Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: We need more

#501 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:17 pm

I got my multi-engine sea rating in this aircraft:

https://www.google.com/search?q=N65NE&r ... B16BAg5EAE

A "Flying Dinghy"?

https://brownsseaplane.com/

They apparently don't offer AMES ratings there after N65NE crashed.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2019/02/s ... ident.html

PP

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#502 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:34 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:17 pm
I got my multi-engine sea rating in this aircraft:

https://www.google.com/search?q=N65NE&r ... B16BAg5EAE

A "Flying Dinghy"?

https://brownsseaplane.com/

They apparently don't offer AMES ratings there after N65NE crashed.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2019/02/s ... ident.html

PP
Are you a certified AMES instructor PHXPhlyer?

I had the privilege of landing a D H Beaver off the Duncan Dock in Cape Town under the beady eye of my ASES instructor friend some 20 years ago (he now being resident in Oz). It was a demanding piece of flying. I wasn't doing the rating but he gave me some training and let me have the experience, and it gave me an insight into the skill and the pitfalls that might lead one astray, not least berthing the aircraft after landing.

^:)^
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#503 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:08 pm

I have maintained my CFI certificate for all of the 35 years since I first got it. :YMAPPLAUSE:
I made a vow to myself that I would do whatever it took to maintain it after all of the effort, time, and money that it took to get it. Also, if you let it lapse it is a Royal pain to get it back.
At first I renewed through additional CFI ratings (II, MEI), then getting signed off by the FAA (when they could still do it based on acquaintance). They ended that practice in the late nineties. I was also able to renew with the FAA on the basis of being a company instructor/check airman for a small commuter operation that, unfortunately, didn't survive long enough for me to use that renewal route again.
Fortunately, for the last 20+ years, I have been able to renew it online through American Flyers on a $99.00 one time fee for lifetime renewals.
The best money that I have ever spent. My next renewal, in a little over a year's time will have the amortized cost at under $9.00 per every two years. :-bd
I wish that I could find that kind of value in other things. :D

The only drawback to using my AMES instructor privileges is the pesky FAA. [-X
The FAR's require an instructor to have 5 hours PIC in make and model to instruct in multi-engine aircraft.
I don't think that applies to ASES instructing, so I'm good there. :YMPARTY:

PP

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#504 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:14 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:08 pm
I have maintained my CFI certificate for all of the 35 years since I first got it. :YMAPPLAUSE:
I made a vow to myself that I would do whatever it took to maintain it after all of the effort, time, and money that it took to get it. Also, if you let it lapse it is a Royal pain to get it back.
At first I renewed through additional CFI ratings (II, MEI), then getting signed off by the FAA (when they could still do it based on acquaintance). They ended that practice in the late nineties. I was also able to renew with the FAA on the basis of being a company instructor/check airman for a small commuter operation that, unfortunately, didn't survive long enough for me to use that renewal route again.
Fortunately, for the last 20+ years, I have been able to renew it online through American Flyers on a $99.00 one time fee for lifetime renewals.
The best money that I have ever spent. My next renewal, in a little over a year's time will have the amortized cost at under $9.00 per every two years.
I wish that I could find that kind of value in other things. :D

The only drawback to using my AMES instructor privileges is the pesky FAA. [-X
The FAR's require an instructor to have 5 hours PIC in make and model to instruct in multi-engine aircraft.
I don't think that applies to ASES instructing, so I'm good there. :YMPARTY:

PP
Long may you abide Sir! Aviation needs more of you :-bd
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#505 Post by Woody » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:54 pm

When all else fails, read the instructions.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#506 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:51 pm

Woody wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:54 pm
"Ach so, die Ottos genießen die Wasserrutsche!"

Ach zu, ze Otto's enjoy ze water slide no!

I enjoyed that so much that I think I might watch it again. =))

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#507 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:57 pm

Even the otters in South Africa are out of control.

https://www.iol.co.za/weekend-argus/new ... f88915c172

Less of this...

