Where to retire to?

General Chit Chat
TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Where to retire to?

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:40 am

After more than half a century of living in Southsea, Portsmouth, with its unpredictable British weather, shingle beaches and Victorian pier, relocation to the Gulf state of Oman might take some adjustment.

But for Jamshid bin Abdullah al-Said the 91-year-old last sultan of Zanzibar, it was the next best thing to going home.

The man who ruled the tiny Indian Ocean archipelago until he was deposed in a bloody revolt in January 1964 finally arrived in Muscat last week. Multiple earlier requests from the sultan to be allowed to live in the Gulf state had been rejected by the government on security grounds.

But now his request to retire in Oman was granted due to his age, a family member in Muscat told the Abu Dhabi-based the National. “He always wanted to spend his last days in the country of his ancestors and now he is happy he can do that.” A government official declined to comment.

Abdullah al-Said is distantly related to the present sultan of Oman, Haitham bin Tariq al-Said, with whom he shares the same lineage of royalty.

The ex-sultan’s long and unlikely journey from the palm-fringed islands of Zanzibar via the crazy golf courses and amusement parks of Southsea to Muscat came after his short-lived reign ended in revolution.

After he was deposed, the sultan of Zanzibar was forced to swap the palm-fringed shores of his homeland for the shingle beach and Victorian pier of Southsea.

He became sultan of Zanzibar after the death of his father in July 1963. In December that year, the islands – 22 miles off the coast of Tanzania – were granted independence from Britain. Just one month later the sultan was deposed in an insurrection, and a republic was proclaimed.

He fled Zanzibar on the royal yacht as his palace was seized by rebels. After being refused permission to settle in Oman, he flew to Britain with an entourage of 61 relatives, friends and household staff.

Two weeks later, the New York Times reported that the sultan’s impecunious state obliged him to move “from his pillared London hotel in the shadow of Buckingham palace to a modest hotel in Bayswater on the unfashionable side of Hyde Park”.

In May 1964, the British government made a payment of £100,000 to the former sultan, the paper reported.

The sum allowed him to settle in a semi-detached house on a quiet street in Southsea, Hampshire, where the contrast with Zanzibar’s white powder beaches and crystal waters must have been striking and perhaps a little painful.

Over the 56 years he lived in the UK seaside resort, the sultan drew little attention. Ned Donovan, a writer who has followed the sultan’s story, said: “I couldn’t find anyone locally who knew he was there. He never spoke to the press, he just went very low key.”

These days, the 1.3 million mainly Muslim population of Zanzibar, now a semi-autonomous region of Tanzania, is ruled by President Ali Mohamed Shein.

Human rights organisations have criticised the state’s criminalisation of gay men, who face up to 25 years in prison. A recently opened museum dedicated to Queen singer Freddie Mercury, who died from an Aids-related illness in 1991, glosses over the star’s sexuality.

Mercury, whose real name was Farrokh Bulsara, was born in Stone Town, the historic quarter of Zanzibar’s capital, but his family moved to the UK in the aftermath of the 1964 revolution.

In the years that followed, thousands of Zanzibar citizens relocated to Oman – including the former sultan’s seven children and two of his siblings. Abdullah, although banned from ever returning to Zanzibar, is at least now reunited with his immediate family.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... s-in-exile

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanzibar_Revolution

An old and now ex friend nearly accidentally burned down a hotel in Zanzibar during a World Bank jolly but that is another story.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Where to retire to?

#2 Post by EA01 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:08 pm

I have never been to Zanzibar.....I always though it was too far....

Are you who you say you are?....

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:22 am

EA01 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:08 pm
I have never been to Zanzibar.....I always though it was too far....

Are you who you say you are?....
A truly pleasant experience. A band I have never heard of and should have. Zanzibar beats sitting in Bognor Regis, head full of memories, pockets full of nothing, retired, looking at daytime tele, waiting to die that's for sure.

