HRH PP - RIP

General Chit Chat
admin
Chief Engineer

HRH PP - RIP

#1 Post by admin » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:04 am

News reporting that Prince Philip has passed away. RIP Sir. You will be missed.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: HRH PP - RIP

#2 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:09 am

Malvernian
FO
FO

#3 Post by Malvernian » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:10 am

Just been announced on BBC

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:15 am

Oh dear. The end of an era.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by ian16th » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:20 am

RIP.
Cynicism improves with age

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Magnus » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:21 am

RIP indeed. Known affectionately hereabouts as Chooky Embra. Gave up a naval career to walk behind HMQ for 70 years. I remember seeing the villa in Corfu where he was born (Mon Repos, I think it was called) and being introduced to him in the '80s. A charming and knowledgeable man. Public life will be that bit duller without his utterings.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by tango15 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:24 am

So sad that he didn't quite make it to the century - just two months away. I was fortunate enough to meet him a few times and always found him to be very pleasant and well-briefed on his subject. RIP sir.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Pinky the pilot » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:26 am

RIP.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by EA01 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:39 am

Never met him, most certainly enjoyed some of his less than 'PC' comments, and I very much enjoyed those!....and my condolences to 'Liz', after that many years together, that must really be a hard knock,...but i guess it happens to everyone

As Ex Ascot said, end of an era.....

May the Good Lord comfort you in your time of grief Elizabeth,...

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:51 am

Forth Bridge is down.

I feel so sorry for wee Lillibet.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by OFSO » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:56 am

RIP, another giant gone from our lives. Was born to do a job and did it superbly. Respect, sir.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by EA01 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:01 pm

Some pearlers from the old boy,...

Speaking to the General Dental Council, 1960: “Dontopedalogy is the science of opening your mouth and putting your foot in it, a science which I have practised for a good many years.”

Speaking at the Scottish Women’s Institute, 1961: “British women can’t cook.”

When shown art during a trip to Ethiopia, 1965: “It looks like the kind of thing my daughter would bring back from her school art lessons.”

Speaking on American TV about the Windsor family’s finances, 1969: “We go into the red next year … I shall probably have to give up polo.”

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Watch the world's best shows with BINGE New customers get a 14 Day Free Trial

During a visit to Canada, 1969: “I declare this thing open, whatever it is.”

When asked about visiting the Soviet Union, 1969: “I would like to go to Russia very much – although the bastards murdered half my family.”

To Paraguayan dictator Alfredo Stroessner: “It’s a pleasant change to be in a country that isn’t ruled by its people.”

Speaking during an official trip to Canada, 1976: “We don’t come here for our health. We can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves.”

Accepting a gift from a woman in Kenya, 1984: “You ARE a woman, aren’t you?”

To a British student during visit to China, 1986: “If you stay here much longer, you will go home with slitty eyes.”

When asked his thoughts on Beijing during a tour of China, 1986: “Ghastly.”

During a visit to the city of Xian in China, to a group of British exchange students, 1986: “If you stay here much longer you’ll all be slitty-eyed.”

RELATED: Prince Philip ‘rudest human ever’

Asked if he would like to pat a koala, Prince Philip responded: “Oh no, I couldn’t. I might catch a ghastly disease.”
Asked if he would like to pat a koala, Prince Philip responded: “Oh no, I couldn’t. I might catch a ghastly disease.”Source:News Corp Australia

At a World Wildlife Fund meeting, 1986: “If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it.”

When asked if he would like to touch a koala while in Sydney in 1992: “Oh no, I might catch some ghastly disease.”

While chatting to a fashion writer Serena French, 1993: “You’re not wearing mink knickers, are you?”

Chatting to a British man during a visit to Budapest, 1993: “You can’t have been here that long – you haven’t got a pot belly.”

To a group of businessmen in the Cayman Islands, 1994: “Aren’t most of you descended from pirates?”

While speaking to female solicitor: “I thought it was against the law these days for a woman to solicit.”

Shouting at the Queen, from the deck of the Britannia, while she spoke to their hosts on the quay during an official visit to Belize, 1994: “Yak, yak, yak; come on get a move on.”

Of daughter, Princess Anne: “If it doesn’t fart or eat hay, she isn’t interested.”

Of his daughter, Princess Anne, he said: “If it doesn’t fart or eat hay, she isn’t interested.” Picture: Alex Livesey/Getty Images
Of his daughter, Princess Anne, he said: “If it doesn’t fart or eat hay, she isn’t interested.” Picture: Alex Livesey/Getty ImagesSource:Getty Images

In a conversation with a Scottish driving instructor, 1995: “How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test?”

Addressing German chancellor Helmut Kohl during a speech, 1997: “Reichskanzler.” (Which was actually Hitler’s title …)

While speaking to a British student who had hiked in PNG, 1998: “You managed not to get eaten then?”

While inspecting a factory in Edinburgh and spying an old-fashioned fuse box, 1999: “It looks as if it was put in by an Indian.”

After presented with a hamper of goods form the American south by the American Ambassador in London, 1999: “Where’s the Southern Comfort?”

When he asked politician Lord Taylor of Warwick, whose mum and dad are Jamaican, 1999: “And what exotic part of the world do you come from?” To which Lord Warwick replied: “Birmingham.”

During a visit to Cardiff, to children from the British Deaf Association, who were standing near a Caribbean steel band, 1999: “If you’re near that music it’s no wonder you’re deaf”.

Speaking to a group of female politicians at a Buckingham Palace party in 2000 whose name tags had ‘Ms’ on them: “Ah, so this is feminist corner then.”

Spying two robots bumping into each other at a science museum, 2000: “They’re not mating are they?”

When offered some fish by Rick Stein, 2000: “No, I would probably end up spitting it out over everybody.”

To a guest in Berlin after the Queen had just opened the new $32 million British Embassy in Berlin, 2000: “It’s a vast waste of space.”

RELATED: Royal family member Philip ‘clashed’ with

The Duke of Edinburgh said “any bloody fool can lay a wreath at the thingamy”.
The Duke of Edinburgh said “any bloody fool can lay a wreath at the thingamy”.Source:News Corp Australia

Reflecting on his role as a working royal: “Any bloody fool can lay a wreath at the thingamy.”

In a curiously prescient aside, 2000: “People think there’s a rigid class system here, but Dukes have even been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.”

To Elton John, who lived near Windsor, 2001: “Oh, it’s you that owns that ghastly car is it? We often see it when driving to Windsor Castle.”

Speaking to Aboriginal elder William Brin in Queensland, 2002: “Do you still throw spears at each other?”

Address a 14-year-old member of a Bangladeshi youth group, 2002: “So who’s on drugs here? … HE looks as if he’s on drugs.”

To the Aircraft Research Association, 2002: “If you travel as much as we do you appreciate the improvements in aircraft design of less noise and more comfort – provided you don’t travel in something called economy class, which sounds ghastly.”

The Duke of Edinburgh speaks with child, Andrew Adams, at a space travel display.
The Duke of Edinburgh speaks with child, Andrew Adams, at a space travel display.Source:News Limited

The royal told the 13-year-old he needed to lose weight if he wanted to become an astronaut.
The royal told the 13-year-old he needed to lose weight if he wanted to become an astronaut.Source:News Limited

Speaking to a 13-year-old named Andrew Adams who wanted to go into space: “You could do with losing a little bit of weight.”

While chatting to a young fashion designer at Buckingham Palace, 2009: “Well, you didn’t design your beard too well, did you? You really must try better with your beard.”

To a young female police officer wearing a bulletproof vest, 2002: “You look like a suicide bomber.”

Speaking to Susan Edwards, who is blind and wheelchair-bound and has a guide dog, 2002: “Do you know they’re now producing eating dogs for the anorexics?”

To businessman Atul Patel at a Palace reception for British Indians, 2009: “There’s a lot of your family in tonight.”

After being told that then-President Barack Obama had just met with the British, Chinese and Russian leaders: “Can you tell the difference between them?”

RELATED: Truth behind rare royal interview

After being told that then-President Barack Obama had just met with the British, Chinese and Russian leaders, Prince Philip asked: “Can you tell the difference between them?” Picture: Jack Hill – WPA Pool/Getty Images
After being told that then-President Barack Obama had just met with the British, Chinese and Russian leaders, Prince Philip asked: “Can you tell the difference between them?” Picture: Jack Hill – WPA Pool/Getty ImagesSource:Getty Images

To a 25-year-old woman wearing a dress with a zip on its front during a Jubilee event, 2012: “I would get arrested if I unzipped that dress.”

While meeting a Filipino nurse at a hospital, 2013: “The Philippines must be half empty as you’re all here running the NHS (National Health Service).”

Chatting to Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai, who was shot by the Taliban for campaigning for girls’ education, 2013: “(Children) go to school because their parents don’t want them in the house.”

During an event to mark the 50th anniversary of the Duke of Edinburgh Awards scheme, 2016: “Young people are the same as they always were. They are just as ignorant.”

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:45 pm

A good innings sir. RIP. Deepest condolences to HM.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by ian16th » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:10 pm

Cynicism improves with age

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#15 Post by Smeagol » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:31 pm

If there is an 'hereafter', I hope he gets to meet my mother who told me that she once had his autograph on a plaster cast on her leg. This was in about 1942 when they were both in the Royal Navy.
We hates Bagginses!

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by llondel » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:33 pm

tango15 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:24 am
So sad that he didn't quite make it to the century - just two months away. I was fortunate enough to meet him a few times and always found him to be very pleasant and well-briefed on his subject. RIP sir.
He probably did it on purpose to avoid all the fanfare.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:46 pm

TV is on continuous with archive footage and talking heads filling gaps. Given The Crown, The Windsors, Diana, and Ginge, etc etc there is enough of enough.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:58 pm

Only knew of him from his gaffs and driving.
Very interesting reading about his earlier years. ^:)^
Also, didn't know of his support for WWF, etc. :YMAPPLAUSE:

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:08 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:46 pm
TV is on continuous with archive footage and talking heads filling gaps. Given The Crown, The Winsors, Diana, and Ginge, etc etc there is enough of enough.
Don't try and listen to BBC Radio 3, sombre frigging music.

Enough to make the Duke of E roll in his grave, or utter some pithy comment at least! What next, Schubert's "The Gravedigger?"
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:21 pm

PHXP, as intimated, TV channels here have cleared schedules and even cancelled adverts.
What's the coverage in the US?