PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#7141 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:44 pm

I wouldn't buy any tickets just yet.

7th century Anglo-Saxon ship will sail England’s rivers once again

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/24/world/su ... index.html

When an Anglo-Saxon warrior king died 1,400 years ago in East Anglia in the United Kingdom, he was placed inside a ship and surrounded by treasures. The 90-foot-long (27.4-meter-long) wooden ship, dragged half a mile (0.8 kilometer) from the River Deben, was buried inside a mound.

Archaeologists excavating the mound in 1939 recovered weapons, a warrior’s helmet and intricately designed treasures made from precious metals and jewels, along with rows of iron rivets.

Edith Pretty, owner of the Suffolk property including the mounds, donated the treasure to The British Museum in London. The burial was likely that of Raedwald of East Anglia, who died in 624 AD.

If you’ve watched “The Dig” on Netflix, the story of the site at Sutton Hoo and its seventh century royal burial ground is a familiar one. It remains one of only three known Anglo-Saxon ship burials.

“It kind of revolutionized our understanding of who the Anglo-Saxons were. This discovery illuminated the so-called Dark Ages and showed that these people were culturally sophisticated with amazing levels of craftsmanship and far-reaching trading connections,” said Laura Howarth, archaeology and engagement manager for the National Trust and Sutton Hoo site.

The ship itself, which has captivated so many, no longer exists. The wood rotted away in the acidic soil, but the precise positions of the planks left an impression in the sand, resembling the ghostly outline of the ship.

Two photographers, Mercie Lack and Barbara Wagstaff, captured images of the ship’s “fossil” imprint in 1939 before the mound was covered once more as World War II loomed.

Now, Martin Carver, professor emeritus of archaeology at the University of York, and The Sutton Hoo Ship’s Company charity are undertaking the monumental task of bringing the ship back to life and enlisting a crew to row it across England’s rivers once again.

Raising a ghost ship
In the town of Woodbridge, near Sutton Hoo, there has long been a dream to build a full-scale replica of the famed ship. Of the hundreds of finds from the burial, nearly all of which were originally found in pieces, the ship is the only item that hasn’t been reconstructed, Carver said.

Archaeologists expected a routine dig in Sweden, but they uncovered two rare Viking burial boats
After the ship’s company charity was formed in 2016, the team began designing the plans.

Carver, who directed excavations at Sutton Hoo between 1983 and 1992, is overseeing the construction, which is underway, and is raising funds for the project. The team hopes to raise 1.5 million pounds to build the ship, row it across rivers and estuaries, and give the ship a permanent home.

The reconstruction project has 70 volunteers, and the oldest volunteer just recently turned 90. Their task is to reconstruct the ship as accurately as possible with techniques from the Anglo-Saxons themselves, like using axes to shape the timbers. Oak trees from East Anglia are being used to construct the ship.

Anyone with an interest in supporting the reconstruction can sponsor handcrafted rivets and other parts of the ship on the Sutton Hoo charity website, Carver said.

The company plans to launch the ship on the water and begin rowing trials in the spring of 2024. A team of 40 rowers will train and learn how to handle the 16.4-foot-long (5-meter-long) wooden oars.

Site 'overlooked for over 90 years,' was home to some of Britain's earliest humans, study finds
The original ship served a ceremonial purpose for the king’s burial, but there is evidence that the ship was mended and had a life on the water before the burial, Carver said.

Between 2024 and 2029, the ship will undertake three voyages that trace where the earliest English kingdoms were formed.

“We want to put the rivers in the limelight, the motorways of the day,” Carver said. “The voyages will take us past many of the great early settlements discovered by archaeologists in the last few decades.”

Anglo-Saxon ships were used to transport warriors, kings and cargo alike, and they were elegantly decorated and painted.

“I’m hoping that when the ship makes its trips, it will excite people in many different ways, but particularly in giving them a feeling of what a brilliant period this was in seventh century Britain,” Carver said.

By 2030, the ship will end its voyages and go on display – possibly across the river from Woodbridge at the Sutton Hoo visitor’s center.

Stepping back in time
Working on the ship is its own kind of experimental archaeology, Howarth said. She has worked at Sutton Hoo since 2014 and holds a master’s degree in medieval studies, specializing in seventh century Anglo-Saxons.

When visitors arrive at Sutton Hoo, they are greeted by a sculpture that shows the scale of the ship. The intrigue of the ghost ship continues to draw people in, which is why Howarth believes that a tangible re-creation will allow them to connect with the adventurous spirit of their ancestors – as well as the ship’s symbolism.

“It all kind of links back to journeys, both in life and in death and the ship being that kind of metaphor,” Howarth said.

Research continues at Sutton Hoo, and a number of tantalizing questions remain. No written records remain from the time period, but the artifacts and cemeteries the Anglo-Saxons left behind are beginning to fit together like a puzzle, revealing connections between communities.

A new exhibit, “Swords of Kingdoms: The Staffordshire Hoard at Sutton Hoo,” has united items from the Staffordshire Hoard – the largest hoard of Anglo-Saxon gold and silver ever found, recovered in 2009 – with treasures from the Sutton Hoo site. The exhibition runs through October 30.

The similarity in both design and craftsmanship of the objects from the two collections suggests they were made in the same seventh century East Anglia workshops, Howarth said.

