G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#2361 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:22 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:12 pm
BTW what is a manual reversing lock?
A 'simple' trailer hitch incorporates an over-run brake, so, reversing simply actuates the trailer brakes.
To avoid this, a manual latch can prevent the brake application.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2362 Post by ricardian » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:25 pm

llondel wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:11 pm
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:25 am
Used to hate reversing our boat trailer down the jetty on Amorgos. Just had to go into the village to drop off rubbish. Sunday, everyone around. You would think that we were Royalty. All waving to us. Kids running around the car. Didn't flatten many.
/my parents bought a trailer tent many years ago. They were looking for a driving instructor who could give them a session on how to manoeuvre it so I mentioned it to a couple of instructors at the amateur radio club I used to attend and one said he could do it. I gave them his details and they had a successful session in the local supermarket car park one morning (I think he even did the proper thing and asked the store manager for permission first).
I only ever did one round trip with a trailer, including having to reverse it, which I managed well enough.
Returned from Akrotiri in 1967, posted to 38 Gp at RAF Tangmere. Almost immediately detached to 604 Forward Control Section, 24 (Air Portable) Brigade. Tiny detachment, 1 FltLt, 1 Cpl (me), 1 SAC. On arrival boss asked two questions "Do you drive? Have you a bank account?"
Answer was "No" to both. Great boss - down to local Lloyds Bank, account sorted within 24 hours. Driving course at RAF St Athan within the month. Then had the army MT guys teach me how to reverse a LWB Land Rover & trailer into a tight space. Then had to go to RAF Tangmere to pass their trailer test which was reversing LWB Land Rover & trailer up an inclined plane set up to imitate reversing into a C130 or similar aircraft. Took a couple of days but at the end I could drive up with a fully (over)loaded LWB Landrover & trailer, slap the reversing link on the trailer and have the LWB & trailer up on the top of the ramp within 30 seconds. Great confidence giver!
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2363 Post by OFSO » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:51 am

Morning all. Wind howling around the house yet again and radar shows heavy rain just south of us so took washing in. Alerts this week for thunderstorms, wind, rain and snow. Far mountains already have a layer. Update: now pouring. Brought rest of the washing in off the line.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#2364 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:12 am

Morning folks, another miserable day. Thunderstorms around but just spitting with rain. Trying to get the lawns cut before they get wet. Then we will have to start the generator to clean the pool and pump water into the tank. That is a bit of a Royal 'we' he is going to do it when he has finished the lawns. I can't imagine moving back to the UK and having to do things myself. Who would whiten my pith helmet and polish my swagger stick?

My father went on a day course to reverse caravans. I used to be OK with the boat but tried reversing our trailer here recently and it all went horribly wrong. Mainly I think because of the limited space :-?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2365 Post by EA01 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:23 am

Back when I did the Spring turf reno in September I used the nursery's complimentary trailer to haul a meter of mixed sand / soil to here. It required some reversing about, seemed to come back fairly quickly to me, no real problem.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2366 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:40 am

Ricardian, what do you remember about your Boss? We had a great copilot on the sqn, one way or the other he didn't get a captaincy on the Vulcan, aka 4 engined trainer, and he was posted to a FAC job.
He thoroughly enjoyed the independence. Fair hair IIRC.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2367 Post by Boac » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:02 am

Vulcan co-pilot to FAC ground tour as F/L? Unusual.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2368 Post by Wodrick » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:28 am

Morning all,
14c guess an unattainable 20c.
Scattered. Guess (95%) thunderstorms for this afternoon/evening.

Due various factors interfeerin I still have a boot load of wood to empty.

Then Provisions.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#2369 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:47 am

Miss Botswana is off to the Miss World competition. Me not wasting any money at the bookies on this one. Those thighs could crack a coconut.

Edit, just asked our housekeeper and gardener they do not think that she is attractive either.
Attachments
Miss Botswana.jpg
Miss Botswana.jpg (53.19 KiB) Viewed 461 times
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2370 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:56 am

Boac wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:02 am
Vulcan co-pilot to FAC ground tour as F/L? Unusual.
Not really, 5 1/2 years to flt lt. Quite possibly acting rank even though most posts were FOFL ones a few 'command' ones were FL.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2371 Post by Boac » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:03 am

No, very unusual! Normal route 'out' of an aircraft you cannot/do not want to operate is either CFS or Flying Truss Command or PVR. What happened to this guy?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#2372 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:27 am

Boac wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:03 am
No, very unusual! Normal route 'out' of an aircraft you cannot/do not want to operate is either CFS or Flying Truss Command or PVR. What happened to this guy?
What I never understood as a pilot PVRing getting ground duties. A scribbly kept his job not sent to sweep the hangar floor. Why? I got into a ***** job for 9 months once but had a friend in high places. Either that or be a Free Mason. A guy was promoted above me because he did the funny hand shake. It was sorted out in the end thanks to my 'Nav' boss. Great guy, now owns a vineyard in ffrog land.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2373 Post by Boac » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:30 am

I have always assumed that was to 'deter' the PVR'ers?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#2374 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:47 am

Boac wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:30 am
I have always assumed that was to 'deter' the PVR'ers?
Yes but how do you deter a scribbly? I mean, come on, his/her training with a pencil was at least 6 weeks.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2375 Post by EA01 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:15 am

I believe I completed the 'Communication' module today...took several days....unbelievable.

Commenced 'Working with Diverse People' module tonight...it includes gems such as "In the following scenario (links to a video) List all the ways Frank offends Omar. Never list all the ways Omar offends Frank.! Lefty 'wokeism' wankers are well and truly at the forefront in academia aren't they!?, Just waiting to tell you how bad you are. ...

Or this, answer 'True' or 'False' Aboriginal members are grossly (their adjective, not mine) over represented in the criminal justice system, I know the answer is true, without having to refer to the study guide text, I know that is what they want to hear. But there is no provision to expand upon that answer and dutifully note that that is because they grossly commit more crime. Oh no, would that be my culturally insensitive bias shining through, or would it be stating an actual fact?

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2376 Post by om15 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:44 pm

Instructed to garden this morning, I vaguely slashed about chopping stuff in a random manner and took the debris to the skip, hopefully high winds will disperse the bits I didn't pick up. Quick lunch then a slow chug into Wiltshire on the Himalayan, still some lovely autumn colour around.
We have just come to the end of this years spuds, I shall have to increase production next year.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2377 Post by Boac » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:26 pm

ex-A wrote:Yes but how do you deter a scribbly?
Take away his pencils?

Mole
FO
FO

#2378 Post by Mole » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:01 pm

Was your nav boss Ex-A the one who shared his name with a herb?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2379 Post by Boac » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:21 pm

Basil?

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2380 Post by ricardian » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:56 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:40 am
Ricardian, what do you remember about your Boss? We had a great copilot on the sqn, one way or the other he didn't get a captaincy on the Vulcan, aka 4 engined trainer, and he was posted to a FAC job.
He thoroughly enjoyed the independence. Fair hair IIRC.
PN check your PMs
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER