Staggering Out Over The Abyss

General Chit Chat
G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Staggering Out Over The Abyss

#541 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:37 pm

When we moved to Denmark in 1980, property was 'cheap' by UK standards and standards were higher than UK (ie you got a lot more for your money in terms of typical building size and garden size) but whilst we were there the property market stagnated and you could buy new properties for less than they had been when we arrived - therefore negative equity was the norm.
Fortunately we had decided to rent (in Denmark) and rent out our UK house - which had risen in value during our absence.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#542 Post by Woody » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:56 pm

But whats it done to the value of your SA property?

The value of my 3 bed, 2 bath, double garage, detached house wouldn't buy me a dog kennel in most of the UK.

Not good , but fortunately we’re in the position that we are not relying on the value of our apartment at the moment.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#543 Post by ian16th » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:08 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:37 pm
When we moved to Denmark in 1980, property was 'cheap' by UK standards and standards were higher than UK (ie you got a lot more for your money in terms of typical building size and garden size) but whilst we were there the property market stagnated and you could buy new properties for less than they had been when we arrived - therefore negative equity was the norm.
Fortunately we had decided to rent (in Denmark) and rent out our UK house - which had risen in value during our absence.
You were lucky.

Everyone that I know, who has let out their prime residence has had problems.
Cynicism improves with age

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#544 Post by ian16th » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:09 pm

Woody wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:56 pm
But whats it done to the value of your SA property?

The value of my 3 bed, 2 bath, double garage, detached house wouldn't buy me a dog kennel in most of the UK.

Not good , but fortunately we’re in the position that we are not relying on the value of our apartment at the moment.
We wrote off our SA house years ago.
Cynicism improves with age

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#545 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:21 pm

ian16th wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:08 pm
You were lucky.

Everyone that I know, who has let out their prime residence has had problems.
Our worst problem was the wood-block kitchen floor had to be scraped to remove layers of grease - and a missing wheelbarrow.

Friends had their tenants let the heating oil run out and the house plumbing froze and brought down the ceilings - at which stage the tenants had disappeared without trace.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#546 Post by Woody » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:09 pm

Married life got off to an unexpected start for a pair of newlyweds in South Africa when police showed up to the party.
They had received a tip-off that the wedding in KwaZulu-Natal was happening on Sunday despite a nationwide ban on all public gatherings because of coronavirus.
All 50 wedding guests, the pastor who conducted the ceremony, and the newlyweds themselves were promptly arrested and taken to a police station outside Richards Bay.
The whole group is to be charged in court on Monday.
Widely circulated videos show the moment the besuited groom helps his wife into the back of a police van in her white wedding dress, complete with train and veil:

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#547 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:23 pm

I can think of a number of chaps who might have wished the police had arrested them just before they were married.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Capetonian

#548 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:21 pm

IMG_20200605_175840.jpg
Look the date.

Could this have been a sharp twist to the downward spiral of South Africa?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#549 Post by Woody » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:34 pm

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#550 Post by Woody » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:58 pm

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#551 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:26 pm

Woody wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:58 pm
Nothing to worry about, move along :-o

https://www.capetownetc.com/news/watch- ... ness-test/
Many aspects of life in the SANDF (as opposed to the old SADF) seem more akin to care in the community or jobs for the masses, than anything that resembles a life of military rigor, discipline, skill, fitness and excellence. While working in Simons Town on contract in 2013, I used to watch the morning tide of the unfit, untrained, uninspired masses wash into the base to do God knows what, and then wash out again at 16:00 hrs. While some units still maintain a level of excellence (the special forces, for example) the general tenor amongst many areas and units is slack and incompetent, and whose poor situation is compounded by bad and often corrupt leadership.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#552 Post by Woody » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:43 pm

Hopefully this lot are some of the better ones :D

https://www.news24.com/news24/africa/ne ... e-20210728

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#553 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:52 pm

Woody wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:43 pm
Hopefully this lot are some of the better ones :D

https://www.news24.com/news24/africa/ne ... e-20210728
Well here's the thing...
South Africa’s initial military contribution to ending an Islamic insurgency in the northern part of Mozambique has the Presidential seal of approval and a current expenditure estimate of just under a billion rand.

