Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#7121 Post by Wodrick » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:34 am

Good morning all,

25c might hit the promised 26c.
Cloudless.

Normal Sunday, floors, ritual then as commanded by a mind immeasurably more powerful than mine.

SM is doing bedding as mañana we is off to see surgeon, fust revisit.

On a revised schedule El Kosovan, not Serb, should start external work tomorrow. The Garage has grown his equipment which is a start.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7122 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:36 am

Morning folks. Clear but windy. Annoying leak on the cistern of the loo in the safari bathroom. Stone floor so not damaging anything. There is now silicon sealant all over it and me. Not sure yet if fixed.

27 bats today and noisy hippos. They communicate 70% of the time underwater so it must be very noisy down there.

Impressive list of Aircraft there Ibbie. Glad to see the VC10 in there. Guess it was BOAC livery.

Safari camp for a few beers.

See 17 people have died in a Cape Town night club. Cause unknown.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7123 Post by OFSO » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:43 am

For the lounge-lizards, boulevardiers, and poseurs here - if you buy i-phones and Teslas, this means you - probabably - and wish to impress your neighbours - which you do, otherwise you would not buy hyped and ludicrously expensive products - Aldi has a rip-off of the Dyson bladeless fan on sale, made in China of course, and at a fraction of the price Dyson has the Impudence to charge. I bought one this morning. It looks good, is powerful on all settings, and inaudible except on full blast. Dyson price £339 Aldi price £51 or €59.

Well done Aldi!

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7124 Post by Hydromet » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:26 am

OFSO wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:50 pm
Yes, Fox, I know about the radioactive element. It has to be disposed of properly, ie by chucking it into a French car parked with the windows open.
Didn't realise you were a New Zealander, OFSO.😁

Fine with a little cloud here today, but only 18C.
Spent some time sorting out a problem with Mr. Apple, only to find another that he can't fix. Apparently it's a new "design feature." Whatever happened to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7125 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:40 am

Three decades ago I experienced a stomach ulcer, manifested by black faeces (among other symptoms).

After surgery, I now take appropriate medication as a preventative prophylaxis.

Today I was shocked and horrified to observe black faeces - and went into sudden fear and depression.

After lengthy consideration as to possible causes I recalled yesterday eating ice-cream in black wafer cones . . .

I hope that that is the explanation.

ribrash

#7126 Post by ribrash » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:49 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:40 am
Three decades ago I experienced a stomach ulcer, manifested by black faeces (among other symptoms).

Today I was shocked and horrified to observe black faeces - and went into sudden fear and depression.

After lengthy consideration as to possible causes I recalled yesterday eating ice-cream in black wafer cones . . .

...Or you drank a goodly quantity of draft Guinness. :-bd

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7127 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:22 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:43 am
buy hyped and ludicrously expensive products
Yesterday Iceland (a UK retailer of mostly frozen foods, but also some other stuff) were charging a fiver for a 500gm pack of Lurpak.

We make our own butter from raw milk which we get for nowt from a neighbouring farmer. Cost = £0.00/kilo.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7128 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:28 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Working on the Trans Med pipeline off Sicily in the early 1980s I had a similar fright. Then I remembered that the previous day we'd had calamari cooked in squid ink for supper.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7129 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:18 pm

There is a great dish in Greece which I can't remember the name of (RiS?) Beetroot with garlic potato or bread. You piss red afterwards.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7130 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:17 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:18 pm
There is a great dish in Greece which I can't remember the name of (RiS?) Beetroot with garlic potato or bread. You piss red afterwards.
It is called skordalia, I think. I make very clear a dish of this delicacy and myself are to be in a different room.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7131 Post by llondel » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:45 pm

OFSO wrote:
For the lounge-lizards, boulevardiers, and poseurs here - if you buy i-phones and Teslas, this means you - probabably - and wish to impress your neighbours - which you do, otherwise you would not buy hyped and ludicrously expensive products - Aldi has a rip-off of the Dyson bladeless fan on sale, made in China of course, and at a fraction of the price Dyson has the Impudence to charge. I bought one this morning. It looks good, is powerful on all settings, and inaudible except on full blast. Dyson price £339 Aldi price £51 or €59.