Would the Sultan of Zanzibar have been a Sultan of swing I wonder?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by EA01 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:52 am

Whenever I hear of Zanzibar I think of 'the Gurus', they've done heaps of great stuff TGG....

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:31 am

I have a small Omani pension which I have never withdrawn from Oman. It was awarded to me personally in the early 1970s by the late Sultan and seems to be continuing to be honoured by the new Sultan. It is based at the level of a Captain in the SOAF and has been accumulating for more than four decades. I plough it all into the Muscat Securities Market and have no need for either the income or the capital to support myself.

The power of compounding is immense. A Captain's pension isn't much when you look at it in OMR monthly terms, but investing that sum every month and ploughing dividends back into the portfolio on the MSM for four and a half decades has produced a remarkable asset by any standard.

A decade or more ago I seriously considered buying a retirement home in Oman. For the winter, not the ghastly heat of summer. The reason why I deferred was because I knew that the now late Sultan was ailing and that there was a great deal of uncertainty as to who his successor would be. I thought that it would be Haitham, as turned out to be the case, but that was not at all a good racing bet.

Right now the country is still in mourning and nothing has changed, but there is now even more uncertainty as to which way the country will go, so I'm biding my time before I make any commitment to a property there. Anyway, this Covid thing **** up international travel as far ahead as the eye can see.

I bought a hilltop place at the Southern end of St Kitts. Lovely climate year-round and it has the advantage that having 'invested' more than a million in the country I can take up citizenship any time I wish. My intent was to use that place in the Omani summer and to rent it out short term in the N hemisphere winter.

St Kitts is a lovely place. The only problems are that the pot-holed roads are as bad as the worst in Scotland; and that there is some poverty in the North of the island which results in a lot of petty crime up there. My place is in a gated community with a 24x7 guard. I rented it out on short term lets for a while, but found that most renters are arseholes, so I now let it out on annually renewable semi-long-term leases to very carefully vetted tenants.

If the Jockistani Referendum had gone the wrong way, I'd have been out of here like a startled rabbit and would have a deep suntan and a Kittian passport years ago.

My options are still open.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:01 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:31 am
I have a small Omani pension which I have never withdrawn from Oman.

If the Jockistani Referendum had gone the wrong way, I'd have been out of here like a startled rabbit and would have a deep suntan and a Kittian passport years ago.

My options are still open.

Good to have options. I have never been to Oman but a sailing friend says, despite all the political instability in the region, it is a place that is easy to fall in love with. Clearly, with respect to Oman and its rulers Undried Plum, you could say...

"Soft you, a word or two before you go.
I have done the state some service, and they know ’t."

I have property in SA but have grown tired of the political situation there and the ongoing crime and the general lack of hope on all sides of the racial and political divide.

I am seriously looking at Punto del Este in Uruguay...

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/p ... 20retirees.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by EA01 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:02 am

Wow UP, sounds like a magnificent position to be in in life!!....Mrs Fliegs 7 I have wanted to visit the Carribean for probably about 10 years now...a least....was all set for May, when 'Corona' hit, and shortly thereafter I lost my job....perhaps will never make it there now...

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Woody » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:16 pm

I have property in UK but have grown tired of the political situation there and the ongoing crime and the general lack of hope on all sides of the racial and political divide.
Fixed it =)) =)) =))
When all else fails, read the instructions.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#9 Post by k3k3 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:29 pm

EA01 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:02 am
....Mrs Fliegs 7 I have wanted to visit the Carribean for probably about 10 years now...
The Netherlands Antilles are nice, and if you fly from Amsterdam it's a subsidised internal flight. The sea temp was 28°!

