Wokeness or wokery

General Chit Chat
FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Wokeness or wokery

#1 Post by FD2 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:09 am

A new thread to give us all a laugh in these troubled times. Please contribute examples of 'Wokery' that have caught your eye! Here's one to kick off:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/0 ... eo-juliet/

Globe theatre issues suicide trigger warning on Romeo and Juliet

Actors playing Shakepeare's star-crossed lovers do not really die at the end of the play, audiences are told in mental health guide

Romeo and Juliet audiences have been given an entire page of warnings about suicide, fake blood and stage fighting for a new prodution at Shakespeare’s Globe.

The double suicide of the star-crossed lovers has been deemed a mental health issue in a guide reminding viewers that the actors playing Romeo and Juliet do not really die at the end of the play.

Theatregoers have been warned about “moments of violence” in the 400-year-old tragedy featuring duels between the rival Montagues and Capulets, and cautioned about the presence of fake blood on stage.

A full page of warnings has been issued in a guide to the new Globe production, and audience members are directed to the Samaritans if they have been “affected by any of the issues raised in this production of Romeo and Juliet”.

An online programme states: “This production contains depictions of suicide, moments of violence and references to drug use.

“It contains gunshot sound effects and the use of stage blood.

“If you have any questions or concerns about these elements, please contact our Box Office team for further information about the production.”

Audiences warned: ‘This is not real’

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Wokeness or wokery

#2 Post by Opsboi » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:13 am

Oh God, here comes a ***** storm

It's just the way things are today

I'm not quite as fully matured as you, FD2, but honestly, if you don't want an early end from apoplexy, stop reading the Telegraph and burn any Daily Mail you see

Unlike lots of Oppies, I live here in the UK and funnily enough find adapting to the times, mores and intermingling really quite stimulating

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by llondel » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:21 am

In other news, 'Elf'n'Safety has required Juliet to wear a harness while on the balcony to protect against accidentally falling off.

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Opsboi » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:35 am

Ah, well - I tried

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by ricardian » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:34 am

Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by FD2 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:43 am

I think that production of Titus Andronicus might have been a trifle more gruesome than Romeo and Juliet! :-o

No apoplexy Opsboi - I find most of it very funny - it's good to have something to laugh at these days and this woke stupidity provides plenty of it.

Let's face it there's not much of it on TV and radio - usually just unfunny scripts and 'comedians' who think swearing makes an unfunny joke funny.

Mrs FD2 got me to watch an old episode of Downton Abbey with her the other night - I haven't laughed so much for ages - and that was at the 'serious' parts of it. I don't think I'll be asked to share a viewing again.

There seems to be some agitation amongst the woke warriors to ban programmes such as 'Allo 'allo, 'Are you being served', 'It ain't 'alf hot Mum' etc in case they trigger youngsters to dash for their comfort blankies.

Yes- society changes but this is not teaching the dear wokelings any resilience. It's so pleasant to see other youngsters getting on and tackling life's really difficult problems isn't it? :YMAPPLAUSE:

prospector
Capt
Capt

#7 Post by prospector » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:43 am

Hope no one can find a reason to ban "Last of the summer wine", been providing a few chuckles on it's latest rerun.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by OFSO » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:02 am

So it's unlikely that the BBC will reshow "Till Death us do Part" then...

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:12 am

Opsboi wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:35 am
Ah, well - I tried
"I can't believe it"

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Opsboi » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:57 am

FD2 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:43 am

No apoplexy Opsboi - I find most of it very funny - it's good to have something to laugh at these days and this woke stupidity provides plenty of it.
Fair dos

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by FD2 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:07 pm

Next one:

'Kid's would be horrified to see Peppa' Pig's throat cut for a sandwich': Edinburgh cafe is slammed for using much-loved children's cartoon character to sell a bacon roll

Angry parents and vegan activists have slammed Gordon Street Coffee in Edinburgh for using sketches of Peppa Pig to sell bacon sandwiches
Used a cartoon cow, Ermintrude, from The Magic Roundabout to advertise beef
Parents said it 'upset children' while vegans complained it was 'distasteful'

What? Bacon comes from pigs? OMG! That's just terrible! Where's my security blankie? :ymdevil:

I can't see evidence of throat cutting halal practices on that board - maybe it was on the other side and just too awful to post on a grown up's (sort of) newspaper. Our kids loved their animals and animal books, comics, films etc but were never in doubt about where the Sunday roast came from.

It comes as a new survey revealed one in five children have no idea that steak, sausages and ham are meat.

The research conducted by vegan brand Meatless Farm of 1,000 children aged four to 16 examined how familiar kids are with knowing where their party food comes from with the summer holidays in full swing and as reducing meat consumption comes more into the spotlight.

Despite pepperoni pizza being a popular choice for children, a third don't know it contains meat, one fifth think sausage rolls and nuggets have no meat in them whilst two in five think pâté is meat-free.

Good pawky Scottish humour! https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food ... -roll.html

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#12 Post by bob2s » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:54 am

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:52 am

What?

Next you'll be telling me that Big Macs contain meat.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by OFSO » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:59 am

They do?

What on earth is a non-binary unicorn...

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by OFSO » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:26 am

Lady vicar on BBC Sunday service this morrning said we must all 'love' LGBT (or whatever) people. What a load of crap. Treat with respect, as equals, as every other person, of course! But love? As insulting as suggesting negros are in some way special and should be treated as such. Normal human beings no better or worse than you and me.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:01 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:52 am
What?

Next you'll be telling me that Big Macs contain meat.
..and IKEA furniture contains wood.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:05 am

As Tony Blair is as honest as the day is......

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Pinky the pilot » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:20 am

It comes as a new survey revealed one in five children have no idea that steak, sausages and ham are meat.
Quite a number of years ago the Magazine of the Sporting Shooters Association of Australia (The SSAA) published a few letters received from some virulent anti shooter/hunter etc etc people just to show what the Shooting fraternity are up against, and one particular letter made me scartch my head in amazement.

After the usual rant against shooting, and hunting in particular, the letter stated that.....'you should not shoot animals for meat but go to the Supermarket and buy the meat, 'where it was made and no animals were harmed in the process....'

The SSAA stated that the original letter in question was held on file and could be produced upon request to prove its authenticity. No idea if that is still the case though.

I also recall that a survey was done amongst some City Schoolchildren, once again quite some time ago, as to their knowlege as to where their food came from.

When asked where milk came from, a large number of kids said "The Supermarket."
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Hydromet » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:05 pm

When we lived in the country on a couple of acres we always had a steer on agistment from the previous owner. The daughters would name them, tame them, cuddle them, then happily wave them off to the abbatoirs and wait for the next one. (Mind you, one of them was named 'Macdonald'.)

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:12 pm

When my children were very young we lived in a small rural village in Bedfordshire.
We were friends with one of the farmers in the village - who had children the same age as ours.
One day their young son came to our house to play.
We had a large garden - though not as large as their farm.
Having explored the garden, the youngster asked "Where's your cow?"
"We don't have a cow."
"Where do you get your milk?"
"From Mr Wooding." - our milkman.
"Does he have a cow?"
"No."
"Then where does he get the milk from?"
"It is delivered each day by a truck from the dairy . . . "