Well done Aldi!
The flip side of that is that it may have cost Dyson a million quid in R&D to figure it out and they're trying to recover the investment. The Chinese manufacturer, meanwhile, had no R&D cost beyond going and buying a couple of Dyson fans and reverse-engineering them.

Or, as happened to a company I worked for, a competing product came out which happened to have a similar feature to one in our product. We bought one, stripped it down, to find something that looked very similar but the mechanics of that feature were slightly different. The killer, however, was discovering that the PCB in that part of the system had one of our part numbers etched into the copper and was identical to ours apart from a different silk screen logo. Or another company, where the export manager returned from Africa with a couple of boards that looked like ours but were branded with the name of an Indian company. they worked perfectly in our system and it was clear that it was a direct copy, just changing the logo on the PCB and hacking the software in the eproms to overwrite the text string of our company name with theirs. That one was somewhat self-inflicted though, turns out they'd previously been in talks with the Indian manufacturer about having them build the product, so had given them all the design information. This is why I always think there's a hidden cost to outsourcing manufacturer to some of these cheap places, it sort of guarantees that there will be cheap competition within a year.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7132 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:58 pm

Still grounded from doing me canal stuff.

Having a hurty back has allowed me to finish a model aeroplane than Mrs 4ma gave me at Xmas. T'is the first one I've built in donkeys years (and if you look closely, it shows). Pepsi can used as a size guide.
IMG_2999.JPG
IMG_2999.JPG (207.4 KiB) Viewed 264 times
It's always my fault - SWMBO

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7133 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:36 pm

Done a recce of the location of next week's presentation by PN's charity. Lovely day, nice and sunny and the silence of the place was broken only by birdsong.
IMG_3006 copy.jpg
IMG_3006 copy.jpg (118.85 KiB) Viewed 259 times
It's always my fault - SWMBO

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7134 Post by ricardian » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:41 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:22 pm
So you are in the market for a new alarm and you better buy it soon...
Up here there's a new law about smoke alarms so I now have 3 smoke alarms (living room, bedroom, corridor) and a flame alarm in the kitchen. I've had carbon monoxide detectors in all rooms for several years.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7135 Post by ricardian » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:42 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:46 pm
One has been "selected" to accept the very kind donation to me canal society from PN's charity.
Interesting video about replacing some lock gates
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7136 Post by ricardian » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:47 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Were you taking "Bisodol"?
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7137 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:43 pm

Ah, new laws.
I'm sure all those skyscraper tower blocks you have on Stronsay will be much safer now, Ricardian.
Ineffective legislation, expensive administration, and enforcement thereof, will soon fix the problem permanently. Nobody will be able to afford a house.
Meanwhile, I practically had to swim through the humidity today. Fortunately most of the mossies were pretty lethargic too. Got my tomatoes trimmed, assorted weeding done, then got my weather station remounted atop a new pole. The local weather forecast are now so poor on occasions that I am better off sacrificing my own chickens. Retired to the cool of the house around lunchtime, and have started using my own-produced ingredients - coriander in the salad and oregano in the spag bol.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7138 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:10 pm

ricardian wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:47 pm

Were you taking "Bisodol"?
At the time I was taking multiple medications, including heavy doses of Ibuprofen (part of a GP-prescribed treatment for chronic pain following major thoracic surgery).

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7139 Post by Hydromet » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:36 pm

OFSO wrote:
For the lounge-lizards, boulevardiers, and poseurs here .....
What about us flaneurs? Feeling left out here.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7140 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:39 pm

OFSO wrote:
Aldi has a rip-off of the Dyson bladeless fan on sale, made in China of course, and at a fraction of the price Dyson has the Impudence to charge.
Google/YouTube ads are probably the worst for that sort of thing. They shamelessly advertise outright ripoffs.

Here's Bruce Simpson having a bit of rant about the matter: