The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

General Chit Chat
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#19461 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:18 am

Morning folks. Looks like everyone has rain including us. Just a shame for our house guest. Genny on again.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19462 Post by Wodrick » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:16 am

Greetings,

Is Friday
19°c, 25°c predicted by the soothsayer.
High haze with chemtrails.

Gardner here, much needed weeding going on.
I hadn’t considered but he is driving the security cameras silly.
45 alerts and rising.

SM off to hospital shortly, Scan to see if they can spot what causes her abdominal pain.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#19463 Post by k3k3 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:22 am

This is the first morning this week when it has not been pouring with rain.

I went to the doctor about my old shoulder injury hurting much more than usual, she booked me for an ultrasound scan in three weeks and told me to use the self referral service for physiotherapy, the earliest date available is in June for a VIRTUAL appointment, what use is that? Now looking to go private.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19464 Post by ricardian » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:05 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:32 am
Greetings,
17°c, 19°c predicted by the soothsayer.
The return of the Dome, not even chemtrails.
Don’t think we will need the Log Burner now until Winter.
Protect BigFoot?
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19465 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:05 pm

Yesterday’s results delayed by mobile internet outage.
10 AM
13 PM

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19466 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:18 pm

Today:

13AM
11PM

iPad does not like doing the quizzes. [-X
Still no resolution of desktop outage. X(

PP

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19467 Post by Karearea » Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:21 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:16 am
SM off to hospital shortly, Scan to see if they can spot what causes her abdominal pain.
Wishing the very best to Mrs Wodrick, I'm sorry this is happening for her.

We get our hour back tonight as Daylight Time ends here - :YMPARTY:
Just rijiklus - sun still half an hour away from rising and I think it's murky anyway so very dark outside.

There is an Issue with the light in the hall, it's one of those new-fangled eco-bulbs and is suddenly running very dim.
It's not long been in there and as I recall there was an Issue with the ceiling fitting at the time, electrician had to replace that to get bulb to work; I'll check that old bill to see when it was and get it checked out before attempting to replace it.
Meanwhile, not using it.
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19468 Post by Wodrick » Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:32 pm

SM has so many problems eyes, wrists, and this abdominal problem which is like trapped wind.
Major organs in the middle bit seem "Normal"

Doctor again on Thursday.

Wishes passed on - Thanks

talmacapt
Capt
Capt

#19469 Post by talmacapt » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:29 pm

What does an Englishman, in Finland, do on Friday evening after dinner? Clear snow.

Another 10/15 cm today, it stopped about 2000, but, if I hadn't sort it out tonight, it would be either a lot of slush or melted and frozen solid by the morning.

Job done, after a few glasses of wine and Elgar, The Dream of Gerontius, on the TV.

There was a particularly nasty shooting at a school, here, on tuesday.

A 12 year old shot and killed one other 12 year old and severely wounded two other 12 year olds.

The pistol belonged to a close relation, father?, and the dead child is? a relation.

The news tonight implied that society has failed the child.

I am a member of society and feel annoyed I am supposed partly responsible.

Lot of arse protecting going on.

Time for bed, said Zebedee.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19470 Post by 1DC » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:30 pm

Overcast on the Humber and a surprising 18C, Grandson came to visit so booked us in the fish and chip restaurant for lunch. Couldn't get parked for damn trippers so had to use a car park where I had to down load an App and then mess with my I phone to pay for it, think I did it ok. Sign of the future I suppose. Wouldn't fancy going across Biscay tonight, blowing a hooly down there! The gale should be up with us tomorrow.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19471 Post by Hydromet » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:16 pm

Good morning all, Heavy rain overnight. We had 144 mm in the last 24 hours and 202mm since the rain started - approx 44 hours. Lots of roads closed hindering evacuations - rubberneckers not helping. The rain has stopped now, but Warragamba, the main dam on the Hawkesbury, started spilling at 0545 this morning and is still rising. Some low-lying areas have started evacuating. Locally, we have a big tree down in the park, damaging a new picnic shelter. News just in is of a large landslip in the Blue Mountains, no one hurt but a small community in Megalong Valley is isolated.

We now have clear blue skies, currently 19C, forecast max 28C.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#19472 Post by Dushan » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:37 pm

talmacapt wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:29 pm

A 12 year old shot and killed one other 12 year old and severely wounded two other 12 year olds.

The pistol belonged to a close relation, father?, and the dead child is? a relation.

I am a member of society and feel annoyed I am supposed partly responsible.

Lot of arse protecting going on.

