Capetonian.

General Chit Chat
Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Capetonian.

#121 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:30 am

Having a morning coffee and thinking about how this place help fosters a healthy debate.

And remember how Cape enjoyed coffee.

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#122 Post by Smeagol » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:41 pm

Just signed on after 2 weeks 'off line' in Cornwall and am shocked to read this thread and learn of Cape/Mike's demise.

We never met (I think) but I believe we had much in common. I believe that Cape was an immigrant to Cape Town in the same year as myself and we discussed same probably on TOP some years ago. I have also been accused of being somewhat 'Right Wing', several large strides to the right of Attila the Hun in fact.

As many others have said, his wit and intellect will be sadly missed.

A large glass of Red was raised to his memory whilst typing this. He may be gone he will not be forgotten by me.
We hates Bagginses!

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#123 Post by handsfree » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:26 am

I don't often stray from the TRABB thread so I'm rather late in discovering that Cape is no longer with us.
I shall miss his robust, refreshing commentary. Rest in peace Cape.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#124 Post by FD2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:19 am

Likewise - I am very sorry to have missed this thread.

Cape came across as a man of strong principles who stood up for his beliefs, but reading between the lines it was obvious that there was a kind man behind the front we often saw. RIP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#125 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:09 am

You nincompoop. I miss you like a brother...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

prospector
Capt
Capt

#126 Post by prospector » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:44 am

What a brilliant choice of music, and so well played by that group, especially the soloist.

admin
Chief Engineer

#127 Post by admin » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:16 am

Thank you so very much Jim. Your contribution in this regard is so earnestly appreciated and incredibly well done. Thanks muchly.

Alison/Admin

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#128 Post by ian16th » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:27 am

admin wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:16 am
Thank you so very much Jim. Your contribution in this regard is so earnestly appreciated and incredibly well done. Thanks muchly.

Alison/Admin
+1
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#129 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:08 pm

+2. Yes, thank you Reverend. I have mentioned to Carmen that she and Mark may appreciate our small contribution to the memory of Mike's life.

OK Reverend answer this: Why is it that all the good, kind and generous people die before their time but the bad bastards live to a ripe old age? Actually, my odds are good though.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#130 Post by EA01 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:58 pm

Suspect the answer may be that 'The Good Lord works in mysterious ways" Ex-Ascot!

With a moniker "Casa Bigot" (?), and some abrasive commentary, I only knew Mike as someone who came across as somewhat ......'prickly', but I knew nothing of his contributions to others less fortunate...

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#131 Post by jimtherev » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:57 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:08 pm
... OK Reverend answer this: Why is it that all the good, kind and generous people die before their time but the bad bastards live to a ripe old age? Actually, my odds are good though.
Having achieved 82 last Sunday, this bad bastard still doesn't have an answer to that I'm afraid. Still drink, smoke (both in moderation these days, sadly), speak to strange women, (ISTR I used to do more than that) but still get up in the morning feeling optimistic.
Seriously, I'm constantly surprised by the kindness and generosity I see in so many people, quite unexpectedly, quite often. Sometimes bore patient listeners with tales of prison chaplainship: in five years of service I only met two lads who struck me as really evil. The rest seemed to be a bit sad, a bit bad - or bl**dy mad, and should have been locked up somewhere else entirely.
On t'other hand, there are quite a number of church members I arrogantly think are a waste of oxygen. But that's my take. Certainly if God doesn't let sinners into heaven I don't stand a chance. Wish me luck.

Blessings,
Jim

angels
Capt
Capt

#132 Post by angels » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:22 pm

Hi folks. Just nipping back to pay my last respects to Capetonian. What a sad story.

Many thanks to ex-Ascot for telling me of this terrible news. I met Mike once at the RAF Club Bash (any pics lying around Squadron Leader?), and because of views mentioned here, assumed it would be awkward. Wrong! What a lovely chap. But what a terrible story of his illness. How nice that people on here thought of him and his loved ones were around him at the end.

Have to dash, but sincere condolences to Mike's family.
All generalisations are false, including this one.

ribrash

#133 Post by ribrash » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:04 pm

angels wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:22 pm
Hi folks. Just nipping back to pay my last respects to Capetonian. What a sad story.

Many thanks to ex-Ascot for telling me of this terrible news. I met Mike once at the RAF Club Bash (any pics lying around Squadron Leader?), and because of views mentioned here, assumed it would be awkward. Wrong! What a lovely chap. But what a terrible story of his illness. How nice that people on here thought of him and his loved ones were around him at the end.

Have to dash, but sincere condolences to Mike's family.
Love the shirt.Can you tell me how you did it. ^:)^

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#134 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:32 am

angels wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:22 pm
I met Mike once at the RAF Club Bash (any pics lying around Squadron Leader?)
Cape:
I hate my photo appearing in any form of social media, including forums like this one. Obviously I don't use Faecesbook, Twatter, WankedIn Tossergram, etc.
Well this has already been posted on this forum and he didn't object. Also I did invite him to take the photo so he wasn't in it but he did of course want to be seen as part of the team. And, it was taken with his camera! Typical Mike. Only person missing was Angels as he was holding up the whole of London's rush hour traffic with a broken down van. He got a doggy bag. Almost exactly 3 years ago to the day. Left to Right, Caco, Mrs Woody, Capetonian, Ex-Ascot, Mrs Ex-Ascot, Woody. Happier days.
Attachments
RAF Club.jpg
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#135 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:35 am

Lest we forget.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#136 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:16 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:35 am
Lest we forget.
This week I twice found myself automatically sending him some information ref. some silliness in South Africa, as was/is my wont to do, only for it to strike me hard, that there was nobody at the end of that particular network anyway.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#137 Post by OFSO » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:22 am

I know, I know, I started to sent him a WA yesterday. Will take time.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#138 Post by Magnus » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:19 am

Given Mike's enjoyment in baiting scammers, there are probably street parties in Lagos.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#139 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:46 am

ALC passes on his condolences to Carmen and Mark.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#140 Post by probes » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:28 am

Well, really... I never met Mike in person, but the virtual-him has been very real somehow.
SO sad. SO.
I hope his guardian angel is with him. RIP