The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

General Chit Chat
Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#2421 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:43 am

An early start for the day with a visit from a Fairy flying over ricardian's land. A laundry load is up for drying if the sun stays around long enough.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#2422 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:58 am

Morning folks no snow or mountains here but we are at 3,000'. Nice day but getting breezy. We had solar power going in at 06.30. Just had two invoices for our 9 night Christmas holiday. First one was for $65,000 which I was told to disregard. Second was the same. She has got into a muddle with her spread sheets. It is 65,000 BWP. In the middle of it all I think that there is a USD conversion which is a ludicrous exchange rate. We will pay in BWP through our UK bank. We get great discounts for last minute bookings at the luxury camps. Some camps are $2,000 a night per person sharing not including flights into the Delta. What is worth $2,000 a night? It is luxury and everything is included but it is outrageous. People pay it though.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2423 Post by Ibbie » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:48 am

Morning all. It's Art for Art's Sake Day again.

Only 8c but a clear day.

When I passed through Portchester on the train the other day, the control towers on one of them big carriers was quite visible in Portsmouth.

Neighbour, who's daughter is German and lives there, is coming here for Christmas and New Year, as she thinks Germany will have a Festive lockdown.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2424 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:00 am

ExA, simple logic, if you don't want, don't ask, if you don't ask you don't get.

At the big mega carbon burn in Cornwall in June, parts of Cornwall were simply shut. One aspiring home owner offered a price of £10,000 per night.

Other locals were outraged, probably as they hadn't thought to do it too. I don't know if he actually had any takers.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2425 Post by handsfree » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:11 am

A beautiful day here but exceedingly refreshing out there. +1°C wind from the NW.
At some point I may stick my nose out there and rake up the last of the leaves.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2426 Post by Wodrick » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:16 am

Good Morning Everybody,
Crystal. 11c from a low of 9c.
The wind seems to have gone.

Happy Thanksgiving when you lot get up.

I'm going to try changing the colour of a pair of shoes today, I am at a loss to know why I bought them.
They are supposed to be brown but could pass as Yellow🤮

Shop for cleaning materials first.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2427 Post by Pinky the pilot » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:50 am

35mm of rain at the Pinky household yesterday. 23mm of it in half a hour. Some minor flooding damage around the town.

The airfield which is only 5 minutes drive away received over 40mm. Some places around town reported over 50mm.

Bureau of Met now forecasting a cooler wetter Summer than usual. :-? Most interesting as only about six months ago they said that this Summer will be hotter and dryer than normal. :-o

I have heard more than a few mutterings from some along the lines of '...if they can't get it right for a short forecasting period then why the (expletive deleted) should we believe anything they say about what will happen in 20 or so years???'
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2428 Post by OFSO » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:37 am

Not forecast but Mr Sun has been peeking out between the Cloud Sisters and putting a few whats-its into my solar lamps all in a row. Not a luxury here with nightime ELB trips during thunderstorms.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#2429 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:57 am

Yes of course Wodders. Always used to go to Washington DC this weekend with a hand picked crew and wives. Coincides with my birthday and the trees down the Mall are fantastic in their Autumn 'colors'.

Getting a bit warm here. FBMN 251000Z 03014KT CAVOK 34/11 Q1012
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2430 Post by handsfree » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:28 am

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#2431 Post by limeygal » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:41 am

Morning all. Weather very pleasant at the moment. Thanksgiving is just another meal to me. Our usual dinner pals who usually host couldn't be arsed this year, so they are off to Miami to visit grandkids. We are going to our favourite Italian. They are doing a turkey dinner Italian style. I will be having my usual gnocchi with chicken and mushrooms. We are the only people on our street who are at home. Everyone else has joined in the madness that is Thanksgiving travel. Most seem to spend the holiday stuck in airports because of delays and bad weather.

I have been busy practicing my demonstration which I will be presenting at two of the local libraries in a couple of weeks. I hate public speaking, so this is way outside my comfort zone. I don't know what I was thinking. I am showing the locals how to make https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kokedama It's really easy, so as long as I can keep my sh*t together, I can do this. :(

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#2432 Post by Smeagol » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:04 pm

Returned home after golf this morning. Think I will stop playing for a while as my game has 'fallen off a cliff', iron shots, fairway woods and chips have become totally unpredictable. May take up tiddlywinks or even jigsaw puzzles!
We hates Bagginses!

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2433 Post by ricardian » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:15 pm

