General Chit Chat
TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Capetonian.

#81 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:57 pm

boing wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:05 pm
Perhaps there is a little lesson here - we should all have an "angel" on the site.
We are fortunate that Cape had good friends and contacts who could eventually update us on his condition rather than having him disappear mysteriously into the sunset with us not knowing whether he had passed on or whether he had simply lost interest in the site for some reason.
Dylan Thomas - 1914-1953

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
boing I agree, even the folks that I don't necessarily agree with here, nor they with me, and who I have never met, have become uncommonly meaningful. Indeed there are some here, who I may never meet whose absence I would miss very much indeed! Tis a strange virtual word indeed...

All in all there are some fine people here and I am pleased and honoured, to be an acquaintance, however transient, with them.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

reddo
Capt
Capt

#82 Post by reddo » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:39 pm

I have just read in. Such sad sorry news.
RIP Mike/Capetonian, sincere condolences to his friends and family.

He will be missed.

CremeEgg
Snr FO
Snr FO

#83 Post by CremeEgg » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:25 pm

Never met, never corresponded, but Cape will be much missed. So capable of tying others up in knots; I suspect fiercely intelligent and widely knowledgable. As others have said his acerbic wit was a joy to behold. So wonderfully un PC but devastatingly accurate. I feel honoured, as an infrequent poster but frequent reader, to have been contacted by Cape when he was exploring the possibilities of setting up another Forum when Alison was having problems.

I trust someone who has the right contacts will ensure that his family sees these fitting tributes. I recall someone did something similar for the widow of 411A when on TOP.

RIP Mike

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#84 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:48 pm

CremeEgg wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:25 pm
Never met, never corresponded, but Cape will be much missed. So capable of tying others up in knots; I suspect fiercely intelligent and widely knowledgable. As others have said his acerbic wit was a joy to behold. So wonderfully un PC but devastatingly accurate. I feel honoured, as an infrequent poster but frequent reader, to have been contacted by Cape when he was exploring the possibilities of setting up another Forum when Alison was having problems.

I trust someone who has the right contacts will ensure that his family sees these fitting tributes. I recall someone did something similar for the widow of 411A when on TOP.

RIP Mike
His family are well aware of this site and will no doubt make an appropriate comment at the right time.

I must say that I give Alison 10/10... I wouldn't like anybody like me on my site... =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#85 Post by jimtherev » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:22 pm

As always, everyone's said all I would have wanted to say by the time I got here. So, plus one to the above.
And thank God for Mike.

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#86 Post by bob2s » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:44 pm

Terrible news of Mikes passing,even though I did not know him personally he left a mark as to being some one who cared, even to the point of when posting of my own medical problems he took the time to send me a personal message in which he showed empathy with me by telling me about his own medical problems, myeloid fibrosis which he said were going awry. His advice to me was live every day to the most,because life is too short and you don't know what lies in store.

REST IN PEACE MIKE And thank you for being one who cares.

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#87 Post by G~Man » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:59 am

Cape was clearly a good egg....RIP my friend.....
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#88 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:43 am

Sad loss, condolences. RIP
Lost a mate a couple of years ago, similar circumstances, leukemia, bone marrow transplant, degraded immune system, cardiac arrest. The start of it, the leukemia, was attributed to working on the apron marshalling aircraft arriving and departing, inhalation of jet fuel fumes.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#89 Post by Pinky the pilot » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:02 am

Exchanged pm's with him a few times elsewhere, and always enjoyed reading his posts.

Will be raising a glass or three of a good Barossa Shiraz shortly.

