Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#12281 Post by Hydromet » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:56 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:32 pm
another day algebra1.jpg

Personally, I am using it at the moment to design a trailer.
Wonder when you last used it?
Used it yesterday while designing a tambour with compound curves.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12282 Post by Karearea » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:57 am

It took me a further hour yesterday, over three more phone-calls and incorrect phone-picker-uppers who said "I'll just transfer you", to get an insurance claim number for the windscreen.

All replaced now and car WoF'd.

Sunny, 21°C, some thunderstorms about at the moment.
"And to think that it's the same dear old Moon..."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12283 Post by OFSO » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:24 am

8° and raining. No sign so far of a "wall of snow", blizzards, gales, polar bears or mammoths...

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12284 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:56 am

Morning folks. Nice day 09.45 and 30C. Waiting for three groups of people to arrive to do work. Nobody yet. they usually come to us first thing then work their way back into town.

No MOTs here but you can't avoid stone chips in the windscreen. I think that we have three. I believe that there is a filler that you can get.

A bit complicated and time consuming Mam but not as long as you spent on the blower.

'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12285 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:58 am

Rain, overcast, ceiling 1000 feet with embedded Cb's locally. Warmer with rain and some more gusty wind forecast all day.

Ra is not in his heaven, and seems to have taken the last train for some foreign sun kissed coast.
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12286 Post by Ibbie » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:06 am

14c , going up to 23c it is thought. Clear blue sky, with no cloud.

I thought yesterday was Friday.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#12287 Post by k3k3 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:30 am

Ibbie wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:06 am

I thought yesterday was Friday.
Doesn't matter, just means we get two this week.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12288 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:32 am

OFSO wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:24 am
8° and raining. No sign so far of a "wall of snow", blizzards, gales, polar bears or mammoths...
No snow, save perhaps for a light wet flake flurry, forecast for Teddington but try the boundary between the tropical and polar maritime air at a latitude corresponding roughly to that of the Peak District this morning, and you will find your snow. Go to Ex-A's garden in the sun for mammoth waterings.

No polar bears were harmed during this post.
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12289 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:44 am

Sunny yet again and no clouds, +2C. Snow on the ground but nothing has fallen for the last 36 hours. Floor tiler is hard at work in the renovated shower room. Mrs C16 is not a happie chappie with a sore mouth - had a tooth out yesterday plus drilling done in the same place for a dental implant plus a bone graft of ground pig bone inserted to strengthen things. Now she has to wait 6 months for the pig bone graft to form part of her jaw before the tooth part can be put in place. She had a massive dose of antibiotics at the dentist plus a course of steroid tablets starts today - all to prevent rejection of the pig bone.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12290 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:02 am

Just done the mammoth watering. It is mayhem here. Everyone who arrived in the last 3 hours got soaked getting to the house. I am controlling operations from my armchair on the veranda with a cold beer. If anyone wants anything they come to me. I am not inspecting any work I trust everyone who is working for us. Mrs Ex-Ascot has just checked the electrics in the guest accommodation. Buggered. Can't get hold of the electrician who will need to bring another transformer.

Night guard asked to borrow a car battery. No way, we will never see it again. Offered to charge his. He brought it this morning. It is very small. Said he can't afford a bigger one. It is on charge but I am sure that it will not last for long again. He has a small minibus for all his kids.

Good Lord C16. Can she eat normally with knife and fork or do you have to buy a trough? Sorry. :ymdevil:
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12291 Post by Wodrick » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:31 am

Good Morning,
Friday Confirmed.

I have a High haze just edging the sun 18c, seaweed 25c.

Priority today is a whisky run to Nerja, SM has run out, this will never do.

Interesting post *C16* Keep posting her adventures, next month I am scheduled for two implants and a two tooth bridge between them.

My mouth is gradually falling apart.

Will be keen to see different methods. The lovely Sonja, Slasher grade A, was muttering about 4 appointments.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12292 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:53 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:02 am
....Good Lord C16. Can she eat normally with knife and fork or do you have to buy a trough? Sorry. :ymdevil:
I had a good giggle at that, Ex-A! However, with the sore mouth Mrs C16's humour implant has understandably failed this morning so I don't think I''ll mention that gem to her.
Wodrick wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:31 am
....Interesting post *C16* Keep posting her adventures, next month I am scheduled for two implants and a two tooth bridge between them.

