General Chit Chat
TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Glider pilots will abide...

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:49 am

Derek Piggott et al in 1962...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Piggott
On 9 November 1961, flying SUMPAC (Southampton University's Man Powered Aircraft), Derek Piggott became the first person to make an officially authenticated take-off and flight in a man-powered aircraft. The longest flight was 650 yd (590 m); turns were attempted, with 80 degrees the best achieved and he made a total of 40 flights in SUMPAC.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Glider pilots will abide...

#2 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:51 am

While Albert Falderbaum survives...

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Falderbaum <<use the English translator if you are not German>>
In 1955 he was transferred from the mineral oil company to Hamburg in the aviation department. At an aerobatic demonstration in September of this year in Düsseldorf, Falderbaum had a serious accident with the Lo 100. At the end of each gliding demonstration, he flew at a height of about 10 m in the back flight, but at a safe distance from the spectators parallel past them, and then landed in front of them after a bend. During the back flight, one of the seat belts came off the central lock and hit his eye. Due to the shock reaction, the aircraft with the tailplane got ground contact. He still managed to bring the plane back up to speed; but due to the damage to the tail unit, the controllability was severely limited. In order not to get into the crowd, he tried to fly an evasive maneuver in the direction of free area. He touched the parked jet of an aerobatic squadron involved in the flight day and hit the ground with his glider. In this impact, he suffered life-threatening injuries, he was in a coma for 14 days. After several weeks of recovery, he was so prepared that he could start flying again. At most airfields in Germany, he was represented on flight days or special occasions with the Bü 133 and/or the Lo 100. At the first German Championships in aerobatics after the war in Handorf/ Dorbaum near Münster he succeeded again in 1960 to get the 1st place. However, he could only bear the associated physical strain by wearing a steel corset. The reason for this was the late consequences of the back injury during war flying.
Sadly, later in his career, he was not so lucky despite his skillful flying.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:04 am

Not gliding but ultralight historical and so Australian that I post it here here for the antipodeans here...

Lots of kangaroo hopping... =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:29 am

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by larsssnowpharter » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:20 am

Ah, the lovely Derek Piggott RIP. A real gentleman.

I met him a number of times in the gliding community including once at a talk on gliding safety, as I recall. This from the man who broke the UK gliding altitude record (some 17000 ft) in a T21 by flying inside a thunderstorm. All done with an ATC cadet on board!

He also did a lot of the stunt flying on the Blue Max including the amazing bridge scene.

Last met him when he was CFI at Benalla.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:44 am

I have had the pleasure of seeing two of the best aerobatic displays I have ever seen, flown at Farnborough, by glider pilots.The two other standout displays I saw were flown in helicopters by Dennis Kenyon at North Weald and one (Siegfried Schwarz) of the Red Bull Display team in a B0-105 at the very last Farnborough airshow.

Here is a glider display from the early 60's...

I couldn't find any decent footage of the Farnborough glider aerobatics so I proffer this instead...

Here is the BO-105, different year, different show...

I see that Chuck Aaron has copied G~Man and has gone the sandals and Dude route too! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by EA01 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:54 am

Not gliding but ultralight historical and so Australian that I post it here here for the antipodeans here...
A 'Scout' TGG?

Lance at our old field would fly them along, through and around the fire breaks of the Sunshine Coast Pine forests, a little too minimal for me....

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Boac » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:51 am

In the 70's there used to be a German 'synchro pair' that flew a synchronised display off a dual tow, finishing up with an 'opposed' landing, both simultaneously turning off the strip at display datum. Incredible skills.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by John Hill » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:09 am

I think we have one, almost two, Scouts at the museum.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by EA01 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:19 am

That Gustav Salminen video....what beautiful energy management! .... just beautiful to watch...

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by ian16th » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:14 pm

I used to work with a glider guy.

When he went off gliding at weekends, he towed his glider 'trolley' and his wife towed their caravan. They were all self contained for their trips.

When the company moved him, it took ages for him to find a suitable house.

He demanded a house with a double, but end on end, garage, with parking space for his caravan!
Cynicism improves with age

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by EA01 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:33 pm

....company should not have moved him....

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:36 pm

Having about 1500 hours on the Bo-105 it was interesting to look at the instrument panel during that display. The bottom left instrument on the full panel shots is the Mast Moment Indicator. Usually used when doing sloping ground landings, it shows the strain on the rigid rotorhead. It remained firmly in the Green whenever I could make it out - apart from a couple of momentary excursions into the Yellow, the one during his bow recovery at the end of the display approached the maximum end of the Yellow. A large red light comes on if you go into the Red sector - not that I've ever seen it of course :ymblushing: . Helicopter aerobatic displays are ugly by nature IMO.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org