The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

General Chit Chat
1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#2441 Post by 1DC » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:04 pm

How true Ricardian,they were such good times and I am sure that we had far less problems and things to worry about than the kids of today!

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#2442 Post by k3k3 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:11 pm

Ex-A's

Botswana, along with five other southern African countries will be on the UK Covid Red List from Friday morning.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2443 Post by ricardian » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:12 am

bob2s wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:17 pm
Re Ricardian,every parent wants to give their children a better life than what they had,it's a shame though that we seem to have carried it too far.What say you.
I was brought up by my maternal grandparents (it's a long story!) who were born in the Victorian era. No books in the house apart from an ancient family Bible and when I started getting Sunday School prizes my gran complained that they would soon have to put up a bookshelf for my books. We did get a TV in the mid 1950s but I spent most of my time outside. I did pass the 11+ and went to grammar school; alas, I had no concept of education, college or university so I left in 1959 with 3 "O" levels and if I hadn't joined the RAF Boy Entrant scheme in 1959 I'd probably have ended up as a labourer.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2444 Post by llondel » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:21 am

George Jetson (from the cartoon series) was apparently conceived today.

JimR
ATPL
ATPL

#2445 Post by JimR » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:45 am

Santa Claus... boyfriend. I have accepted that some people are different; even some friends with whom I have no problem because they are discreet. However, to me that advert is tasteless.

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#2446 Post by bob2s » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:06 am

We are on the end of an electricity power line run,every time there is a bit of a blow it seems to blow down tree branches onto the line creating a return to darkness.Happened a couple of hours ago,so out to start the standby gen only to find the extension lead that connects the gen to the house all tangled up,after much muttering,cursing and generally taking the Lord's name in vain it was connected.Start gen and we have light,minutes later splutter,splutter gen stops,out of fuel.Once again much muttering etc.and after an interval, sound of gen fills the air.
Son is away and rings to ask if I will pick the grandson up from the train station.Ok no probs says I,just tell me where the key to unlock the front gate is,good question says he,so after a 20 minute interval the key is located and the electric gate is now manual.Back inside to grab my car keys only to be blinded by the flickering of light and motor noises as the power was restored,all to the wail of me shouting "why me Lord, why me".

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2447 Post by OFSO » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:54 am

Morning, all. No thunderstorms last night and no ELB trips. Elderly visitor cat exceptionally allowed to sleep indoors as it was pouring last night. Must not get used to it as we go away in two weeks.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2448 Post by handsfree » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:01 am

bob2s, some people are just born lucky I guess :D

Raining quite heavily at present but warmer at 5°C. Forecast is pretty lousy.
Showers, rain, heavy rain and wind gusting at 40 kts. O me miserum !!

All is not lost though. Trip into Derby for a shufty about and some essential shopping followed
by lunch with a snifter or two.

AND IT'S FRIDAY, LIBERATION DAY, for some anyway.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2449 Post by Ibbie » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:05 am

Morning folks. Only 9c but clear and blue above. They think it may get as high as 16c today.

Mrs IB has requested ordered that the implements for the wood burner are brought from the garage with wood for burning to provide heat. Usually make it to December before lighting the fire.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2450 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:12 am

1DC wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:04 pm
How true Ricardian,they were such good times and I am sure that we had far less problems and things to worry about than the kids of today!
I think the lack of worry was lack of knowledge. Instead of the Internet we had the bike shed. I do remember the lecture in the early 50s being told not to accept acid drops from a man outside the school.

Put me off acid drops for life. I never thought it might have been a specific man actually outside our school.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2451 Post by OFSO » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:17 am

Interesting that. I can remember my mum telling me to beware of going with strangers. Pedophiles are nothing new.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2452 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:29 am

Ricardian, today's children seem to know all the education stages from the off. I think our generation was embarking on a system that was novel to our parents.

My father went to the HES - the Higher Elementary School - in Birkenhead with its name proudly set in stone, a rock of ages. There were several grammar schools at the age of 14 he joined the merchant navy. My mother was 6 when she went to Eire and about 14 when she went to a senior school in Luxembourg. University existed but you had to be very clever and wealthy to go there. No one knew anyone who did; it was the talk of the town when a man from the council estate behind us won a scholarship.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#2453 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:43 am

Good morning folks. Yes indeed we are back on the red list for the UK. Looking less likely for a return to Amorgos next year. A very good friend's daughter from here has a flight to the UK on Tuesday. I have been saying for months it was a stupid plan. They were also planning to go via Austria which had to be changed last week when they went into lock down. At the moment if not essential, do not travel. We are in the middle of the bush with very little contact with people so fairly calm.

Windy and overcast. Manageress from safari camp is due around for a beer with her little brat who will try to destroy everything. She needs some advice. The agency (who are useless) that they were ordered to use by their company for their residency has screwed up, didn't include their children. They have been fined by immigration which of course they can't afford. I would like to step in but with our residency renewal coming up we have to be careful.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2454 Post by EA01 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:09 am

Pedophiles are nothing new.
...One wonders how long before they are demanding their 'rights' too?

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2455 Post by Wodrick » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:21 am

Good Morning All,
12c now from an overnight low of 8c.
Crystal, cloudless and million mile viz.

Unusually, like *Ibbie* we manage to hold out until December but it has been overnight cold and we have been burning a week.

Visiting Doctor shortly, a new one my old being long term sick, blood test results which I don't think show anything resulting from a change of medication.
Might ask to go back on the old stuff as it costs circa 6€ the new prescription retails at 102€ per month.
Don't pay that as a pensioner of course but it costs somebody somewhere.

Then the Scotch hunt, Scotch is getting scarce bloody Brexit, and I need Gluten free.
I know the distillation process makes spirits GF but some of the colouring agents added post distillation are not.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2456 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:27 am

Heavy snow half an hour ago for about 10 minutes as the front whistled through. Now sunny but 3C and a 40mph north westerly is in place. Wind chill -3C. Forecasting 54mph wind this afternoon with snow showers - not as bad as some, ricardian and Rossian will have worse - gusting 59 and 47 at Kirkwall and Lossie respectively at the moment and due to be worse for them, EGPA going for 60kt gusts from 1000. The gardener has turned up - not sure what he's going to achieve today in these conditions....
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

reddo
Capt
Capt

#2457 Post by reddo » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:03 am

Definitely a different day weather wise from yesterday. Yesterday was sunny and chilly. Today, cloudy, chilly with rain/sleet squalls. Delightful....

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#2458 Post by k3k3 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:23 am

EA01 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:09 am
Pedophiles are nothing new.
...One wonders how long before they are demanding their 'rights' too?
The nonces tried their best in the seventies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paedophil ... n_Exchange

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#2459 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:07 pm

OK, I confess, I concocted up this new Covid variant in our garden shed. Neat bit of work.

Bloody awful weather. Thunder storm around, blowing a gale. May have to have lunch inside which is very rare.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2460 Post by ricardian » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:11 pm

Relatively peaceful night weatherwise. However, things changed at about 10am. Strong winds and power cut, fortunately power restored within 10 minutes. All ferries cancelled for the day. Flights from Edinburgh and from Inverness to Kirkwall circled Kirkwall for a bit before heading back. Local flights in Britten-Norman Islanders were unaffected.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER