure is no contact between people at all. Which is not realistic, so reducing movement as much as possible seems reasonable.
Also, if it's an official emergency, there's some state financial help to businesses.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by 1DC » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:55 am

On holiday in Oz at the moment, will probably come home next week instead of the end of the month as scheduled.We are happy in Oz but if we catch the virus the insurance company will play the act of god card and leave us to our own devices so we will come home and see if we catch it there. Mrs 1DC says we have plenty of bog rolls at home so we will be ok..

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:05 pm

Worried, slightly, about our cruise between Spain and Italy next month. We had already decided to cancel and if necessary write off the cost. We had a refund of some elements but today the cruise company cancelled and offered a refund. The final element is the refund of BA airfares. The TA said we had to contact our insurance company. I corrected her, her problem not ours unless they fold too.

Other factor is Mrs PN has been limited to buying vitamins and disinfectants on line and not shopping for clothes.

ribrash

#9 Post by ribrash » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:30 pm

Some blood tests due next week.Will see where we're up to and then decide the day before.Given my age and some flagged up conditions I'm not sure I want to attend a doctors surgery usually full of sick people.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:38 pm

I've done a fair bit of prepping - food and consumables, and have every intention of going into lock-down mode if necessary. Reckon I could go six to eight weeks without needing to go out shopping. As long as I can take dog for a walk without any contact I should be okay. Being Aspie makes it easy.

Dug out my bread maker and did a trial run today just to make sure I have everything necessary. Had to buy extra dried yeast. Bread was good. Bought a a dozen or so tins of mixed beans. Add a sachet of tomato paste, teaspoon of sugar and some Lea and Perrins, heated beats Heinz any day on toast, and healthier.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:14 pm

Serious question:

As you are likely to get it, do you have a reason to avoid activities you currently enjoy, is 3 no misery, when you might get it now and if you survive (in UK) have a glorious summer ahead of you?

I know the UK reason for delay, but personally?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Boac » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:27 pm

"is 3 no misery" ?? No? Yes?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Woody » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:29 pm

Fortunately I’ve just released some cash and paid in advance lots of bills, council tax etc,no mortgage outstanding and receiving regular rental income from my parents house and BA still paying wages, so there’s people in a lot worse situations than us, if schools close down for extra time at Easter MrsWoody and Junior might go to ZA especially with the exchange rate at the moment.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by ian16th » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:04 pm

ribrash wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:30 pm
I'm not sure I want to attend a doctors surgery usually full of sick people.
I also am due blood tests. Don’t want to associate with others.
Cynicism improves with age

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by ian16th » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:07 pm

Woody wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:29 pm
MrsWoody and Junior might go to ZA especially with the exchange rate at the moment.
With the current volatility, you may have trouble picking your 'moment'!
Cynicism improves with age

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Woody » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:10 pm

ian16th wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:07 pm
Woody wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:29 pm
MrsWoody and Junior might go to ZA especially with the exchange rate at the moment.
With the current volatility, you may have trouble picking your 'moment'!
Still over R20 to the £ so I’ve been purchasing some in advance :-bd
When all else fails, read the instructions.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by tango15 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:48 pm

I went shopping in Market Harborough yesterday. It was busier than normal for a Thursday and there was a lot of shopping being done. Apart from a few older people (who should know better), pushing trollies full of toilet tissue, I didn't see any evidence of panic buying, though one of the staff in Waitrose told me that John Lewis had sent additional staff from Leicester to help fill the shelves. Although I live on the edge of a small town, I visit larger towns regularly but I've seen no evidence as yet of anyone wearing a mask anywhere. Hopefully I can steer well clear of the local over-subscribed surgery for the time being.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by llondel » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:10 pm

We've been instructed to work from home where possible, given that this area is (and some of our other office locations are) located in a hotspot. My son is effectively off work because the place he works is closing for at least a couple of weeks. Other than that, it's more down to the fact that with the cancellation of gatherings over 250 people, I'm expecting the dog show next week to be cancelled and I'm also probably not going to sign up to some others in the expectation that they'll also not take place. This week's event is small so I'll be at that one.

Debating whether to risk a Costco run, given that we go every couple of months anyway and we're overdue a regular trip. Probably have a couple of month's supply of toilet paper at this point.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:04 pm

I have a GP appointment Monday week. "Was 8.50 on Monday suitable? "
You bet. Whole weekend for the buggers to die and first thing before too many restock.

Capetonian

#20 Post by Capetonian » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:23 pm

Switzerland closing borders. Apparently Spain will do so imminently.