Staggering Out Over The Abyss

General Chit Chat
Capetonian

Re: Staggering Out Over The Abyss

#381 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:17 am

pastedImage.png
pastedImage.png (621.01 KiB) Viewed 476 times
Possibly photoshopped, possibly not. Tragi-comic anyway.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#382 Post by Woody » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:51 am

Wonder how much difference this will make

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-44979245
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Capetonian

#383 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:44 am

ZANU PF will 'win' even if they don't win, that is African politics, that is what happens when you hand a well-run, admittedly not democratic, country over to a bunch of howling savages who don't understand democracy. Mnangagwa is a thug no better or worse than Robbing Mugape who preceded him.

They got the 'democracy' that the lefties and hand-wringers of the world wanted. It's done them a lot of good, hasn't it?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#384 Post by ian16th » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:29 pm

The Zim election must be close.

It is taking the Electoral Commision time to fix count the votes.
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#385 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:20 pm

The MDC will naturally say that ZPF are trying to fix the vote.
ZPF will claim that MDC have exerted undue influence on voters.
115% percent of the population will have voted, including voters aged 120 years, in a country where average life expectancy is (I think) about 38 years.
There are two possible results.
ZPF will declare the result null and void.
ZPF will say that the result is 'inconclusive' and they will set up a 'power sharing' government. As we all, savages can't share anything.
I am afraid that the result will not be a better future for the poor long-suffering folk of Zimbabwe.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#386 Post by OFSO » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:52 am

I see on the news this morning that SA is going to introduce legislation to rectify the fact that a disproportionate percentage of whites own most agricultural land. Expropriation will take place 'if necessary' without compensation.

Capetonian

#387 Post by Capetonian » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:14 am

That's because a disproportionate number of white people worked bloody hard to make the land arable and productive, whilst the blacks sat around scratching their backsides, picking their noses and breeding.

The result of handing over viable farms to the indigenous population can be seen from what has happened north of the Limpopo, a disaster of epic proportions for everybody, not just the white farmers, but the blacks who depended on them. I had hoped that ZA would not emulate the same catastrophic policy.

Speaking of north of the Limpopo, it looks as if ZPF have 'won' the election and will form the next governmunt. Some white farmers are returning, so there may be some light.

Capetonian

#388 Post by Capetonian » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:45 am

One piece of negative news after another..............
LIVE: Zim to announce presidential election results at 12:30
51 minutes ago

Zimbabweans are eagerly awaiting the results of the presidential election after the ruling Zanu-PF party won the majority of seats in parliament. Follow the live update here
LIVE: 'This is our moment' - Women come out in numbers for #TheTotalShutdown march
2018-08-01 08:28

The start of Women's Month in South Africa will be marked by countrywide marches and pickets over violence again women, children and gender non-conforming people.
Prasa operating without a valid safety permit - Railway Safety Regulator

The Railway Safety Regulator (RSR) on Wednesday said the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (Prasa) is operating without a valid safety permit after it "refused" to issue it following its expiration on Tuesday.

"The RSR is of the opinion that Prasa cannot demonstrate to the regulator that it has the ability, commitment and resources to properly assess and effectively control the risks to assets and safety of its customers, staff, contractors, visitors and others who may be affected by its railway operations," spokesperson Madelein Williams said in a statement.

"Prasa’s permit, which was previously issued with special conditions, expired at midnight on 31 July and the RSR has taken a decision not to issue a permit until it is satisfied that Prasa’s planned interventions addresses the current safety concerns."
Big blow for rand, economy as ANC set to change Constitution on land

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#389 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:33 am

Die hele plek gaan ontplof…
South Africa will push ahead with plans to amend the constitution to allow land expropriation without compensation, its president says.

In a recorded address, President Cyril Ramaphosa said the ruling ANC will "finalise a proposed amendment" allowing the move.

He said the reform was "of critical importance" to the economy.

Recent months have seen growing anger about the slow pace of land reform in South Africa.

The country's white minority is believed to have a disproportionate hold over land, with a few thousand white commercial farmers possessing the most fertile lands.

However, critics fear expropriation could lead to land grabs, as happened in neighbouring Zimbabwe.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-45026931

Caco

Capetonian

#390 Post by Capetonian » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:41 pm

Another blow for the long-suffering people of Zimbabwe as another evil murdering thug retains his grip on the presidency. Most of my Zimbabwean/Rhodesian friends, black and white, feel that he is possibly worse, and certainly no better than, Mugape.

Very sad to see so many people's hopes dashed. African politics.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#391 Post by Woody » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:53 pm

What a surprise ~X(
Three people were killed in Zimbabwe's capital Harare after troops opened fire on rioting opposition supporters, police say.
The government says the army was deployed in central Harare to help police restore order.
The opposition MDC Alliance condemned the crackdown, saying it was a reminder of the "dark days" of Robert Mugabe's rule.
It alleges that the governing Zanu-PF party has rigged Monday's elections.
Zimbabwe violence: As it happened
Harare chaos in pictures
Parliamentary results show Zanu-PF heading for a big majority in the first elections since long-serving ruler Mr Mugabe was ousted from power.
The presidential result has yet to be declared. However, the MDC Alliance insists that its presidential candidate, Nelson Chamisa, won Monday's election.
European Union monitors have expressed concern over the length of time it is taking to declare the presidential result.

Capetonian

#392 Post by Capetonian » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:19 am

Events in ZW prove that you can't give democracy to savages, which is why benign dictatorships have worked.

