Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#15961 Post by Karearea » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:08 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:07 pm
Karearea wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:35 pm

If I tell you, you'll be turning up for a cup of tea and buttered scones :))
Actually, I prefer coffee and scones would be on my norty list.
Thanks anyway.

PP
:)) Mine too actually!
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15962 Post by Karearea » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:56 am

Temperature was up to 25.8°C on my thermometer today.

Noted hazy skies which I am informed is due to smoke from 70 fires burning across New South Wales.

So far 49 quakes in the area of this morning's Mag. 6 but none of them substantial enough to be the expected main aftershock. :-?

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15963 Post by Hydromet » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:08 am

Karearea wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:56 am
Temperature was up to 25.8°C on my thermometer today.

Noted hazy skies which I am informed is due to smoke from 70 fires burning across New South Wales.

So far 49 quakes in the area of this morning's Mag. 6 but none of them substantial enough to be the expected main aftershock. :-?
The smoke is probably from the hazard reduction burns last week. There were a lot of burns going on in anticipation of the hot weather this week.

There is a cool change expected to hit tonight. Tomorrow's forecast max is 22c.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Coronavirus, 2019-nCoV

#15964 Post by barkingmad » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:17 am

OneHungLow wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:40 am
Where is BM aka Dr. Krollspell.... =))
Dr K.JPG
Woody & OHL it’s nice to know I was missed recently. :-?

At the time of the AWOL message I was completing nearly 200 miles of hard cycling, with no battery assistance, around the peninsulas of Kerry and Cork in the ROI.

Total elevation gain by leg power over the 5.5 days was 13,110 feet according to the guides’ info and my wrist mounted ‘DFDR’, after 800+ miles in the saddle this year by way of training.

So I remain faithful to my posting moniker... 8-}

Thank you for your concern, with a sore fundament I must now concentrate on scraping the bottom of my piggy bank to find the necessary funds for PayPal to ensure my continued presence here.=))

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Coronavirus, 2019-nCoV

#15965 Post by OneHungLow » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:08 am

barkingmad wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:17 am
OneHungLow wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:40 am
Where is BM aka Dr. Krollspell.... =))
Dr K.JPG
Woody & OHL it’s nice to know I was missed recently. :-?

At the time of the AWOL message I was completing nearly 200 miles of hard cycling, with no battery assistance, around the peninsulas of Kerry and Cork in the ROI.

Total elevation gain by leg power over the 5.5 days was 13,110 feet according to the guides’ info and my wrist mounted ‘DFDR’, after 800+ miles in the saddle this year by way of training.

So I remain faithful to my posting moniker... 8-}

Thank you for your concern, with a sore fundament I must now concentrate on scraping the bottom of my piggy bank to find the necessary funds for PayPal to ensure my continued presence here.=))
Bravo BM

Yours truly used to be a long distance cyclist so I know how arduous these things can be and salute your hardiness... ^:)^
The observer of fools in military south and north...

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15966 Post by barkingmad » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:23 am

Thanks OHL, the devious plan, similar to last years Scottish Borders hardiness madness, is to cadge as much loot as possible out of friends and family by way of sponsorship (but only after I've completed the route in the saddle), match fund it from my piggybank and to donate the total to the Crisis homeless charity oop north here in Blighty.

Rest assured my psycho therapist is seeking ways to cure me of this unhealthy compulsion but so far has failed to make a proven clinical case against it. :))

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#15967 Post by limeygal » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:57 am

12/15

Hydro-hope you are healing quickly :YMHUG:

Karearea-that must be very frightening. We have hurricanes here, but at least we get several days warning so we can make preparations or get out of Dodge if needs be. Stay safe :YMHUG:

I am having the same problem with my brand new printer. It works fine on its own, but anything connected to the computer, i.e. wi-fi, it is spotty. It's driving me crazy. I did the USB thing and set it up as a "2nd" printer. I tried unplugging the USB, and selected the non USB printer and that seems to do the trick-so far. Not a happy camper. It's an HP printer. The big annoyance is you can't actually talk to a human anymore-no phone # listed on their website. You have to talk to an "assistant" or a robotic thingy.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15968 Post by Hydromet » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:03 am

My aging Canon printer was connected via Wi-Fi, but after many upgrades to iOS it now has to be connected via USB. I haven't tried to re-establish the Wi-Fi connection.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15969 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:56 pm

13 AM
12 PM

A few guesses...good and otherwise.

PP

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15970 Post by Karearea » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:57 pm

Thank you for good wishes, limeygal.
Still no main aftershock. 65 aftershocks so far, none over Mag.3
My eight-day clock stopped and refuses to keep going if I re-start it.
Having experienced a number of earthquakes in recent years I'm as prepared as I can be, with textured anti-slip grip-mat lining for the cabinets with the china and glass; Blu-Tack under a couple of precious vases that were my grandmother's; heavy items low rather than high in the cupboards; stores of essential supplies.
Rose Acland froze when the world beneath her started to roll on Wednesday morning, and she immediately thought it was the “big one’’.

Acland, of Mt Peel Station, had been working at her desk when a magnitude 6 earthquake struck at 9.14am, about 45km north of Geraldine. Mt Peel is about 30km north of Geraldine.

It is not the first big quake Acland has experienced. The church, built on the station by her husband's ancestors in 1869, was severely damaged in the 2010 Darfield earthquake, with the east gable partly collapsing.

