Irritating phrases, Americanisms and other mangling of English as she is spoken...

General Chit Chat
PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Irritating phrases, Americanisms and other mangling of English as she is spoken...

#181 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:17 pm

HOAs are also able to dictate, down to the most minute detail, how you are able to live on your own property.
Regulating what flag(s) you can fly and how tall your flagpole, height of anything visible above height of property wall. etc.
Cases in point: As this munth is Pride Month, a gay couple was notified that they would be fined for flying their Pride Flag on their property. They said "FU, have at it". Another couple told that they couldn't fly their Pride Flag got back at the HOA by lighting the exterior of their house in Rainbow lights. :YMAPPLAUSE: :))
A former neighbor bought a new build house in an HOA. They had to get rid of their travel trailer because it was visible above their wall. ~X(
Rogue HOA boards can make life miserable for homeowners who are not onboard with their agenda. Case in point: One of ex-president Trump's building's HOA was taken over by, I believe. Cohen, Kushner, et al. to get their own way and bully other condo owners.
HOAs are a pox on the earth! :-q

PP

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Irritating phrases, Americanisms and other mangling of English as she is spoken...

#182 Post by Woody » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:34 pm

Just been on YouTube, entered HOA in the search bar, there’s literally hundreds of horror stories about them :((
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#183 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:03 pm

Fliegs, I am on the Parish Council, same deal, the big problem is getting the budget line item in the first place. We needed a hedge topping - new extraordinary requirement. Fortunately we had the reserves so got it done in-year.
The secret is to slip in a line item, say paint pink stripes. Having got it through then cancel the requirement. Bingo!

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#184 Post by llondel » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:07 pm

I would avoid HOAs too, I've heard plenty of tales of petty rules and restrictions. Ironic, given that it's "the land of the free". Free provided you don't violate all the rules and regulations of the HOA that restrict what you can do with your property.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#185 Post by ian16th » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:12 pm

HOA's and Condo committee's have nothing on Retirement Villages, selling 'Life Rights'.
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#186 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:14 pm

And I bet the committee members breach the rules when they can get away with it.