Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#3861 Post by tango15 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:38 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:29 am
Boac wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:17 am
in #3854 ex-A wrote:She has done it again and this time very dramatically.
My toes have curled so much looking at that feat that my toenails are now in-growing..................
You and me both Boac. :-o :-o

I seem to remember from the last one that after the elevator stops they have a climb of about an hour up ladders to get to the top.
That would not have been a problem for Fred Dibnah, but he would not have looked as attractive when he reached the top :))

Plane spotters all over the world will be tracking that A380, so that they can point their lenses at it when it arrives

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3862 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:51 am

tango15 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:38 am
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Boac wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:17 am
My toes have curled so much looking at that feat that my toenails are now in-growing..................

I seem to remember from the last one that after the elevator stops they have a climb of about an hour up ladders to get to the top.
That would not have been a problem for Fred Dibnah, but he would not have looked as attractive when he reached the top :))
Who owed me £20.00 "loaned" to him after a long, fascinating, conversation about Garratt steam engines after we had met having both given talks at an exhibition, me on software testing metrics (very dry indeed) and him as the key note speaker (very interesting indeed) after the ISEB dinner. The wily old bugger told me he didn't have any cash on him, so I bought him a couple of drinks at the bar and gave him £20.00 out of my pocket for a cab to the station at the end of the evening, only to be informed later that he had been paid over £1000.00 in cash directly before his speech. =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3863 Post by tango15 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:19 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:51 am
tango15 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:38 am
Ex-Ascot wrote:

Who owed me £20.00 "loaned" to him after a long, fascinating, conversation about Garratt steam engines after we had met having both given talks at an exhibition, me on software testing metrics (very dry indeed) and him as the key note speaker (very interesting indeed) after the ISEB dinner. The wily old bugger told me he didn't have any cash on him, so I bought him a couple of drinks at the bar and gave him £20.00 out of my pocket for a cab to the station at the end of the evening, only to be informed later that he had been paid over £1000.00 in cash directly before his speech. =))
Doesn't surprise me at all. I had friends who knew Fred when I lived in that part of the world, and I was told that he was 'careful' with his money :))

Now Garratt steam engines - a subject close to my heart. I never did see a working one. I had planned to go to Zim when they were still in operation, but events overtook me. The irony of this is that I now live less than five miles from Wellingborough engine sheds, which for a long time were home to the Garratts. The shed is still there and in true Northamptonshire tradition, is home to Toetectors, the industrial boot manufacturers.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3864 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:34 pm

tango15 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:19 am
Now Garratt steam engines - a subject close to my heart. I never did see a working one. I had planned to go to Zim when they were still in operation, but events overtook me. The irony of this is that I now live less than five miles from Wellingborough engine sheds, which for a long time were home to the Garratts. The shed is still there and in true Northamptonshire tradition, is home to Toetectors, the industrial boot manufacturers.
I have fond memories of travelling on the sleeper in the mid 1960's (as a child) on the Trans Karoo between Cape Town and Johannesburg. Being pulled by a Garratt, with the thunder of the locomotive up front and the sparks flying by in the dark of that great plain with the milky way glowing above, such memories never leave one! :)

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3865 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:10 pm

Carpet fitting finished. Had enough left over for a rug under the the dining room table something we have been trying to achieve for 8 years. Still more left debating a rug in my study. Lots of underlay left over apparently they use it for under car carpets so our chap is going to try to sell it for us.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3866 Post by ricardian » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:54 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:34 pm
tango15 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:19 am
I have fond memories of travelling on the sleeper in the mid 1960's (as a child) on the Trans Karoo between Cape Town and Johannesburg. Being pulled by a Garratt, with the thunder of the locomotive up front and the sparks flying by in the dark of that great plain with the milky way glowing above, such memories never leave one! :)

The skills necessary to maintain large numbers of steam locomotives are not always appreciated. This video shows the process of maintaining a steam locomotive - the precision in machining parts, the timing of operations and integration of various crafts is quite astonishing (and no hi-viz in sight nor a computer to be seen!)
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3867 Post by tango15 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:27 pm

That was cruel, GG! I am green with envy!

