Trick or Treat time again!

General Chit Chat
EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Trick or Treat time again!

#21 Post by EA01 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:35 am

Hmm....I remember doing trick or treating when I was in primary school....but had to explain it to everyone in our street

My parents have talked about Bonfire night or Guy Fawkes night...but a few accidents and an over regulated Australia stopped it before I was born!!

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by Pinky the pilot » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:27 am

My parents have talked about Bonfire night or Guy Fawkes night...but a few accidents and an over regulated Australia stopped it before I was born!!
Yers. Was finally banned here in South Australia by the Don Dunstan led Labor Government back in the early 70's from memory. X( And he was supposed to be a 'progressive.' 8-|

Was still held in the Top End (Darwin NT) in the early 80's though. No idea if that is still so, as the Top End has had Labor Governments at various times since I left the place in late 81.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:58 am

Pinky the pilot wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:27 am
Yers. Was finally banned here in South Australia by the Don Dunstan led Labor Government back in the early 70's from memory. X( And he was supposed to be a 'progressive.' 8-|

Was still held in the Top End (Darwin NT) in the early 80's though. No idea if that is still so, as the Top End has had Labor Governments at various times since I left the place in late 81.
We used to "celebrate" Guy Fawkes day in South Africa in the 60's and 70's, in the tinder dry veld which invariably used to burn and every year eyes were lost, people burned , some died, and thatched cottages burned down. I can only guess that the English loathing Calvinist Nationalist government loathed the Catholics even more than the English did because the tradition was still ingrained despite the fact that in 1899 on Guy Fawkes day, an effigy of then leader Paul Kruger, was burned by anti boer buitelanders in the Transvaal Republic. The 5th of November also marks the day during the Second Boer War, when the SS Asian sailed to South Africa carrying the 10th Royal Hussars en route to relieving the siege of Kimberley by way of Colesberg.

Tis true that in South Africa in recent times, numerous by-laws and animal protection laws are now enforced and due to this many community members choose not to celebrate Guy Fawkes for fear of frightening animals, fire hazards etc.

I loathe Guy Fawkes day coming on the day after the anniversary of the death of one of my brothers.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by Karearea » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:32 pm

TGG - I can see how the festivities of Guy Fawkes Day would jar and feel discordant so soon after a bereavement.

Must say I have very happy memories of the frisson of anticipation through the day, the sight and smell of the fireworks, eating potatoes charred in the bonfire, and hunting next morning for burnt-out rocket sticks.

I would still like to set off fireworks but have a conscience now about pets and fire-risk, I'd need to go to a beach or somewhere else safe to do it.
"And to think that it's the same dear old Moon..."

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Opsboi » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:59 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:58 am

I loathe Guy Fawkes day coming on the day after the anniversary of the death of one of my brothers.
Which is my birthday

I'll raise a glass to him next week

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by llondel » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:23 pm

Having experienced the US version of Halloween, I have to say the UK does a very pale imitation of it. Part of it is undoubtedly because parents here remember their own fun times doing Halloween and so make an effort, whereas in the UK there isn't that background. They also don't really understand the rules and conventions - if a house hasn't got decorations up then they're not participating so don't go knocking on the door.

It is really like a large, mobile street party with everyone dressing up (some are quite creative and elaborate) and having a good time. The atmosphere is very festive.

A few years ago before we bought this place, we were in a rental property which had one of those mesh security doors on the front, so we had the front door open but had that one closed. Group of kids walking up the path: "Trick or... WHOA! That's a BIG dog!" Tesla was sitting just inside the door enjoying all the activity.

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by Opsboi » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:28 pm

llondel wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:23 pm
Having experienced the US version of Halloween, I have to say the UK does a very pale imitation of it.
Yep, I suppose that's because it's a relatively new phenomenon over here

When I was a kid, Halloween simply wasn't an event

For my daughter, now 30, it was a highlight of her year

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by llondel » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:34 pm

When I was younger, the UK version appeared to be more like extortion: "Give us a treat or we'll do something bad to your property".

I do remember an old Peanuts cartoon where the trick or treat was the householder's prerogative, because while the other kids all got treats, Charlie Brown always got a rock.

