The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

General Chit Chat
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#7181 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:43 am

Aviation content. Just watched our Airlink daily schedule on radar coming into MUB from JNB. VFR approach, no choice. He joined on a 10 nm right base. What a waste of time and fuel. SOP? Can't they be a bit punchier? For Goodness sake!
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7182 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:46 pm

LG - you have another PM.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7183 Post by Wodrick » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:25 pm

G'day,
Thought I had but it seems not, 27c and 61% humidad.

Took Punto to the Vet this morning and they have subsequently rung to say he is OK. Collection 17.00 or so when they reopen.

Serb started around 08.30 maybe earlier and gone around 14.00, does not knock himself out but does not charge the earth either.

He has suggested random stone cladding where the render falls off regularly, a typical Spanish solution. 900€ more but it will look better.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#7184 Post by Groundgripper » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:01 pm

One of madams friends has tickets to see Diana Ross at Lytham Festival tonight. Have told her to take ear plugs.
We're just under 2km from the stage and can usually hear everything quite clearly. This is the first of 10 nights of the Festival, tonight to Saturday, then three nights to recuperate, then it all kicks off again next Wednesday until Sunday. Apparently as they haven't had it for the last two years they are being allowed a double dose of it this year as a special treat.

It usually finished with a 'Last Night of the Proms' evening. That is now going to take place as a separate event at the end of August at Lytham Hall which is about 900 metres from us. %-( Any closer and they'll be charging us to listen to it from our own front gardens. :-$

At least we'll get a good view of the fireworks...

GG

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7185 Post by llondel » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:08 pm

Groundgripper wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:01 pm
It usually finished with a 'Last Night of the Proms' evening. That is now going to take place as a separate event at the end of August at Lytham Hall which is about 900 metres from us. %-( Any closer and they'll be charging us to listen to it from our own front gardens. :-$
A friend in Scotland had a festival on neighbouring land. He wandered over to the fence line, where he had a good view of it all, and was met by site security. When he pointed out that he was standing on his own land and couldn't sleep due to the noise, they backed off and let him watch.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7186 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:22 pm

Was anchored off Benodet in France when they had a beach concert starring The Animals. With only 3 foot of draft, I got in to about 200 foot off the shoreline and watched from there. Very pleasant on my sun lounger with a cooler of beer.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7187 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:23 pm

It's been a rough old day.

Clinical imagery showed that the mare has two tumours. One on the gut; another on the liver. Both operable, but at high risk with a low probability of survival to 12 months. My daughter, who is an anaesthetist at a major teaching hospital in central London and is also a qualified surgeon, flew up from London first thing this morning and reckons the probability of surviving 12 months is less than 7% and the likelihood of complications leading to non-survival of the procedures is more than twice that. She has no veterinary training, but she knows how to read such imagery and she participates in such surgery on humans every day of her working life, so she's got a pretty good handle on such matters.

There are two other interested parties involved beside my daughter and her mother. There's a lassie in the local village who dotes on Phoebe and there's a retired policewoman who trained and rode the mare during police service. All five of us concurred that to proceed with surgery would not be in the best interest of the horse. My daughter stood by with the antidote syringe in hand in case the vet had an accident while he put Phoebe to sleep.

I've borrowed a turntable backhoe from a near neighbour and while my daughter distracted the lassie and the former police woman by taking them for a ride on the three remaining horses, I laid Phoebe to rest next to her stablemate Phantom. She's an exceptionally tall horse. I guess that's why she was selected for police work. She has had great command presence, but is was a great big softy at heart.

Daughter has gone to the airport to catch a flight to LCY as she's booked for an important operation early tomorrow morning. The village taxidriver is very pleased with those two lucrative fares today. His line of work has fallen on hard times as so many people are cutting back on spending due to the combination of falling real wages and steeply increasing costs of living.

A prescription by Dr Macallan is in order, I think.

Looking at the above text, I see that I'm gonna have to learn to stop using the present tense when talking about Phoebe. :(

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7188 Post by Wodrick » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:30 pm

Condolences, these things are difficult.

We expect similar soon with Punto as the Spleen is the worst place for spread of a malignant tumor.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7189 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:32 pm

I will raise a glass (or 3) to her memory. :(

PP

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#7190 Post by G~Man » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:54 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:32 pm
I will raise a glass (or 3) to her memory. :(
PP
Me too
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7191 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:59 pm

UP - you have exercised your kindest service to Phoebe - as distressing as it no doubt was to carry out.

Respect!

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7192 Post by ricardian » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:26 pm

A pain-free end to a life well-lived is the greatest gift that can be given to any animal. However, it's the most difficult of gifts to give.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7193 Post by Karearea » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:41 pm

UP - I'm sorry for that sad conclusion. Sympathy to you.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7194 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:50 pm

A glass raised here too.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7195 Post by OFSO » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:03 pm

Condolences from the OFSOs.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7196 Post by llondel » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:40 pm

Condolences from here too, it's always a hard decision to make even if it's the correct.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7197 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:57 pm

Phoebe was given early retirement due to a 'rationalisation' of the unified Police Scotland. Her handler, who is local woman, knows us well and thought that we'd be the ideal providers of a lovely retirement home for the horse. She, in effect, acted as an intermediary between us and the Police in our acquisition.

Of course, she the policewoman who also took early retirement, has had full and free access to her beloved Phoebe and they have been a familiar sight around the local lanes. She wears dayglo gear with blue and white checked trimmings and is often mistaken for an on duty police officer when riding Phoebe who is immensely tall. She will, of course, be given unlimited free access to any of the other three horses for life.

It is she for whom I feel most sorry. A close second is the lassie from the village. She had also loved my beloved Phantom whom we lost a couple of years ago. There is a tree planted right on top of Phantom, and now next to Phoebe. It's a Holly and her name is Holly. That's not mere happenstance of course. If she lives to be a hundred years old, and I hope she will, there will always be a marker for those two horses which effectively has her name on it.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7198 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:02 pm

You're a decent man, UP.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7199 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:05 pm

I think it must be the dust in the atmosphere . . .

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7200 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:06 pm

Yes, llondel, it was a hard decision but not a difficult one. To have proceeded with the surgery option would have been a matter of us yoomans manipulating Nature to suit our convenience and to buy some more time with a lovely horse. It probably would not really have been to the benefit of the horse.

That fact that all five of us felt the same way, including a child of thirteen and someone who had known the horse for over a decade, is an indication that there really was only one option.