To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: We need more

#303 Post by Karearea » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:36 am

5:23 video entitled 7 Spectacular Moths in Slow Motion!

And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#304 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:27 pm

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#305 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:09 am

We've all seen it before, but .....

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Old men, aviating

#306 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:19 am

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#307 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:22 am

In 1977 William Woolard fronted the first documentary to describe the previously secret activities and achievements of Bletchley Park.

Unknown to me at the time, my interest in the subject was to transform my finances about 22 year later.

This programme was necessarily very incomplete as so much was still classified, but nevertheless it was a really good explainer.

In 1999 a more up to date and more detailed documentary series was made by Darlow-Smithson which went into vastly more detail. It interviewed some surprising people whom I hadn't known had been involved, such as Asa Briggs, Sarah Baring and Woy Jenkins.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#308 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:31 am

We all know of the great Alan Turing, but I think that Gordon Welchman was just as great and is having almost as much effect on the daily lives of ordinary people nowadays, perhaps more.

Traffic Analysis, even without reading the actual text, was incredibly insightful and informative. It's now called Network Analysis and is the backbone of all modern telecomms surveillance. It's the fundamental basis of the all-pervasive surveillance State which monitors our every activity nowadays.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#309 Post by Boac » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:55 am

I reckon BP would have been an interesting place to be - on the 'social' side too! :YMPARTY:

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#310 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:01 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:22 am

Unknown to me at the time, my interest in the subject was to transform my finances about 22 year later.

Pray tell. ^:)^

PP

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#311 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:25 pm

Long story, cut short:

In the snowy winter of '09/'10 I tried to 'crack' the Enigma code using a real German message and a good spec desktop 'puter. I searched for clues and cribs about crypto on the web and accidentally found the Nakamoto paper and thought it was brilliant. I subsequently mined 75 BTC and pretty much forgot about them.

When they became worth more than the nominal 30c that they had been when I mined them, I watched in astonishment as they went from $3 to $30 to $300. What interested me most was not the absolute value but the wild fluctuations. I knew enough about market economics to realise that there was profit to made by trading back and forth and pocketing the profits.

It was a very simple strategy: Buy low; Sell high; Sell high; Buy low; rinse; repeat. I cared not a jot whether the price was high or low. I sold when high and bought when low, often many times in opposite directions in a single day. All I needed was volatility and there was volatility aplenty during the mad panics when a fork of the blockchain was in the offing.

My trading strategy used the principle theory of trend line mean reversion. If the price is above the mean trend line you can be sure that it will fall below that line. If the price is below the mean trend line you can be sure that it will fall below that line. Buy or sell accordingly and it's just a matter of time until you can take a profit.

When the volatility was truly nuts, I sat at the computer for 10 to 15 hours a day, trading back and forth, back and forth. It was truly easy money, in huge amounts. I ended up with hundreds of BTC as stock in trade and many hundreds of thousands of Dollars also as stock in trade and simply pocketed a third of the profit of each trade. Another third went into the tax reserve as in those days HMRC were dithering over whether to recognise the proceeds as income or capital gains or gambling profits, each of which have massively different rates of tax. The third third was ploughed back into the pot as stock in trade, whether the profit was in fiat or in BTC

My only regret was I hadn't discovered before in my life just how easy it is to get filthy rich by such easy 'work'. In a single month I was able to make more, much much more, money than I had been paid for decades of bloody hard work in **** places like Chittagong, Peterhead, Ras Gharib, Nembe, Buguma, Ekulama, Ganaveh and all the rest.

All of that started as a result of that William Woollard documentary in 1977, to which I have posted a link in a post above.

Funny old world, innit.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#312 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:08 pm

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#313 Post by Hydromet » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:08 am

Had lunch with a client yesterday after delivering her latest commission, during which she mentioned that her father had worked with Turing at Bletchley Park. After immigrating to Australia he became a professor of mathematics, but she said he could have had a much more stellar career had he been able to tell what he had done at BP.

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#314 Post by bob2s » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:58 pm

Came across this on yutoob,a few hint ,tips and advice from Bell.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#315 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:24 am

bob2s wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:58 pm
Came across this on yutoob,a few hint ,tips and advice from Bell.
Interesting and enjoyable video to watch. "Stay below the treeline and don't get your arse shot off", seems to be the mantra.

Keep low, turn hard, stop fast, change direction, fly smoothly but erratically.

That little Bell Army H-13K Sioux Scout clearly had little or no armourment at all. It could have been brought down by a well placed shot into the cabin from a.22 rifle. Even the Alouette's III's in the SADF had enough power with their Turbomeca Artouste IIIB turboshafts, to support an armoured tray under the pilots/troops posteriors.

A good friend flew the Alouette III, and then the Puma, in combat in South West Africa and Angola. He had 3 forced landings and two crashes (the latter two occasioned by enemy fire) and was never scratched but, after he was demobbed, he decided he had stretched his 9 lives far enough and went into IT and now deals in real estate in Australia. He never flew helicopters again (good luck to you Martin).

I guess this pilot watched your video bob2s. The low G pop up seen here would be likely to result in a mast bump in a helicopter with a teetering hinge, I guess. The MBB Bo 105 is an extraordinary machine to behold (and to fly I am sure).

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#316 Post by bob2s » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:11 am

TGG, had the pleasure of being taken for a flight by the MBB demo pilot when they came to Australia to try to sell the 105,he was also showing its maneuverability similar to that video,gave the mast moment indicator a good work out in some of the auto's.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#317 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:49 am

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#318 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:05 pm

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#319 Post by John Hill » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:25 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:31 am

We all know of the great Alan Turing, but I think that Gordon Welchman was just as great and is having almost as much effect on the daily lives of ordinary people nowadays, perhaps more.

Ah yes but do not forget Agner Krarup Erlang. :-bd
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#320 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:08 pm

You've got this, every word of which should be listened to by everyone who has more than the attention of a newt:

All of the above should be listened to, carefully, by everyone, before listening to this:

Here's the Brisstle equivalent of an Essex girl:

View, and inwardly digest.