.....Will be keen to see different methods. The lovely Sonja, Slasher grade A, was muttering about 4 appointments.
Mrs C16 had a consultation, then an appointment for a whole mouth scan using what I think was a standing up xray or CT scanner which revolved around her head, then yesterday's appointment to take out the offending tooth and drill the bone to put in the implant base, a checkup in two week's time and then fitting of the tooth in 6 months when the graft has taken. I understand that normally without the graft they would just wait until the gum has grown over the insert and then that would be slit so the tooth could be fitted.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12293 Post by OFSO » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:18 am

Mrs OFSO lost a lot of jaw bone both sides plus one upper due to a lifetime of steroids for asthma. Dentist used ground up bone and bone growth hormones, months to wait then implants. A great deal of work. €12,000. Must add that on independent websites he's rated the best dentist in Spain. No idea what the others are like but he's very good IMHO. German, of course.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12294 Post by Wodrick » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:21 am

My Phone has chosen to show me a reminder that it is our anniversary - 14 years, we have been together for 29 however.

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#12295 Post by Groundgripper » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:41 am

Ra is not in his heaven, and seems to have taken the last train for some foreign sun kissed coast.
He's up here on the Costa del Lancashire. B-) We woke up this morning to about an inch of wet smow that melted over the following hour or so, so he obviously thought that he should nip up here. It's now a sunny morning, temperature about 6C (3C at Blackpool airport), hardly any wind and the remainder of the cloud seems to be disappearing towards the southern horizon. Bit cool for gardening but nice to look at from inside a warm house. :-bd

GG

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12296 Post by Hydromet » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:17 am

Some days a re diamonds!

Completed a 'thank you' job for a friend who gave me a large amount of beautiful old Tasmanian blackwood - very valuable timber.

Perfect weather, so I went for a walk on the local unofficial bike track. There's been a bit of a kerfuffle about it, as the local anti fun group have been trying to shut it down. They've been spreading misinformation, claiming that the bikes are damaging the local fauna & flora & biodiversity. They lost a vote in council this week, as council have a plan & money to formalise the trails, put in facilities and other sports grounds. When I got there there was a group from the council and the local member doing an inspection, so I was able to give them the benefit of 50 years knowledge of the area, and how vandalism and dumping have decreased and biodiversity has increased since the trails went in. While I was talking to them a white-faced heron, not recorded there before, flew over, that kind of made my point.

Friday is wine and take away night for us. We have a couple of good places nearby, but sometimes we feel like a change. A new place has opened a little further away. A couple of weeks ago we had a pizza, tonight we had Lebanese wraps. All were delicious.

Got home and found a very nice red that I'd forgotten I had.

Did I mention, some days are diamonds.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12297 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:24 am

Groundgripper wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:41 am
He's up here on the Costa del Lancashire. B-) We woke up this morning to about an inch of wet smow that melted over the following hour or so, so he obviously thought that he should nip up here. It's now a sunny morning, temperature about 6C (3C at Blackpool airport), hardly any wind and the remainder of the cloud seems to be disappearing towards the southern horizon. Bit cool for gardening but nice to look at from inside a warm house. :-bd

GG
Ra winked at us here briefly for 10 minutes too, but all is gloom again now. It looks like it may remain dry though, and one has to take what one can get these days!

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12298 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:08 pm

Something very odd been going on out to sea by Lossie. Swiss Air flight from LA to Zurich has disappeared off radar after some tight circles in the sky and a Typhoon or summat off his starboard side. Don't suppose the 'erberts were on board?

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12299 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:10 pm

Lord Byron's (1788–1824) Friday poem at lunchtime...
Venice, II

(Childe Harold, Canto iv. Stanzas 11–13.)

THE SPOUSELESS Adriatic mourns her lord;
And, annual marriage, now no more renew’d,
The Bucentaur lies rotting unrestored,
Neglected garment of her widowhood!
St. Mark yet sees his lion where he stood,
Stand, but in mockery of his wither’d power,
Over the proud Place where an Emperor sued,
And monarchs gazed and envied in the hour
When Venice was a queen with an unequall’d dower.

The Suabian sued, and now the Austrian reigns—
An Emperor tramples where an Emperor knelt;
Kingdoms are shrunk to provinces, and chains
Clank over sceptred cities; nations melt
From power’s high pinnacle, when they have felt
The sunshine for a while, and downward go
Like lauwine loosen’d from the mountain’s belt;
Oh for one hour of blind old Dandolo!
Th’ octogenarian chief, Byzantium’s conquering foe.

Before St. Mark still glow his steeds of brass,
Their gilded collars glittering in the sun;
But is not Doria’s menace come to pass?
Are they not bridled?—Venice, lost and won,
Her thirteen hundred years of freedom done,
Sinks, like a sea-weed, into whence she rose!
Better be whelm’d beneath the waves, and shun,
Even in destruction’s depth, her foreign foes,
From whom submission wrings an infamous repose.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12300 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:06 pm

Fine and sunny hereabouts now although there was big fluffy-flaked whiteness aplenty first thing.

T'was head-shaking time watching the school run this morning - lazy buggahs who couldn't be bothered to properly clear their windscreens before taking their off-springs to school and fools who didn't allow for the extra braking distance when the roads are covered in snow -
It's always my fault - SWMBO