Time for bed, said Zebedee.
Now you know how we feel every time a shooting happens in US and law abiding gun owners are blamed.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#19473 Post by bob2s » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:52 pm

The rain total for my area is 133mm last 24 hours with a total of 201mm since it started. The dam began to spill at 5 am and is now impacting the river's
ability to handle the flow, the stupidest part of this is that even though they knew this rain event was coming and knew that the dam spilling
impacts low lying areas, no attempt is made to lower the dam prior to predicted rain events, the reason is that it is a rain catchment dam and not a flood
mitigating dam and requires an act of parliament to change it. Does the phrase----- Were from the government and are here to help you ring a bell ^! ?

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19474 Post by Hydromet » Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:33 am

Unfortunately, it's not quite as simple as that, Bob.

I've done flood operation procedures for western dams, but not Warragamba. I've also modelled the Hawkesbury flood hydraulics from the Colo R. to the coast a long time ago, so that's the scope and limits of my experience. Take it for what it's worth.

If you pre-release a meaningful amount, you run the risk of the flood not occurring, and everyone would complain. Probably a small chance on this flood, but I've seen it happen (the flood not occurring) on other dams. You can get away with it on dams where the flood has a fair way to travel, but not on Warragamba.

If you pre-release from Warragamba, you'll hold up the Colo, which may be coming down earlier than the water from the dam. There is a choke at Freemans Reach, so the river level is held up by that and pre-releases have a significant effect above there. Also, the river is tidal up to the Colo, and under some conditions the tidal effect is amplified above Freemans, so you would have to adjust your releases to allow for that, and time of travel between Warragamba and Freemans. I'm not sure how easy that would be.

I'm not sure what the maximum possible release from the dam is while staying within the banks, but you'd have to pre-release for quite a while to make any appreciable difference to the maximum flood level.

If the dam is low, you probably don't need to pre-release, but if it's high you need to do so for quite a while. If a storage is both water supply and flood mitigation, it helps to consider the flood mit part of the storage sitting on top of the water supply storage. The aim is to operate the dam so that during the flood, you can store some flood water above Full Supply Level, (FSL) then slowly release it until the dam is back at FSL. You have to release enough to make sure that the dam doesn't overtop the wall causing structural failure, but not release so much that the dam finishes the flood below FSL. These numbers may be complicated by flow limits downstream, tributary inflows and tides. Think Wivernhoe Dam a few years ago. Warragamba's not quite as complicated as that I don't think (says he who's never planned the operation of either). All these things should be planned ahead, and once the flood starts, there should be no political interference on the operators. I don't think that's happened here, but apparently it did at Wivernhoe.

One thing I'm not sure of is how the dam is operated these days. There was, a long time ago, a law that said that a flood release had to be the same as the inflow. This was so the government couldn't be sued for making the flood worse. That's fine, but you run the risk of releasing too much and finishing with the dam below FSL I hope that has been changed. For any flood inflow at any time. This can allow you to release water knowing that even if you get the minimum amount of future inflow, you'll finish with the dam at FSL.

I Hope this helps. It's a simplification, but if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#19475 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:22 am

Morning folks. Fog first thing, very rare, now lifted and sun breaking through. To the airport next for our friend to leave for Amorgos. MUB, JNB, ZRH, ATH then 8 hrs on a ship. Hopefully see her there in September.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19476 Post by OFSO » Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:02 am

Woke from a dream where I'd found a small piece of fired terra cotta sculpture, utterly beautiful, tiny woman's head surrounded by her hair forming a cage around her face. In reality, impossible to make in terra cotta - I asked Mrs OFSO, the sculptress. Came to breakfast, clip on breakfast TV about a sculptor, he had shelves of terra cotta heads in the background. Mine not there.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19477 Post by Wodrick » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:57 am

Greetings,
24°c, 27°c predicted by the soothsayer.
Calima, viz <4km, interestingly LEMG is giving CAVOK.
LEMG is about 45km to my West.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19478 Post by Pinky the pilot » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:24 am

I know what I'd like to say re the above but I suspect I'd stir up a Hornets Nest.

Now you know how we feel every time a shooting happens in US and law abiding gun owners are blamed.
Roger that! :-bd
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#19479 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:30 pm

Afternoon folks just seen our guest off at the airport. I knew from FR24 her flight was running 45 mins late out of JNB. The very rude and abrupt check in bitch insisted it was on time. I was not allowed to argue.

Had drinkies with our elderly disabled friend who was robbed, beaten up and tortured last month. The coppers got all three. One legged it and got shot. He is in ICU. Not much hope for him in our hospital. She hopes he lives with, as they say, life changing injuries.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19480 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:30 pm

12 AM
7 PM

PP