RIP Mike.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#90 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:35 am

G~Man wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:59 am
Understatement G-Man. Had the pleasure of entertaining him here, with his delightful wife, also on Amorgos. I am going to have to shift even more right wing to make up for his loss. Sorry GG, you will have to argue with me now.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#91 Post by Magnus » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:01 am

After I met Mike, we exchanged PMs from time to time. On finding out that MrsP and I were going to ZA on holiday, he recommended a restaurant close to where we were staying in Cape Town. Thank you, Mike, for Nelson's Eye.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#92 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:14 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:35 am
G~Man wrote:
Understatement G-Man. Had the pleasure of entertaining him here, with his delightful wife, also on Amorgos. I am going to have to shift even more right wing to make up for his loss. Sorry GG, you will have to argue with me now.
Haven't the heart at the moment Ex-Ascot but no doubt I will summon up the will if you reach full Capetonian level of provocation! ;))) :)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

The Flying Wordsmith

#93 Post by The Flying Wordsmith » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:19 pm

A dear aviation friend lost... Tailwinds and Blue Skies Mike...

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#94 Post by Dushan » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:15 pm

So sad to hear this. Never met him but corresponded with him, a bit, during the TOP days.

Condolences to his family and close friends. His unapologetic un-PC stance was always a bright reminder that not all is lost despite all the "woke" sentiments of today. Rest In Peace Mike.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#95 Post by Opsboi » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:45 pm

What a brave man

My condolences to his family and those of you who knew him personally

Nos da, Mike

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#96 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:31 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:14 am
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:35 am
G~Man wrote:
Haven't the heart at the moment Ex-Ascot but no doubt I will summon up the will if you reach full Capetonian level of provocation! ;))) :)
I am going to have to work hard on it but I am afraid the master has left us so no tuition available. When we had tea at The Club he said to me that there was going to be one person there that he may argue with but he would try to behave. Unless you had words in the little boys room he did. :-bd
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#97 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:08 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:31 am
I am going to have to work hard on it but I am afraid the master has left us so no tuition available. When we had tea at The Club he said to me that there was going to be one person there that he may argue with but he would try to behave. Unless you had words in the little boys room he did. :-bd
No he certainly reveled in his role, I mean look at his avatar - "casa bigot"... for goodness sake =))

I noticed that we were subtly placed at opposite ends of the table at The Club... ;)))

He and I were on our best behaviour though and, sadly, it was in the shared taxi on the way back into London that he privately told me about his worsening health condition. He had originally been diagnosed years before, in South Africa I believe. Last year when he visited with Carmen and bearded me in my den, he ended up sleeping on the couch after lunch and I realized that his health was deteriorating.

Poor bloke, he was so positive and so much looking forward to travelling again... two days on I am still struggling to comprehend this all.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#98 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:19 am

I know GG. A big shock. All in the know thought that this treatment was going to be the end of the problem. I didn't realize that there is considerable risk. Nursie tells me that there is. He had no choice and he was very complimentary about his doctors and they were frogs. We all know his opinion of frogs. Very verbal about the hospital food though.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#99 Post by John Hill » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:33 am

RIP Cape.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#100 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:36 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:19 am
I know GG. A big shock. All in the know thought that this treatment was going to be the end of the problem. I didn't realize that there is considerable risk. Nursie tells me that there is. He had no choice and he was very complimentary about his doctors and they were frogs. We all know his opinion of frogs. Very verbal about the hospital food though.
I grew to enjoy the contradictions in his opinions, he loathed the French but yet lived in France and, as you say, was nothing but positive about his French doctors and the treatment he was receiving. Constantly carping on about non-reflectives but in his private conversations showed a far more reasonable, almost whimsical approach to the same folk. As for the food, I made a joke, one which troubles me now, with him when he mentioned the food on a phone call during his first sojourn in hospital and I mentioned the anecdote about Richard Harris who retired to live permanently in the Savoy Hotel where he used to come and go in his dressing gown, even having a little screen to hide him and his slippers from the other guests at breakfast. Anyway on the day he was rushed to hospital he was carried out of the lobby on a stretcher and in the most crowded part of the lobby, much to the dismay of the staff, he arose one last time on his elbow and intoned loudly in his most Shakespearean voice "it was the food!" He expired shortly thereafter!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."