Word of the day...

General Chit Chat
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: Word of the day...

#21 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:34 pm

Cushty
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:57 pm

Cushty comes from the Romany word 'kushitipen' or 'kushti' and literally means 'very good'.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:07 pm

biophilic

Biophilic design is a concept used within the building industry to increase occupant connectivity to the natural environment through the use of direct nature, indirect nature, and space and place conditions. Wikipedia

TG for the Web search feature when reading the paper. It is clearly the writer showing off.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by ian16th » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:25 pm

cuddy wifter

A left handed person. Particularly a bowler.
Cynicism improves with age

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:58 pm

Dunk...or Dunking

….to dip a biscuit in a cup of tea, coffee or other liquid
….to score in basketball by shooting the ball through the basket with hands above the rim
….in anti-submarine helicopter terminology, to lower the sonar set into the oggin
….then there’s the Dunker – a machine where helicopter aircrew and others practice escaping from a ditched helicopter – a vile and evil machine for those like me who are poor swimmers and hate being underwater, especially upside down and in the dark - and in my day we had no emergency breather!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by ian16th » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:07 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:58 pm
Dunk...or Dunking

….to dip a biscuit in a cup of tea, coffee or other liquid
….to score in basketball by shooting the ball through the basket with hands above the rim
….in anti-submarine helicopter terminology, to lower the sonar set into the oggin
….then there’s the Dunker – a machine where helicopter aircrew and others practice escaping from a ditched helicopter – a vile and evil machine for those like me who are poor swimmers and hate being underwater, especially upside down and in the dark!
It is what Saffers do with their rusks!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:12 pm

C16, the things to which we were subjected by the SERE or CS sadists and NBC types.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#28 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:42 am

C16 I was a diver but I would hate to do that exercise. As PN says I am sure that many of these things were just sadistic. After a decade or so I refused to take my gas mask off in the chamber. In my latter years I just refused to go in. And I know the Regiment said it wasn't called a gas mask like they didn't like me calling bullets, bullets. Tough ***** that is what they are. Who has ever heard of a phrase, 'bite on the round'?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:17 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:42 am
C16 I was a diver but I would hate to do that exercise. As PN says I am sure that many of these things were just sadistic....
Every regular passenger on North Sea helicopters has to do the dunker as part of their offshore initiation course. We had to do it as well - I can't remember how often, maybe every 5 years - but as it wasn't a legislative requirement most times I managed to avoid it as it terrified me. Having said that, passengers who escaped from ditchings usually said the dunker had prepared them well for it. Now the bit I didn't mind was when we were still based at Gatwick and did wet dinghy drill with the hosties from BCAL....

An appropriate word of the day - Thalassophobia
The abnormal, persistent, and irrational fear of the sea or large, deep, and dark bodies of water.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:17 am

Serendipity (+nostalgia) - the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.

Sent a link, this morning, to a video of John Barry's beautiful Flying over Africa (also posted here on the music thread), to an old lady friend living here in the UK, who responded with utter delight, and tears, to tell me, that one of the scenes was filmed on what was her grandfather's farm. She also sent a photograph of her as a young girl riding a horse on the farm. I was happy to tell her that she is still as beautiful today as she was then (and meant it).
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:41 am

Serendipity (+nostalgia) - the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.

Such as when you are given a knife for a cock fight and win. 🗡️😂

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:51 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:41 am

Such as when you are given a knife for a cock fight and win. 🗡️😂
I trust that they spared that cock and now worship him as a feathered deity! Winning that fight was no "poultry" affair! =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:57 pm

Reading about Bernard and Norah Docker and the very apt word "vicissitudes" seems to be the word that seems to sum up their rise, and precipitous fall, in life, best.

A good nonexistent word associated with Norah Docker (or Lady Muck) is "hyrannical" - hysterically tyrannical...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by ian16th » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:49 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:57 pm
Reading about Bernard and Norah Docker and the very apt word "vicissitudes" seems to be the word that seems to sum up their rise, and precipitous fall, in life, best.

A good nonexistent word associated with Norah Docker (or Lady Muck) is "hyrannical" - hysterically tyrannical...
Ah! But they did create a bit of glamour to a dreary post war UK.

Who else do you know with a gold plated Daimler?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:02 pm

ian16th wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:49 pm
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:57 pm

Ah! But they did create a bit of glamour to a dreary post war UK.

Who else do you know with a gold plated Daimler?
I agree with you.

Norah Docker, particularly, fascinates me. As tasteless as her zebra and crocodile skinned Daimler's were, she had a certain energetic pizzazz and "je ne sais quoi". She was very easy on the eye, and I find that, and the fact that she was totally honest about being on the make and so outrageous in her comments about her life, extravagant and spendthrift as it was, make her forgivable too. I have been accused of having a common streak a mile wide, and Norah certainly met that criterion. ;)))

In my search for where she is buried, I found this word:

Taphophilia - is a passion for and enjoyment of cemeteries. =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:09 pm

As a young woman, she became a dance hostess at London's Café de Paris. Her male friends included the 9th Duke of Marlborough and, for many years, Clement Callingham, head of Henekeys wine and spirit merchants. She had an affair with Callingham, which resulted in an abortion, her being named in a divorce action by Callingham's wife, and then her marriage to the divorced Callingham.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:17 pm

As I look back on my life, I realize that serendipity has played a large part in where I have gone and wound up.
I now embrace the concept and routinely let go of decisions (deciding not to decide) and go with the flow.
Interesting things have resulted. :-o :)

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:43 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:17 pm
As I look back on my life, I realize that serendipity has played a large part in where I have gone and wound up.
I now embrace the concept and routinely let go of decisions (deciding not to decide) and go with the flow.

PP
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#39 Post by G~Man » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:15 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:17 pm

PP
Reminds me of the book I am currently reading: The Dice Man, by Luke Rinehart https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dice_Man
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:44 pm

How many on here would state that they definitely wouldn't have done something that they did?