HRH PP - RIP

General Chit Chat
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: HRH PP - RIP

#41 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:05 pm

Yes Ian, which is why I said Lancaster and Normandy were the top.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by ian16th » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:12 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:05 pm
Is the Isle of Man part of the Duchy of Lancaster?
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:21 pm

ian16th wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:12 pm
Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:05 pm
Is the Isle of Man part of the Duchy of Lancaster?
Good question, no, but she is the Lord of Mann.
I see Wiki has PoW as DoE. Quick work. I wonder if that is right.

PS, whilst Tatler states this to be the case. As C16 said, in 1999 it was decided that it would go to Edward on his mother's death. Moot point, will PoW actually be DoE and then pass it on rather than have it absorbed onto the Crown.

1DC. I see your post too.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by 1DC » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:30 pm

The title of D of E doesn't pass to Edward until the Queen dies because the Queen is Duchess of Edinburgh and therefore it isn't available.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by ian16th » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:49 pm

1DC wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:30 pm
The title of D of E doesn't pass to Edward until the Queen dies because the Queen is Duchess of Edinburgh and therefore it isn't available.
When a Duke dies, doesn't a surviving spouse become the Dowager Dutchess?

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:21 pm

From Debrett's:
The Queen’s youngest son, Prince Edward, broke with royal tradition when he chose the title of Earl of Wessex upon his marriage in 1999. Buckingham Palace announced that the Earl of Wessex will be granted the dukedom of Edinburgh when the title reverts to The Crown (the title will only revert to The Crown on both the death of the current Duke of Edinburgh, and the succession of the Prince of Wales to the throne).
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#47 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:14 am

Of daughter, Princess Anne: “If it doesn’t fart or eat hay, she isn’t interested.”
After asking to visit the Flt. Deck on one 707 flight, the Capt. eventually suggested to him that Her Majesty might also like a visit ?

No, said P.P. she won't be interested, but if it ate hay and farted she'd be up here in a shot.

( Fact, knew the crew involved )

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by llondel » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:38 am

ian16th wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:49 pm
1DC wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:30 pm
When a Duke dies, doesn't a surviving spouse become the Dowager Dutchess?
Only if it was his title to begin with, because then it passes to his offspring. If it was the Queen's title then she's the one to pass it on. Had she gone first, he'd have been the Dowager Duke.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:57 am

BBC sets up complaints line for 'too much TV coverage' of Prince Philip's death

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/bbc- ... p-n1263711

BBC sets up complaints line for 'too much TV coverage' of Prince Philip's death
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, died at the age of 99. His death was met with a flood of tributes from across Britain and the world.

April 9, 2021, 8:31 PM MST
By Variety
LOS ANGELES — The BBC has set up a dedicated complaints page for viewers fed up with its blanket coverage of the death of Prince Philip.

"We're receiving complaints about too much TV coverage of the death of HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh," reads a statement on the BBC Complaints page, which invites disgruntled viewers to submit an email address to register a complaint.

Shortly after news of the prince's death broke at noon local time on Friday, the BBC was swift in clearing its entire schedule up to 6 p.m. Later in the day, primetime programs such as the "MasterChef" final — not to mention cult favorite "Gardeners' World" on BBC Two — were also pulled to make way for news specials and tribute programs for the 99-year-old duke.

Evening programs on the BBC, across many of its channels, included "HRH The Duke of Edinburgh Remembered" as well as two airings of "A Tribute to HRH Duke of Edinburgh," which featured interviews with Prince Charles and Princess Anne, presumably carried out shortly after his death.

On BBC Four, as of 10:45 p.m. Friday evening, there was simply a blank screen that reads "Programs on BBC Four have been suspended. Please switch to BBC One for a major news report."

Britons have not taken kindly to Friday night telly being sidelined for royal programming.

"Have just realised the BBC have pulled everything on BBC1 and 2 (including the Masterchef final), to show the EXACT same Prince Philip tribute. The exact same programme running on both channels simultaneously. That is truly bizarre," said broadcaster Maïa Dunphy.

Some said the corporation's strategy "feels like Eastern Europe 40 years ago," while others likened the Beeb to a "state propaganda channel."

Others were simply nonplussed at the absence of soaps on the Friday schedule.

ITV's primetime schedule was not far off, with specials including "Prince Philip: Fondly Remembered" and "Prince Philip: A Royal Life" alongside ongoing news coverage.

Elsewhere, although it programmed a few hours of Prince Philip coverage earlier in the evening, Channel 4 received some heat for keeping its major Friday night shows — including "Gogglebox" as well as "The Circle" final — on air.