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#508 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:07 pm

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:57 pm

Less of this...
Simple solution:
Give these otters their own waterslide and they will leave the paddleboarders alone. :))

PP

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#509 Post by TheGreenAnger » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:54 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:07 pm
TheGreenAnger wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:57 pm

Less of this...
Simple solution:
Give these otters their own waterslide and they will leave the paddleboarders alone. :))

PP
Yes, you are right, Cape Town needs more otters and fewer paddle boarders.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#510 Post by TheGreenAnger » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:19 pm

Well we certainly don't need any more dives like this, but the documentary is excellent, if pretty difficult to watch at times.

Watched this after seeing current women's unlimited (no limits) freediving record holder Tanya Streeter on a TED talk.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#511 Post by TheGreenAnger » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:57 pm

Tanya reminds me of my better half in looks, and frighteningly in English disposition too!

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#512 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:25 am

Australian actor Leo McKern brought Rumpole to life!

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Quantum Mechanics does my nut in

#513 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:32 pm

The late great Feynman just about got there when he tried to explain it to the likes of me and others of my of my limited understanding of the four dimensions, but then I lost him.

This bint explains rather well, in terms that I can understand and can even replicate on a dumb computer, what these Nobel guys have achieved in practical terms.

"Quantum Mechanics brings us to the brink of what is impossible, but no further. It brings us to the point at which we shouldn't fully be able to comprehend what's going on, but no further than that.

These scientists [who've just won their Nobel Prize] showed that is that not only is Quantum Mechanics weird and mysterious and counter-intuitive; it is practical
."

"It brings us to the point at which we shouldn't fully be able to comprehend what's going on, but no further than that."

I think that statement is brilliantly profound. Feynman, may his gawd bless his cotton socks, I'm sure would nod in agreement to that.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Quantum Mechanics does my nut in

#514 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:24 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:32 pm
The late great Feynman just about got there when he tried to explain it to the likes of me and others of my of my limited understanding of the four dimensions, but then I lost him.

This bint explains rather well, in terms that I can understand and can even replicate on a dumb computer, what these Nobel guys have achieved in practical terms.

"Quantum Mechanics brings us to the brink of what is impossible, but no further. It brings us to the point at which we shouldn't fully be able to comprehend what's going on, but no further than that.

These scientists [who've just won their Nobel Prize] showed that is that not only is Quantum Mechanics weird and mysterious and counter-intuitive; it is practical
."

"It brings us to the point at which we shouldn't fully be able to comprehend what's going on, but no further than that."

I think that statement is brilliantly profound. Feynman, may his gawd bless his cotton socks, I'm sure would nod in agreement to that.

John Bell's work on divining that quantum entanglement (vide. Einstein's derisive comment about spooky action at a distance) is real, is fascinating as well as mind boggling. He must be regarded as one of the greatest thinkers that Britain (and/or Ireland) have ever produced (right up there with Newton and Dirac).

French physicist Alain Aspect took that work to its logical practical with this fantastic experiment.

As you say UP, Aspect et al won the Nobel prize this year for the physical verification of a form of Bell's inequality.

Bohm is also well worth reading on this subject although his 'pilot wave theory' is much derided by some.

We need more of this. Well worth watching.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#515 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:05 pm

We need more of anything by filmmaker Ken Burns...

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#516 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:19 pm

Ben Franklin always struck me as being an Edinburgh person.

Both he and I, though not equally.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#517 Post by Karearea » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:17 pm

A Day in London 1930s in color [60fps,Remastered] w/sound design added [8:28]
...various shots of Trafalgar Square and various shots of Picadilly Circus and awesome train shots .
Excellent clarity and quality.
Very interesting to read the comments.

There's rosemary, that's for remembrance. ...

fin
Capt
Capt

#518 Post by fin » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:31 pm

It makes me wish I lived in a time when time travel was perfected. Would LOVE to spend an afternoon sitting there in the sunshine and enjoying more of that ambience.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Barely a hundred years ago, this was our way of life

#519 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:00 am

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#520 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:01 pm

We need more infinity.

Highly recommended!