KIDS THESE DAYS WOULD LAUGH AT THIS, BUT IT'S SO TRUE…..
When I grew up I walked to school and our Dinner time was at a regular time, Sunday’s was a roast, simple as that!
Eating out was not heard of, we only had a take away on special occasions, only received a present on birthdays and at Christmas. None of this Halloween, Easter and congratulations you have a pulse day 🙄.
Fast food was fish and chips and having a bottle of panda pop from the shop was a real treat.
You took your school clothes off as soon as you got home and put on your 'playing out' clothes. - children looked like children, we didn't pout, wear makeup or have anxiety. There was no taking or picking you up in the car, you walked or rode your bike!
Our house phone had a cord attached, so there was no such things as private conversations or mobile phones! Ours was out in the hall.
We didn’t have Now TV, Sky or Netflix, we had only 3 channels to watch. Channel 4 and 5 was an exciting addition! 😁 we had to watch all of the adverts unless you switched to BBC.
We played Army, British Bull Dog, Kerby, Hide & Seek, knock or door run, Tag, Football, climbed trees, made mud pies, daisy chains, rose perfume 😂😂 never smelt brill and Rode Bikes.
Everyone could play ball period! We used tops for goalposts and even made a ball out of paper if we needed to. A wheelie and bunnyhop on your bike was a standard skill and we used cartons in tyres so it sounded like a motorbike.
Staying in the house was a PUNISHMENT and the only thing we knew about "bored" was --- "You better find something to do, before I find it for you!"
We ate what mum made for our Dinner. or we ate nothing at all. If we rushed our Dinner we weren't allowed to go back out and if we didn't eat it, we weren't allowed back out either 😅
Bottled water was not a thing; we drank from the tap.
We had scraps, some we lost, some we won but we always had a go back.... Or we got another one when we got home 😂
We watched cartoons on Saturday mornings, and rode our bikes for hours and ran around.
We weren't AFRAID OF ANYTHING. We played till dark... street lights were our alarm.
If someone had a fight, that's what it was and we were friends again a week later, if not SOONER.
We watched our MOUTHS around our elders because ALL of our aunts, uncles, grandpas, grandmas, AND our parents' best friends were all extensions of our PARENTS and you didn't want them telling your parents if you misbehaved! Or they would give you something to cry about. Everyone had respect.
I did my research by borrowing books from the library. Internet was non existent and no Google! 😮
We saw toys on adverts and had to wait until 'santa' came before we expected. None of the amazon same day crap🤔
These were the good days. So many kids today will never know how it feels to be a real kid 😁 I loved my childhood and all the mates I hung around with
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2434 Post by handsfree » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:35 pm

Redders
Was that you I saw earlier passing abeam EMA at 43,000' out of Farnborough enroute to KEF.
Only just finished taxying at KEF now 16:20.
If so I did wave but you obviously didn't see me. Actually I could only just see the aircraft but the
chemtrails were a giveaway.

Perishing here. Mrs HF is off to her Bookclub later so I shall pop to the local to speak unto the other
village idiots for an hour or two and then it will be sitting down in front of the log burner, glass of the Irish in hand,
and see how many trees I can burn.

Limeygal, you could do the standard thing and imagine your audience naked but I don't suppose throwing up would help
your presentation style very much. :ymsick:

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2435 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:52 pm

Ricardian, 3 channels, lucky if you even had a TV. 15 minutes warm up and 15 minutes before restarting it if you switched it off.

Went on, went nowhere, did nothing, saw no one

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2436 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:03 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:16 am

Happy Thanksgiving when you lot get up.
Just another day here.
No feast, as I didn't like turkey even when I did eat meat.
Many of the other dishes are on my doctors' no-no list.
Most shops closed and no car to get to any that are open.
Car died Tuesday evening and towed to shop. They can't look at it til at least Monday as they were swamped, short a tech, plus holiday weekend.
Chores, reading, and maybe catch up on a movie or two as there is only holiday crap on TV here.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2437 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:18 pm

Is Mrs. Claus OK with this? :-?
Is she out or do they have an open marriage? :-?

Santa Claus gets a boyfriend in Norwegian Christmas commercial
The four-minute ad titled “When Harry met Santa” has been produced to mark 50 years since the decriminalization of homosexuality in Norway.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-new ... l-rcna6734

Norway’s 375-year-old postal service, Posten Norge, this week has released a festive commercial ahead of the holiday season with Santa Claus getting a boyfriend.

The popular image of Mrs. Claus helping out at the North Pole has been dropped to show a more inclusive perspective this year.

The four-minute clip titled "When Harry met Santa" — a light-hearted reference to the 1989 movie "When Harry Met Sally" — has well-known Scandinavian actors Johan Ehn and Terje Stromdahl, respectively, playing the lead roles.

The couple meet when Harry spots Father Christmas delivering presents to his home. They gaze across to each other before Santa disappears up the chimney. The clip continues to show the annual meetings between the pair as Santa delivers more gifts. Before each fleeting visit Harry carefully selects his outfits and sprays himself with cologne.

Eventually Harry is seen writing a letter to Santa saying, “All I want for Christmas is you.” In the final scene, the couple kiss in a loving embrace.

The ad has been produced to mark 50 years since the decriminalization of homosexuality in Norway. The country has some of Europe’s most progressive LGBTQ legislation, with the Gay Travel Index consistently ranking Norway as one of the most gay-friendly places in the world. Civil partnerships have been legal since 1993 and LGBTQ people able to serve openly in the military since 1979.

The clip has quickly garnered international attention with Canadian Member of Parliament, Randall Garrison, tweeting he was breaking his “no Christmas before December rule” to thank Norwegian Post for their “strong and moving message of inclusion.” The ad on YouTube has been viewed more than 600,000 times in just three days.

Norwegian Post tell NBC News their aim was to “show love has no limits” and reaction within Norway so far has been “overwhelming.” No decision has yet been made on if there will be a follow up to Santa’s love story next year.

PP

reddo
Capt
Capt

#2438 Post by reddo » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:53 pm

It's been snowing in Whistler and the mountain is open for snow sports. Yay.
Meanwhile, I took advantage of the sunshine and trained outside and then went for a bike ride. Chilly but fun.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2439 Post by OFSO » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:55 pm

Ricardian, thank you so much for #2433. Made me feel so sorry for modern children. Mrs OFSO also extends her thanks and said you really described her childhood.

We know children today with psychological problems. No wonder.

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#2440 Post by bob2s » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:17 pm

Re Ricardian,every parent wants to give their children a better life than what they had,it's a shame though that we seem to have carried it too far.What say you.