A spokesperson for the broadcaster said on Friday evening: "As an alternative public service broadcaster Channel 4 also has a duty to offer an alternative to others and, whilst we have marked this sad news appropriately in our schedules and on All 4, we will also continue to offer viewers the majority of our usual peak time schedule including 'Gogglebox' and 'The Circle' tonight."

PP

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#50 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:31 am

Just got out the log books I flew or more often acted as safety pilot for HRH PP 75 times. He would not operate if HMQ was on board, not sure why. An outstanding pilot. He would step onto the flight deck be briefed on the sortie by the nav, leap into the seat and fly it. In the cruise he would go down the back and work. The nav would brief him on the SID then as soon as we got airborne ATC would give us direct. He would complain like hell about it. He considered it an insult that they thought he couldn't follow the procedure. We gave up explaining to him why we were allowed to skip the normal pattern. He would even come to Benson about twice a year to do training. Always flew wearing brown leather driving gloves. Probably the same he wore when driving carriages.
Attachments
HRHPP.jpg
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by om15 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:53 am

The oft derided former President Trump has posted this

The world mourns the passing of Prince Philip, a man who embodied the noble soul and proud spirit of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth.

"Melania and I send our deepest and most profound condolences to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, and to the entire Royal Family. We send our most heartfelt sympathies to the British people.

“This is an irreplaceable loss for Great Britain, and for all who hold dear our civilization.

"Prince Philip defined British dignity and grace. He personified the quiet reserve, stern fortitude, and unbending integrity of the United Kingdom.”

The former US President went on to describe the Duke’s military accolades.

Mr Trump continued: "As a young man, he served Britain honourably and courageously as a naval officer in the Second World War.

“Aboard battleships in the Mediterranean, he saw combat at sea. He then participated in the pivotal Allied invasion of Sicily in 1943.

“Like so many of his generation, in Britain’s darkest hour, he put his life on the line for God, country, and the values of freedom and self-government that forever unite America and the United Kingdom.

“For seven decades, Prince Philip brought the same sense of duty and purpose to his role as consort and husband to the Queen.

“He was admired by his fellow citizens, and respected by everyone around the world. His exceptional example of service, constancy, and patriotism will be his greatest legacy.”

Mr Trump added how he and Melania were “honoured” to visit the UK during his presidency and see “first-hand how the Monarchy epitomizes and carries on the virtues of the British people—and no one did so more than Prince Philip”.

He concluded: "As we grieve his loss, we celebrate his memory and rededicate ourselves to the values to which he devoted his extraordinary life. He will be greatly missed."

Sums it all up rather well I think.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by ian16th » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:59 am

This obit has now been put behind the paywall.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#53 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:02 pm

It would be well that some residents of California note bene, but as they are implacably opposed to Mr Trump, it is unlikely.

Rossian
Capt
Capt

#54 Post by Rossian » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:54 pm

Re #53? Are you sure it's in the right thread?? Only because I is curious.

The Ancient Mariner

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:13 pm

Prince Harry is mourning the loss of his grandfather, Prince Philip, who passed away on Friday at age 99. The Duke, who currently lives in California with Duchess Meghan Markle and their son Archie, is reportedly “really upset” about Philip's death, with a source telling Us Weekly that “Harry feels guilty for not being there to say goodbye to Prince Philip in person."
Cosmopolitan

I hope it is more than a flying visit if he does come and he spends time with Grannie too.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by llondel » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:24 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:13 pm
Prince Harry is mourning the loss of his grandfather, Prince Philip, who passed away on Friday at age 99. The Duke, who currently lives in California with Duchess Meghan Markle and their son Archie, is reportedly “really upset” about Philip's death, with a source telling Us Weekly that “Harry feels guilty for not being there to say goodbye to Prince Philip in person."
Cosmopolitan

I hope it is more than a flying visit if he does come and he spends time with Grannie too.
It would have to be a flying visit because sailing/walking would take too long.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm

Good to see squaddie humour coming to the fore in such sad times.
Breaking news: Following this afternoon's 41-gun salute, France has just announced its unconditional surrender.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by Boac » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:24 pm

Gunge confirmed coaming as PN would say

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#59 Post by EA01 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:31 am

Breaking news: Following this afternoon's 41-gun salute, France has just announced its unconditional surrender.
Ha ha ha.....love it!

And obviously given the circumstances, not celebratory at all, but enjoyable (?), maybe impressive is a better word, certainly honoured to have watched the 41 gun salute from down here on live You Tube...

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#60 Post by EA01 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:55 am

Oh, and I apologise for my ignorance but why a 41 gun salute? My neighbour, not from a Commonwealth Country, asked me today....and to be honest I did not know!