Your autobiography title......?

General Chit Chat
CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Your autobiography title......?

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:25 pm

Whilst walking the dog and listening to Radio 2 earlier, they had an item which asked "What would you call your autobiography?" So what would you call yours - or have you already written it.

Mine might be a sentence from one of my first Royal Navy reports - FD2 will recall the Flimsy, a summary of the salient points of Form S.206 Officers' Confidential Report - we never saw the original report. It was called a Flimsy due to the small and thin poor quality paper it was typed on. So a first stab at my autobiography title would be :
" A Rather Scruffy Officer".

What would yours be?
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Your autobiography title......?

#2 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:04 pm

"Babelas in Bapsfontein, die eienaardige geskiedenis van 'n Suid Afrikanse boemelaar!"

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by boing » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:09 pm

I have a brief autobiography title from one of my reports, "High marks for initiative nil for tact".

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Opsboi » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:40 am

"I'll get round to writing it eventually"

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by EA01 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:27 am

I'd like it to be "Wow!, That was one helluva ride!".....but more likely to be "What went on there!?"

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by tango15 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:31 am

Well I wrote a sort of autobiography a few years ago, detailing some of the trials and tribulations of selling aluminium tubes around the world. I couldn't come up with a suitable title, but the publisher did. He called it 'Wings For Sale'.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:09 pm

tango15 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:31 am
Well I wrote a sort of autobiography a few years ago, detailing some of the trials and tribulations of selling aluminium tubes around the world. I couldn't come up with a suitable title, but the publisher did. He called it 'Wings For Sale'.
"Tubular Sells!" surely <<don't call you Shirley! Ok>>

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#8 Post by jimtherev » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:18 pm

Looked at this thread and found it surprisingly difficult to answer. "I told you I was ill" pace Milligan doesn't quite seem to fit.
I may be back.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:44 pm

From Land To Sea, Via The Sky

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Opsboi » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:30 am

jimtherev wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:18 pm
"I told you I was ill" pace Milligan
I never thought that was clever since he said it on Parkie a good 5 years earlier

A horrible man, for what it's worth

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by boing » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:09 am

Read his book "Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall (War Memoirs)" and the part where he was trapped under German 88mm fire in an exposed bunker, you may have more sympathy. PTSD had not been discovered then.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:14 am

boing wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:09 am
Read his book "Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall (War Memoirs)" and the part where he was trapped under German 88mm fire in an exposed bunker, you may have more sympathy. PTSD had not been discovered then.
Your point is well made. I suspect his issue was also exacerbated by a natural proclivity to manic depression as well. My favourite anecdote about him was when he took to his room, on the first floor of the house in London, refusing to speak his wife.
Once, when [he and first wife June] weren’t on speaking terms he locked himself in his room. Then he picked up the phone in his bedroom and sent her a telegram.

‘In those days, telegrams often meant something disastrous, so June must have thought the worst when she saw the telegraph boy. She tore it open — and the ­telegram said: “I would like a boiled egg, two slices of toast and a cup of tea. Thank you very much. I’m upstairs. Spike.” ’
His mistress Liz Cowley told that story so it "must" be true!

He did try and commit suicide on the boat back from Australia once, taking an overdose of sleeping pills. It was a serious attempt and he would have died had it not been for the doctor, he had been playing cards with earlier in the evening, dropping by to pay him his winnings, and finding him and saving his life.

I remember seeing Spike Milligan at the Baxter theatre in Rosebank in the days when British artists didn't perform in South Africa due to the Equity boycott, which he ignored, and stunned the audience by beating an effigy of PW Botha with a baseball bat, much in the way a drunken Mexican might beat a piñata, thereby making far more of an impression than the boycott had ever made.

A complex man, with a mad genius, which was probably very hard to deal with, for his loved ones.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Hydromet » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:11 pm

"Bloody Little Waster." Pretty much the last words my father said to me before he died. To be fair, he was probably right, and he didn't know he was going to have the big heart attack a couple of hours later.

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Opsboi » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:52 am

Hydromet wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:11 pm
"Bloody Little Waster." Pretty much the last words my father said to me before he died. To be fair, he was probably right, and he didn't know he was going to have the big heart attack a couple of hours later.
Wow...

Luckily my old man was the sweetest guy you could ever have met, but I have a couple of mates whose Dads were of the same cut as yours

It didn't stop them loving the old boy, but they didn't much like him

I loved mine, but better still, I really, really liked him