Meanwhile in ZA, another parastatal, the SABC, is on its knees and submerged in debt.
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News ... s-20180804
Whilst some may argue that it if collapses it would be no great loss to the nation, it would be a loss to those directly and indirectly employed by the SABC, and even third world banana republics have a state broadcaster (= propaganda machine.)

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#393 Post by Cacophonix » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:31 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:19 am
Events in ZW prove that you can't give democracy to savages, which is why benign dictatorships have worked.

Meanwhile in ZA, another parastatal, the SABC, is on its knees and submerged in debt.
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News ... s-20180804
Whilst some may argue that it if collapses it would be no great loss to the nation, it would be a loss to those directly and indirectly employed by the SABC, and even third world banana republics have a state broadcaster (= propaganda machine.)

Yes I know, didn't good old Mussolini get the trains running on time and that other lot in Germany certainly did a great deal for the shower manufacturing sector of their economy! 8-|

Pity their "benign" natures weren't quite what they were cracked up to be.

Caco

Capetonian

#394 Post by Capetonian » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:05 pm

Caco, you're conflating two different matters there.

Benign and undemocratic dictatorships in ZA ZW worked better, and for more people, than the malignant and toxic 'democratic' regimes currently destroying those two countries.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#395 Post by Cacophonix » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:05 pm
Caco, you're conflating two different matters there.

Benign and undemocratic dictatorships in ZA ZW worked better, and for more people, than the malignant and toxic 'democratic' regimes currently destroying those two countries.
So what you are saying is that apartheid was better for the majority of South Africans, which is a truly bizarre, if not controversial or tendentious assertion, but one which you probably genuinely believe to be true!

I would argue that your logic is flawed based, as it is, upon a specious or at best, very unlikely premise!

I would not disagree with your assertion that Western style democratic processes have not, historically, had much success within the context of most of the African continent. The reasons for that are complex I guess and beg a PhD thesis (or perhaps a good tempered argument over a beer)! :)

Caco

Capetonian

#396 Post by Capetonian » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:27 pm

That's exactly what I am saying. For majority, let's refer to the black and coloured people, as it was they who were meant to have benefited from the installation of a 'democratic' regime.

Whilst liberals love to talk about the emergence of a 'black middle class' whatever that hackneyed phrase means, undoubtedly the new regime has given and created opportunities. Above them, there are the elite few who have benefited from the cronyism and corruption that marks the ANC, particularly during Zuma's presidency. These are the people we see piling out of Lamborghinis, dripping with gold and designer labels, and filling expensive restaurants in the CPT Waterfront and in Saxonwold and Bryanston.

Below them, and this is really the problem, are the 55% of the population who live in poverty, with little hope for a better future, in shacks without facilities. By changing the definitions, I am well aware that the ANC have 'improved' education and medical facilities, built 'homes' and so on, but it's largely smoke and mirror stuff, lowering the standard so that more students pass their exams, and so on.

Look across the river, as the old song (wrongly attributed to John Edmond) said, only in those days it meant looking south, but can you look north across the Limpopo at the ongoing tragedy that is called Zimbabwe, and honestly tell me that the people there are better off than they were under the old Rhodesian Front regime?

As for the whites in South Africa, many continue to live the same fabulous lifestyle as before, the main difference being that their domestic staff are Malawian and Zimbabwean these days, but there is also a huge underclass of poor whites and pensioners who are really battling. I watched a programme recently with Sir Trevor MacDonald, of whom I would have expected better, who interviewed one of these 'poor whites' and with a nasty little smirk on his face, said : "It's payback time after what you did under Apartheid."

You may have seen this

If not you can skip the first 80 seconds of the drivelling USAmerica woman and listen to what Trevor Noah says.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#397 Post by Woody » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:02 pm

Even though I’m one of the incomers, that’s only going to be in the area for a few months a year, there are plenty of opportunities to purchase a lock up and leave property that won’t affect communities such as Bo-Kaap

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-44777755

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#398 Post by Smeagol » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:23 pm

Capetonian says it like it is.

I only lived in SA for just over 3 years back in the late 1970's, obviously under the apartheid regime but have remained in contact with friends there ever since. When we left our servant (yes I know that may well offend some people but it worked for both sides - we got some domestic help which enabled both of us to work and Agnes got a job and could provide for her family - win/win) said to my wife " what will we do if all you white people leave?" Now we know !
We hates Bagginses!

Capetonian

#399 Post by Capetonian » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:55 am

I can remember my Xhosa maid, who was uneducated but very smart and perceptive, when I told her that I was moving overseas, asking me who was going to clean my house and do my ironing and so on. When I said I'd probably have to do it myself, she said : "That is no way for a white man to live."
She once told that me that she hoped she would be dead by the time blacks took over running the country as it would be a disaster. And it is.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#400 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:08 am

Capetonian wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:55 am
I can remember my Xhosa maid, who was uneducated but very smart and perceptive, when I told her that I was moving overseas, asking me who was going to clean my house and do my ironing and so on. When I said I'd probably have to do it myself, she said : "That is no way for a white man to live."
She once told that me that she hoped she would be dead by the time blacks took over running the country as it would be a disaster. And it is.
Now that you have finally admitted that you have actually left South Africa, perhaps it is time to change your moniker to Ex-Capetonian or something like that!

Pretending to still be a Capetonian is a bit like me calling myself Bosveld Dan, Sarel Swartbaard, Piet Pompies or, even, Jannie Lang Slang when, in fact, I am actually living in Britain, even though I do have dual citizenship! ;)))

Caco