The Church of the Holy Innocents, at Mt Peel Station, re-opened seven years later after $1.6 million was spent on restoration and strengthening work.

Acland said there appeared to be no damage to the church or station homestead, which had also been earthquake strengthened.

“The church is so well reinforced, no candlesticks, or the cross, moved,’’ she said.
“Things in the house moved – a mirror came down and things flew off mantelpieces.’’
Acland said the quake was “incredibly scary straight away’’.

“I thought this is really going to be the big one. I really froze.’’

While her instinct was to run outside, Acland said she sat still and waited for the shaking to stop.

“Then I grabbed my phone and bolted out the door.’’
Having experienced the strength of the 2010 earthquake, she said this quake felt different.

“This literally felt underneath us, which it basically is, underneath us.’’

It had also come out of nowhere, which it had made it all the more shocking, she said.

This had led to her feeling slightly unnerved on Wednesday afternoon, she said.

Built by one of Canterbury's early notable stonemasons and craftsmen, William Brassington, in 1868, the category 2 Church of the Holy Innocents sits on the 5500-hectare farm about 30km north of Geraldine.
The man instrumental in having the church built, John Barton Arundel Acland, gifted it to the community.

Among those buried near the church was acclaimed fiction crime writer and theatre director, Dame Ngaio Marsh, who died in 1982.
Article includes a few photos of the exquisite little church which I have visited often:

Fears magnitude 6 earthquake near Geraldine was 'the big one'

Starry sky this morning. Mild, around 16°C, expecting 19°C and fresh to strong northerlies.

12/15 in this morning's quiz: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/quizze ... er-21-2023

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15971 Post by OFSO » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:42 pm

Best wishes for a speedy settling down of the strata. Stratum? Having been in a 4 point something in the Early Hours, I know it's not fun. Fingers crossed for you.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15972 Post by tango15 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:00 pm

I understand your concern. Karearea. I've experienced a number of them; Ecuador, Chile, Greece, Peru, Some were the shaky kind, others the wavy kind. None of them were predicted of course. The one thing that surprised me was that in all cases they were silent. There was only the moving of the walls and or the floor to indicate that something was happening, none of the Hollywood-style nonsense that I had believed accompanied earthquakes, which for me at least, made them more unnerving.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15973 Post by Karearea » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:35 pm

tango15 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:00 pm
I understand your concern. Karearea. I've experienced a number of them; Ecuador, Chile, Greece, Peru, Some were the shaky kind, others the wavy kind. None of them were predicted of course. The one thing that surprised me was that in all cases they were silent. There was only the moving of the walls and or the floor to indicate that something was happening, none of the Hollywood-style nonsense that I had believed accompanied earthquakes, which for me at least, made them more unnerving.
I wonder if that depends on the soil type and lower rock layers, also perhaps the built environment.

Yesterday's effort was very rackety, hit the house with an almighty bang and then went on rattling loudly including noise from outside which I'm not sure what that was.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15974 Post by Woody » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:19 pm

Didn’t know that they did a convertible version

When all else fails, read the instructions.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15975 Post by OneHungLow » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:34 pm

Woody wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:19 pm

Panavia 200. In this case it appears that Fox3 has ejected... =))
Looking for a Multi-Role Combat Aircraft the govern­ments of the United Kingdom, Ger­many, Netherlands and Italy joined forces in the Panavia Aircraft multi­national company. They wanted an aircraft to replace both bombers and interception/recon­naissance fighters. Originally two versions were foreseen, the Panavia 100 single seater and Panavia 200 two seater. Only the last was finally developed, after the Nether­lands withdrew and with changing requirements.

The Tornado thus has two seats as standard. Like many fighters of that time the air intakes have a wedge shape, which are diagonal when viewed from the side. They are smaller than on other fighters. The PA200 has variable sweep wings, allowing low-level flights at high speeds, and enabling a low speed for landing. The thrust reversers also help reducing the runway length needed. Finally, the huge single vertical stabiliser is a clear recognition point.
https://www.aircraftrecognitionguide.co ... ia-tornado

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15976 Post by Boac » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:43 pm

I recall that was Keith Hartley (yet another who passed through my youthful hands... :) and recently of the 'Chinese' gang...) I was VFR'ing from Perth to Bristol some years ago with some corporate pax in my Cessna 310 and talking to Warton as I slid down the coast. They said "Can a Tornado come and say hello?" "Delighted", said I. Alongside comes the beast. A quick chat on the R/T to establish we knew each other and I asked if he could 'impresss' my pax at the end. Yes! A reheat rotation alongside, and away he went. Terrific. Mind you, pax loved it but cleaning the pax seats took a while.... =))

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15977 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:44 pm

OneHungLow wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:34 pm
Woody wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:19 pm

Panavia 200. In this case it appears that Fox3 has ejected... =))
Wrong seat!

PP

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15978 Post by OneHungLow » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:46 pm

What, you mean they allowed him in the front seat? :-o

If this scurrilous provocation by me doesn't bring him back then nothing will! :ymdevil:

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15979 Post by Boac » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:54 pm

Let's hope they strapped down the nav's pencils, charts and protractors or they would have blown away =))

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15980 Post by OneHungLow » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:55 pm

Here is the story behind the photograph.

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/the-sto ... anopy-off/