Stranded in Nigeria

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Stranded in Nigeria

#1 Post by OFSO » Fri May 08, 2020 3:17 pm

Four British workers in the oil industry whose contracts have ended have been left stranded in Lagos, Nigeria. These are guys working on the rigs who help produce what ends up fuelling your cars (except Undried Plum's Tesla, of course !)

Their employer couldn't give a Tinkers Cuss about how they return to the UK and neither could the British Government.

Could I ask anyone feeling strongly about this to go to Change Org and sign the relevant petition.

Capetonian

Re: Stranded in Nigeria

#2 Post by Capetonian » Fri May 08, 2020 3:20 pm

I have signed it : https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliament-get-us-home

I hope others will feel strongly enough to do so.
We are 4 British Divers/Seamen strandard in Lagos, Nigeria without any means to return home to our families and the relative safety from the world pandemic of covid 19. One member of our group is getting on in years and suffers from asthma. The situation in Nigeria is deteriorating every day and the spread of the virus unstoppable due to poor healthcare and lockdown procedures. We are living in a metal container on the deck of a ship in the port of Lagos without any support from our government and unable to contact anyone to speak to. We have been told the final repatriation flight is leaving today 8.05.20 and we are not on it with no other flights planned. All we want is to go home. Please sign our petition and help us to see our families again

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by OFSO » Fri May 08, 2020 3:33 pm

One of these guys is a good friend of mine. These are the men from the rigs who put the fuel in your cars (except Undried Plum's, of course). Came off shift in Port Harcourt last week, armed guards to hotel. No flights from PHC. After a few days (delay not their fault) driven the 14 hrs to Lagos, again with armed guards. Frequent stops for roadblocks and baksheesh. Straight into guarded compound in Lagos and left there. Missed flights on May 1 and 5 and no seats today. Company couldn't care less and HMG Commissioner not answering phone. No more flights planned. Usual thing, plenty of HMG money to subsidise everything else but nothing to help honest workers get home.

BTW, the guys aren't looking for a free flight ! Just a flight. They'll pay.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by ian16th » Fri May 08, 2020 3:49 pm

OFSO wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:33 pm
One of these guys is a good friend of mine. These are the men from the rigs who put the fuel in your cars (except Undried Plum's, of course). Came off shift in Port Harcourt last week, armed guards to hotel. No flights from PHC. After a few days (delay not their fault) driven the 14 hrs to Lagos, again with armed guards. Frequent stops for roadblocks and baksheesh. Straight into guarded compound in Lagos and left there. Missed flights on May 1 and 5 and no seats today. Company couldn't care less and HMG Commissioner not answering phone. No more flights planned. Usual thing, plenty of HMG money to subsidise everything else but nothing to help honest workers get home.

BTW, the guys aren't looking for a free flight ! Just a flight. They'll pay.
I suppose that the UK High Commission is now in Abuja not Lagos. But Lagos should have a Consulate.
Cynicism improves with age

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by OFSO » Fri May 08, 2020 5:52 pm

There are 456 people listed for evac from Lagos but no plans yet to bring them back. How difficult is it to charter two flights. HMG will charge the passengers a realistic fare so no financial loss.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Undried Plum » Fri May 08, 2020 6:49 pm

I don't understand. Why haven't they shown a bit of initiative?

If it had been me, I'd have contacted several of the largest shipping agents in town and enquired what vessels are sailing to any European port in the next week.

All cargo ships are allowed to carry up to a dozen fare-paying passengers without a passenger-carrying licence. The ship owners are happy to have a bit of extra revenue and the crews are pleased to have some new faces and some good conversation in the Mess and Rec Room. These guys would be doubly welcome as they've done umpteen fire-fighting and survival courses including very realistic abandonment exercises. They know how to conduct themselves aboard ship and they'd be no burden.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by OFSO » Fri May 08, 2020 7:22 pm

My thoughts were the same Mr Plum. However there are logistic considerations in summoning up guards to take you round to offices and out to moored vessels. KfR, Kidnapping for Ransom being the Nigerian way of life.

I'd have tried to get a berth, but I'm not there...

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Woody » Fri May 08, 2020 7:52 pm

May 8, 2020
British Airways Boeing 747-436 G-CIVO positioned London Heathrow – Lagos as BA9155 early this morning in order to operate a Lagos – London Heathrow repatriation flight as BA9156.
That’s 335 seats.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by G-CPTN » Fri May 08, 2020 7:56 pm

I was going to suggest that Woody could probably organise something!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by OFSO » Fri May 08, 2020 8:11 pm

All seats were taken before my friend(s) arrived in LOS. Woody, be grateful for any info on the next repat flight !

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Woody » Fri May 08, 2020 8:12 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:56 pm
I was going to suggest that Woody could probably organise something!
I’m furloughed for the foreseeable future,so out of my hands, but the operating Skipper is a family friend :-bd

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Woody » Fri May 08, 2020 8:17 pm

OFSO wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:11 pm
All seats were taken before my friend(s) arrived in LOS. Woody, be grateful for any info on the next repat flight !
I only knew about it because I know the flight crew, the only information that I can find is this https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... -to-the-uk

Capetonian

#13 Post by Capetonian » Fri May 08, 2020 8:59 pm

They've updated that since I looked at it this morning and they now indicate that there are no options available until and unless they put on more flights.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by 1DC » Sat May 09, 2020 9:59 am

Their still seems to be commercial flights out of Accra if they could get there..

Capetonian

#15 Post by Capetonian » Sat May 09, 2020 10:26 am

There are no bookable commercial flights out of ACC to anywhere from where they could get to LON or even Europe. They are all either cancelled or blocked off for sale.

Good suggestion in theory but unfortunately in reality it doesn't work.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by tango15 » Sat May 09, 2020 10:37 am

Capetonian wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:26 am
There are no bookable commercial flights out of ACC to anywhere from where they could get to LON or even Europe. They are all either cancelled or blocked off for sale.

Good suggestion in theory but unfortunately in reality it doesn't work.
I have a British firend who lives in Ghana. He told me a few days ago that he has no chance of getting out before Setpember.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by OFSO » Sat May 09, 2020 1:01 pm

Heard from Lagos that only diplomatic flights or flights agreed with foreign governments will be allowed in/out of Nigerian airspace for the foreseeable future.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Undried Plum » Sat May 09, 2020 1:17 pm

So, I revert to my position on the matter.

Contact the **** ships agents and arrange a trip to Europe for them all (the Brit divers and LSTs, not the three hundred who are prolly Naija people anyway and at home in that country).

I've worked as a Superintendent of dive support ships. In that situation, as described above, I'd have moved Heaven and Earth to get 'my' guys berths on ships outta there.

Bollocks to the airlines. Use the ships.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by OFSO » Sun May 10, 2020 11:42 am

They have been told no ships will take them and not to contact shipping agents. That's all I know. If it's Corona virus related, they can't get tested to prove they are negative.

BTW, they were employed by a Nigerian firm which has written them off.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by ian16th » Sun May 10, 2020 12:02 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:42 am
They have been told no ships will take them and not to contact shipping agents. That's all I know. If it's Corona virus related, they can't get tested to prove they are negative.

BTW, they were employed by a Nigerian firm which has written them off.
They sound like UK Citizens in distress so the High Commission should help.

With the apparent lack of success they are having, I'd try political pressure.

Where are their home addresses? Who are their MP's?
A member of the opposition is always preferable when one wants to create a noise.
Cynicism improves with age