President Cyril Ramaphosa, Commander-in-Chief of the SA National Defence Force (SANDF), informed Parliament via a letter to National Assembly Speaker Thandi Modise on 23 July, he authorises a three month “employment” of 1 495 South African military personnel in the country’s eastern neighbour at a cost of R984 368 057.

According to the Presidential letter, the South African military contingent is in Mozambique “for a service in fulfilment of an international obligation of South Africa toward SADC (Southern African Development Community), in order to support Mozambique to combat acts of terrorism and violent extremists that affected the area of Caba Delgado Province (sic)”.

No mention is made of the units now “employed” in Mozambique, with Democratic Alliance (DA) shadow defence and military veterans minister Kobus Marais seeking details of actual deployment.

“As I understand ‘employment’ is the condition of having paid work, in the military ‘stand by’ is probably the best description. ‘Deployment’, on the other hand, is movement of troops and/or equipment into position for military action and clarity is needed on this as well as further financial commitments,” he said.

The first South African soldiers to be sent to Mozambique were elements of the Special Forces flown in by a SA Air Force (SAAF) 28 Squadron C-130BZ to Pemba on Monday a week ago. They, together with the remainder of troops authorised by Ramaphosa, are the only SANDF personnel presently “employed” in Mozambique.

The deployment is for three months from 15 July to 15 October.

There has been no word from either the regional bloc or the SANDF on what the SA Special Forces elements will do with indications intelligence gathering, reconnaissance and advising FADM (Armed Forces for the Defence of Mozambique) will be initial taskings.
https://www.defenceweb.co.za/sa-defence ... newsletter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Afr ... ial_Forces
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#554 Post by Woody » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:37 pm

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#555 Post by Woody » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:00 pm

I’d love to be able to drink recklessly in the Western Cape :((

https://www.capetownetc.com/news/wc-gov ... sponsibly/

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#556 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:49 pm

Some good news for once... :YMAPPLAUSE: ^:)^
Star swimmer Tatjana Schoenmaker claimed South Africa's first Olympic gold medal in Tokyo as she won the women's 200m breaststroke final on Friday, setting a new world record in the process.
Tatjana.jpg
Tatjana.jpg (60.67 KiB) Viewed 454 times
It was a flawless display from the 24-year-old, who touched the wall in a time of 2:18.95.
https://www.news24.com/sport/othersport ... o-20210730
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#557 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:36 pm

Dallas staggers out over the abyss all the time and has a ball!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... f-a-jaguar at 46!
“I was driving a little jeep and I got stuck in the mud. I tried putting my skateboard under the wheels but that didn’t work so I was looking for some wood and I walked off and found this little hut down the track.

“There were white droppings outside so I knew there was a meat-eater around and then when I walked in the door I saw this jaguar and oh, *****, this was clearly its lair, so I let rip, roared like some Tarzan crazy man to let the thing know I was something to be reckoned with and luckily it bolted out the back.

“So I just stood there and thought: ‘Oh *****. That thing could have killed me and then: ‘Oh *****, I’m glad I’ve seen it.’ Then I walked 5km to the road to hitch a truck to come pull me out of the mud.”

Oberholzer says he has never had a proper job. But he does have a lot of these stories. He is thinking about putting them down in a book. There is the one about paragliding off Sugarloaf Mountain. And the time he worked as a chauffeur for Janet Jackson. And when he walked into a Zulu village, stony broke but with his skateboard and started teaching tricks to the kids. “They liked it so much they ended up giving me a piece of land. If I didn’t have that I would probably be on the streets.”

He still lives there, off and on, “I’m the only white person for a 30km radius and the rest of South Africa thinks I’m crazy.”

Now Oberholzer has the tale about the time he competed in the Olympics. He said it is as good as any of them. “Especially at my age and given how unexpected this all was. I’m only here because I heard this was coming around about six years ago and I thought to myself: ‘Well I’ve got nothing else to do, so let’s stick it.’” He finished last in his heat. He didn’t care.