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by Opsboi » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:40 pm

Opsboi wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:28 pm
llondel wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:23 pm
Having experienced the US version of Halloween, I have to say the UK does a very pale imitation of it.
Yep, I suppose that's because it's a relatively new phenomenon over here

When I was a kid, Halloween simply wasn't an event

For my daughter, now 30, it was a highlight of her year
Thinking about it, I reckon the release of ET was a pivotal factor

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:15 pm

Opsboi wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:59 pm
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:58 am

Which is my birthday

I'll raise a glass to him next week
I appreciate that and will raise a glass to you and him on the same day. :)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:36 pm

Halloween as such wasn't a feature of my childhood - there was 'Penny for the guy' which was begging for money whilst wheeling a stuffed 'guy' in a home-made wooden wheelbarrow.
The funds were seen as rewards for the quality of the guy and intended to buy fireworks (penny bangers) that would be lit and thrown at girls to scare them.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:11 am

Opsboi:
My birthday too, but over here no significance to any other aspect except that I do know of Guy Fawkes.
Best Halloweens were in my twenties working at a ski resort. :YMPARTY:
Halloween was the only major holiday that occurred during an off-season. Very much an adult holiday. Many elaborate costumes, many by normally staid individuals. :-o Main Street closed off so bar hopping was a full on street party. :-bd
Many good times: at least as best as I can remember! :ymdevil: =))

PP

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by Opsboi » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:13 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:11 am
Opsboi:
My birthday too, but over here no significance to any other aspect except that I do know of Guy Fawkes.
PP
Then I shall raise a glass to you too

Damn, you'll still be a year ahead of me...

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:26 am

Nah. I've stopped counting. Happies anyway. :YMPARTY: I shall lift glasses to you, Guy, me and anyone else I can think of. :ymdevil:
My sister and my daughter share a birthday and when she was old enough to understand, my sister told my daughter that she got to deduct a year for every one my daughter added.
It was either that or just lie! :))

PP

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by Karearea » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:19 am

There has been a small gang of costumed boys marauding boisterously up and down my street over the past hour, calling in at each house.
Would have thought they were a bit old for trick-or-treating (detestable imported practice) at ~12 or so.

The five of them racketed up to my door, rang the bell, talked loudly among themselves ("Shh shh shh - I'm sure I heard somebody inside") and rushed off again.

The evening has gone cold and rainy for them, oh dear, what a shame. :-J
"And to think that it's the same dear old Moon..."

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by Pinky the pilot » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:32 am

A sign with the words "No trick or treating please' has been placed near the front door of the Pinky residence as per recent years.

Seems to work. :-?
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:33 am

Pinky the pilot wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:32 am
A sign with the words "No trick or treating please' has been placed near the front door of the Pinky residence as per recent years.

Seems to work. :-?
Combined with the very satisfying high voltage crackle of electricity from the gleaming cables on the outer perimeter gates and walls...

Oops sorry Pinky, forgot that you live in sane civilised Australia, and not South Africa, for a moment! =))

"Ek skakel die krag aan en dan steel daardie aaklike kaffirs nie my motor nie!"
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by Pinky the pilot » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:33 am

Combined with the very satisfying high voltage crackle of electricity from the gleaming cables on the outer perimeter gates and walls...
Hmm, such a thing would have been somewhat appreciated back when I was working in another Country just to the north of Aussie. Hint; Alison worked there too.

Ag Man, you want to give me a translation of that? A pm will do if deemed necessary. :D

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:46 am

Pinky the pilot wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:33 am
Hmm, such a thing would have been somewhat appreciated back when I was working in another Country just to the north of Aussie. Hint; Alison worked there too.

Ag Man, you want to give me a translation of that? A pm will do if deemed necessary. :D
Actually said to me by the proprietor of a hotel in Sasolburg (my brother in law was working for SASOL as a chemical engineer) after I foolishly suggested I would leave my car parked on the street instead of in his electrified compound.

Translated with the offending term expurgated "I switch the power on and then those awful @~*&% blacks don't steal my car"...

I was so impressed that I used his compound while my then Welsh girlfriend looked on with horror at the deadly electrical system... both of us being careful not to touch any wires... =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ribrash

#40 Post by ribrash » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:56 pm

Pinky the pilot wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:33 am

Why not just write in English. ~X(