Ricardian: interesting stuff. I was fortunate enough to get a trip to get a trip to Crewe works with a group we had at school called the Engineering and Transport Society. Definitely very labour-intensive, though from the programmes I've seen on TV about the heritage railways, they seem to manage with far fewer people, but I imagine the job is not done as quickly. I love steam engines!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3868 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:33 pm

tango15 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:27 pm
That was cruel, GG! I am green with envy!
No cruelty intended tango15! ;)))

I must check to see whether the South African Sandstone Garratt is still running. If so, perhaps it is time you visited my homeland!
We are fortunate that a GMA/GMAM has been saved from the breaker’s torch. She is No. 4079, named “Lindi Lou” and she is owned by the Sandstone Heritage Trust and can be seen in all her glory at the “Reef Steamers” Open Day (usually held on the last Saturday of July) at the historic Germiston Steam Locomotive Depot.
https://www.theheritageportal.co.za/art ... locomotive
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3869 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:36 pm

ricardian wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:54 pm
The skills necessary to maintain large numbers of steam locomotives are not always appreciated. This video shows the process of maintaining a steam locomotive - the precision in machining parts, the timing of operations and integration of various crafts is quite astonishing (and no hi-viz in sight nor a computer to be seen!)

I had the pleasure of visiting the maintenance workshops at Salt River in Cape Town when they were still maintaining the operational steam locomotives in the early 1980's. It was as you say, an symphony of a kind, with skilled turners and fitters in every corner.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3870 Post by Woody » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:55 pm

It’s obviously hungry work being a wheel tapper and shunter :D

When all else fails, read the instructions.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3871 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:49 pm

Hey you know that this over 60 thing is now not as bad as I may have thought it was last week! =))

Filled in my online Well pharmacy order for the "Quasimodo hump beauty lotion" and an extra order of "Dr Zogg's Sex Wax" and got the confirmation that the doctor had Ok'd it, and lo, they didn't expect me to pay for it! Can this be true? :-bd

Cue some music...

=))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3872 Post by Boac » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:54 pm

"Quasimodo hump beauty lotion" and an extra order of "Dr Zogg's Sex Wax"
Here's hoping the right thing goes down........ =))

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3873 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:56 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:54 pm
"Quasimodo hump beauty lotion" and an extra order of "Dr Zogg's Sex Wax"
Here's hoping the right thing goes down........ =))
Yes, I do too! :)) =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3874 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:18 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:49 pm
Hey you know that this over 60 thing is now not as bad as I may have thought it was last week! =))

Filled in my online Well pharmacy order for the "Quasimodo hump beauty lotion" and an extra order of "Dr Zogg's Sex Wax" and got the confirmation that the doctor had Ok'd it, and lo, they didn't expect me to pay for it! Can this be true? :-bd

Cue some music...

=))
Only downside is when they stop asking if you qualify for the senior discount and automatically apply it. :-o :((

PP

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3875 Post by 1DC » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:36 pm

Wait until the day that the sweet young thing in Tesco carefully puts your change in your hand and says "Here you are love put it in your pocket before you lose it"!!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3876 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:41 pm

1DC wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:36 pm
Wait until the day that the sweet young thing in Tesco carefully puts your change in your hand and says "Here you are love put it in your pocket before you lose it"!!
=)) ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3877 Post by Ibbie » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:49 pm

I have put notice of Handsfree(Eric's) Funeral on the separate relative thread.

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#3878 Post by bob2s » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:28 pm

My heart fettler put me on 1/2 an asprin after he installed 2 stents over 10 years ago,said only 1/2 as asprin can cause damage to parts of the body.
Another interesting fact was that while talking to the Doctor when he was installing the second stent I asked him how did they come up with the process of installing same,answer was that the doctor that came up with the procedure actually carried it out on himself with entry through the veins in the arm.
I would say he was abraver man than I Gunga Din.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3879 Post by 1DC » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:26 pm

I had a stroke five years ago and was taken off aspirin and put on clopidogrel instead. The Doc says clopidogrel is taken for life and is easier on the body than aspirin. I have got over the stroke with no real after effects.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3880 Post by OFSO » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:03 am

Morning all. As ever, cold and windy. Off to Medico this morning as whatever we have had works it's way out of us. Both still coughing tho. Three weeks now.