She still marvels at the tiny gold and garnet cloisonné sword pyramids, decorative fittings associated with scabbards, discovered in the ship’s burial chamber by archaeologist Peggy Piggott in 1939.

“How did they come up with such complex designs and concentrate them down to these tiny glittering treasures?” Howarth said. “That would probably be one thing that I’d like to go back and watch if I could jump in a time machine.”

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7142 Post by OFSO » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:24 am

So the choices for a bladeless fan are between €350 for a Dyson, €59 for an Aldi, or don't buy one at all. Since I'd never pay €350 for a fan, buying an Aldi one does not represent a loss for Dyson.

Don't even need a fan here this morning. It's a case of shutting the windows to keep the coolth out.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7143 Post by Ibbie » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:08 am

Morning folks.
22c and usual clear blue sky here. Day is said to be capable of producing a high of 27c: a low figure I suspect.

Awaiting arrival of car valet company to give Mrs IB's vehicle a good clean inside and out. Mats in the interior are being replaced as she has shredded the originals.

ribrash

#7144 Post by ribrash » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:50 am

Isn,t it lovely and quiet.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7145 Post by Wodrick » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:54 am

Moaning all,
Pretty much same as, 26c Blue, guess aqui 30c.

Oft to El horsepitil for SM 1st inspection post operation 3.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7146 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:49 am

A bit of dampness descending - one shall remain indoors and watch the cricket on't telly.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7147 Post by OFSO » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:52 am

Talking of horsepitils, the wound, four stitches, where Mme had the consequences of an insect bite, sting, parasite, or lesion cut out of her leg, has healed magnificently. Which is surprising as being difficult, Mme OFSO is not a healy person. She attributes the success to the skill of her doctor, a Sportmedizin Ärzte. Needless to say it was damned expensive. Must get around to paying his bill sometime.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7148 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:33 am

Morning folks. My back has come out in sympathy with 4M's. (Nice looking model aircraft by the way) No idea why. It was a bit painful first thing and after I had finished on the exercise machine it was very painful. I am not crawling around trying to fix toilets today. Trying to configure my new phone. I have managed to transfer all the data from my old one which was the most important thing before it dies. The problem now is it keeps asking for passwords for things and I have no idea.

Made the mistake of looking at our investment portfolio this morning :((
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7149 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:01 am

Well!!! There's a surprise! Rain has delayed the start of the last day of the test match.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7150 Post by Pinky the pilot » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:08 am

Ah yes, 4mastacker; A fine model of the greatest heavy Bomber of WWII, powered by four of the most beautiful sounding piston engines ever produced! :-bd

Knew a local Bloke, now deceased, who survived a full tour in one of them as a Navigator in a Pathfinders squadron.

No wonder they gave him a DFC.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7151 Post by ricardian » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:08 am

Lovely day for a trip to mainland so that the podiatrist can tweak my tootsies. Slightly lumpy on the ferry and mysterious delay in docking at Kirkwall. Currently relaxing in Balfour hospital's well appointed lounge using the free WiFi.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7152 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:45 am

What happened to the days when you got a new phone put in a SIM card charged it up and switched it on. This thing is beating the ***** out of me. If it asks for yet another password it is going into the lagoon.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7153 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:07 pm

Disposal of potentially hazardous electronics?
You need a permit for that.

Sunny and breezy, which helps keep the mozzies down. Everything growing like crazy now the summer is here, so I am at it dawn and dusk keeping the good stuff growing and the bad stuff strimmed. Firewood to block and split today also.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7154 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:22 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:45 am
What happened to the days when you got a new phone put in a SIM card charged it up and switched it on. This thing is beating the *s**t* out of me. If it asks for yet another password it is going into the lagoon.
Is there an option to return 'no input' so that passwords are not set?
Otherwise choose simple memorable words.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7155 Post by OFSO » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:37 pm

Xiomi and Huawei use phone clone. Turn on the new phone, it looks round the house. Old devices turn on and say "someone is looking at us! Is it OK if they take a copy of me?" Saying yes means a compete copy, including log-ins and passwords is taken. I often find it's necessary to do some deletions from the new phone because last time I did it it copied stuff from my wife's phone. Relatives', friends' and lovers' numbers, for ex. Then you hit the clean up icon and you are ready to go.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7156 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:07 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:07 pm
Disposal of potentially hazardous electronics?
You need a permit for that.

Waterproof down to 1m maybe the hippos could get onto our WIFI. Mind you they are sunbathing in the reeds at the moment. Making a big noise.

Got a new gun and all the squirrels have disappeared.

ribrash

#7157 Post by ribrash » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:10 pm

I applied for a new passport on-line using digital photo,s.Got it back today,after 6 days.Impressive.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7158 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:23 pm

Got a new gun and all the squirrels have disappeared.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7159 Post by Wodrick » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:56 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:54 am
Passed ! :o) :YMPARTY: Only three years and three operations

No need to return unless there is a perceived problem.

Just been for feet overhaul, sore now but will be better later.

The Serb showed about 10.30 and the external paint has commenced.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7160 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:03 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:56 pm
Wodrick wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:54 am
Passed ! :o) :YMPARTY: Only three years and three operations

No need to return unless there is a perceived problem.
Are you sure that all is well? - or have you just been discharged - time expired?