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by ian16th » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:53 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:29 pm
EA01 wrote:
....Mrs Fliegs 7 I have wanted to visit the Carribean for probably about 10 years now...
The Netherlands Antilles are nice, and if you fly from Amsterdam it's a subsidised internal flight. The sea temp was 28°!
Dunno about subsidises, but if you fly from mainland France to Reunion, this is also 'internal', no Duty Free!
Cynicism improves with age

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:36 pm

Woody wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:16 pm
I have property in UK but have grown tired of the political situation there and the ongoing crime and the general lack of hope on all sides of the racial and political divide.
Fixed it =)) =)) =))
As editor of all my future posts, You're hired!

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:46 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:29 pm
EA01 wrote:
I looked very carefully at Saba.

Delightful place, except everything is on a **** 45° hillside.

I saw a bloke in Dutch cop uniform walking steeply uphill and I thought that either he or I was on some seriously wacky drugs. I don't do drugs, other than Whyte&Mackay and auld Macallan so I said to mesel': I'm outtahere.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:51 pm

Woody wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:16 pm
Fixed it =)) =)) =))
Sadly true Woody. ;)))

Maybe Pringle Bay or Somerset West aren't that bad after all. ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Woody » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:31 pm

The reason we picked Somerset West is it’s well away from Cape Town , has all the amenities we need and is close to the vineyards of Stellenbosch :D

Edit- The sea is a lot warmer as well.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:36 pm

Woody wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:31 pm
The reason we picked Somerset West is it’s well away from Cape Town , has all the amenities we need and is close to the vineyards of Stellenbosch :D

Closer to the vineyards and Stellenbosch airfield. Not a bad location at all.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by AtomKraft » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:40 pm

We are going to have a look at the Black Sea coast in Bulgaria.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:03 pm

Years ago, when I was reconsidering my life I thought that Madeira offered a pleasant year-round temperature.

Of course it never happened - and it won't now.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by ian16th » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:22 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:36 pm
Woody wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:31 pm

Closer to the vineyards and Stellenbosch airfield. Not a bad location at all.
We put in an offer for a house in Somerset West, about 27 years ago.
Our offer was bettered, so we moved the money off-shore.

Still haven't worked out if it was a win or a loss.
Too many variables. We were going to sell the Joburg house and move there.
Our son wouldn't have met his now wife and life would have been very different.

One of those 'sliding doors' moments.
Cynicism improves with age

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#19 Post by larsssnowpharter » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:56 pm

Some 20 years ago, my retirement plan was to buy a place in the south of Italy as a base. Then a luxury motor home to tow something like an ASH 25e. Then tour the airfields of Europe and fly.

In order to finance this, I went to the sandpit, got paid an inordinate amount, met a beautiful Filipina girl, married, had the Sproglettes and retired to the Philippines at 60. After a few years, for various reasons, decided to return to the UK and settled on Norfolk. Affordable housing, good schools, near the sea, low crime etc.

Don't regret it at all.

However, the old dream never went away and I keep my venerable DG in Italy and have an old farmhouse in Puglia with a hectare of olives. ExA would like it. Remote and off grid. Pump water from well by old hand pump to roof tank. No electricity. Only 3 rooms habitable out of 15. A future project.....agritourismo.

We still have the house in Davao, Philippines and spend as much time there as we can. A year or so ago we bought a defunct coconut plantation on Samal Island with the intention of developing it as a small resort. One cottage now built as a 'tester'. All on hold awaiting pandemic developments.

I have a full time job now ferrying the Sproglettes to school, football training, matches, volleyball, drama and singing. Also do a little consultancy work when I can't avoid it.

It's not exactly retirement but I wouldn't have it any other way. I've been very lucky.

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#20 Post by Smeagol » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:31 pm

larsssnowpharter wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:56 pm
After a few years, for various reasons, decided to return to the UK and settled on Norfolk. Affordable housing, good schools, near the sea, low crime etc.

Don't regret it at all.
I have had a residence in Norfolk for over 4o years and whilst it has not been a bad place to live Mr S has never liked it so the plan is to move to Cornwall in the next year or so.

Horses for courses I guess.
We hates Bagginses!