Oberholzer, who has a salt and pepper beard, and was wearing a Zebra print shirt – “my same old rig” – demonstrated a slow, leisurely style of park skating, which felt like something from another era when it was set next to teenage acrobatics of the kids he was competing with.

The winner, Australia’s Keegan Palmer, is 18. “At my age I’m not going for gold,” Oberholzer said, “It wasn’t like: ‘Oh my God it’s the Olympics.’ It was just another fun skate session. I’m out there acknowledging other people’s successes. And I’m used to hanging out with 14-year-olds, they’re like my skateboarding family.”

When Oberholzer was that age, he never imagined skating would take him to the Olympics. “It was taboo, it was frowned upon, it was a waste of time,” he says. “When I chose skateboarding over mainstream sports everybody would look at me like a freak, well skateboarding was a bit of a freak show, so that became my safe space.” Even now, he says, people still say to him “dude, you’re still skateboarding? Really?”

He wasn’t quite the oldest man in the field. That was Rune Glifberg, from Denmark. Glifberg, a legendary figure in the sport in the 1990s, came out of semi-retirement to compete here and had the honour of being the first man to drop in.

“When I started skateboarding, being part of the Olympics was probably one of the most uncool things you could do,” he said, “I think the last Olympics I paid attention to was 84 in Los Angeles. But we’re in a different spot now. It’s great to see skateboarding on this world stage and I’m super happy to show the world that skateboarding is here. It’s a beautiful thing.”

Glifberg seems a little conflicted about what being in the Olympics will mean for his sport. “Unfortunately we’re going to see a little bit of a divide in the future, not for the worse, but a small percentage of skateboarders are going to be more focused on competing and skating the Olympics,” he says.

For him, “skateboarding in its true form isn’t about competition, it’s about the camaraderie and friendship”. He was happy they were able to show some of that this week But “it’s also about people from all walks of life being out there in the streets skateboarding, skinning their knees, blood running down their arms, battling security guards, jumping fences, and doing what we do. And that part of skateboarding is going to survive. Next week, those people aren’t going to be thinking about the Olympics.”

Oberholzer understands. “Rune and I, we’re the guys who stuck it out and we’re both happy to represent the older generation and make sure skateboarding is remembered for having a mixed bag of misfits”

He doesn’t think anyone in their forties will skate in the Olympics again. Looking at the way the sport is already changing, “I think you’ll be lucky to make it here in your thirties.”

He could not quite believe some of what he’d seen this week. “The Americans, have you seen the crews they’ve got? They’re like eight deep. They’ve got physios. Please, I’m stumbling around with my pads in my laundry bag because I’ve got so much to carry. But that’s what I’m used to. I’m used to being the lone ranger.”

But Oberholzer does not think those changes are a bad thing. “The guys who want to keep it raw and dirty and under the bridge will always be there, but the Olympics means more opportunities, more endorsements, more government support,” he says. That means more participation, which is what he really cares about. Oberholzer is channelling his energy into the non-profits he founded, the Indigo Youth Movement and Indigo Skate Camp, which runs youth intervention and after-school skate programmes for underprivileged kids. He has become a great advocate for what his sport can do.

“Growing up in South Africa we all went to separated schools,” he says, “and the only time we got to mix up in the streets with other cultures and races was on our skateboards. My first friends who were of colour were the ones I met rolling in a plaza and I’ve kind of stuck with that.

“Skateboarding is the most integrated activity in South Africa and it’s high time the government embraced it. There’s no need for racial quotas in skateboarding. It’s naturally the way it is. I know my successors will be of colourand I know they will be here soon.”

He does because he is teaching them himself. If he is at Paris in 2024, it could be as the head of their national federation. It will be good to catch up with him again, if we both make it. I’m not sure I’ve met an Olympian quite like Oberholzer. I’m not sure anyone has.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#558 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:26 am

Dallas Oberholzer walks the walk...a truly humble "main skate".

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#559 Post by Woody » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:04 am

Must admit that I’ve never come across this story before, it makes for uncomfortable reading.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-57961151

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#560 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:07 am

Woody wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:04 am
Must admit that I’ve never come across this story before, it makes for uncomfortable reading.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-57961151
Absolutely true sadly!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."