The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

General Chit Chat
Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#661 Post by Woody » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:19 pm

Lovely late summer afternoon spent on the banks of The Thames at Runnymede, for some reason there was a small flotilla of Dunkirk Little Ships on the river :-bd

When all else fails, read the instructions.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#662 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:26 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:34 pm
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:26 am
..... that the Tiger Moth that mushed in here last week, hit before tipping upside down and crashing.....
Hope it wasn't G-ACDC? If so it's the oldest Tiger Moth still flying and not the first time it's been on its back! (Neville Browning at Rochester in '63.)
Neville Browning is still a legend in my neck of the woods. He used to farm just down the road at Fyfield and would often insist on asking one of his students from Stapleford to fly him down to the farm where he would pull a PFL on the unsuspecting innocent who was then expected to land so that Neville could go give orders to his various farm staff. Also infamous for his circuits flown upside down at Stapelford. He often used to take his dog up with him. Killed, in his 70's, when the spar on his Zlin gave way while perfoming aerobatics. He was a personal friend of one of my neighbours who often talks of him with a great deal of repect and nostalgia.

NB.JPG
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#663 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:17 am

CharlieOneSix wrote:
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
..... that the Tiger Moth that mushed in here last week, hit before tipping upside down and crashing.....
Hope it wasn't G-ACDC? If so it's the oldest Tiger Moth still flying and not the first time it's been on its back! (Neville Browning at Rochester in '63.)
Sorry C16, I did not really answer your question. I believe it was one of the Aero Legends Tiger Moths but have not ascertained precisely which one. Their website, interestingly notes 3 Tiger Moths but only shows two at the moment.

https://www.aerolegends.co.uk/the-aircraft/
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#664 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:11 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:17 am
CharlieOneSix wrote:
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Sorry C16, I did not really answer your question. I believe it was one of the Aero Legends Tiger Moths but have not ascertained precisely which one. Their website, interestingly notes 3 Tiger Moths but only shows two at the moment.

https://www.aerolegends.co.uk/the-aircraft/
I really hope it is not G-AOIR, the Jackaroo often seen, in pristine condition at the airfield...

https://www.aerolegends.co.uk/news/rare ... o-legends/

Tiger Moth G-ANDE was being restored by the owner of Aero Legends back in 2017.

http://goactionstations.co.uk/tiger-mot ... -update-9/

I guess the simplest way to answer this question is to text the chap who told me about the accident (which I will do later today), described as sounding like an almighty crash, akin to a load of rubble being dropped into a skip. I hear the aircraft concerned was trucked off to an off-field maintenance/restoration shop, so whatever it was, there might be some hope that it is not a complete write off! As we well know, Tiger Moths are very resilient aircraft, and can often be repaired in cases where other types would be written off.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#665 Post by OFSO » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:28 am

Morning all. Calm and partly cloudy. The Pilotus and Twotter at the drop zone not up yet, few cars to be seen down below and Something Menacing moored out in the Bay. Gunboat perhaps, getting ready to chase off Froggy trawlers tomorrow morning.

Correction: it's a massive deep-sea tug.

The vessel AILETTE (IMO: 8104216, MMSI 227246000) is a Offshore Tug/Supply Ship built in 1982 (39 years old) and currently sailing under the flag of France.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#666 Post by OFSO » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:01 am

ship-photo.jpg

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#667 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:06 am

Woody, I googled the Association of Little Ships. At first I thought it might have been delayed from May. Seems it is an annual gathering and possibly late summer as they are very active visiting all over during the summer and as far as Poole.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#668 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:58 am

Wodrick wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:57 pm
Greetings,
normal summer's day crystal, 30c just 36%.

Little brother and his management have gone to Barbados for their wedding anniversary.

She was +ve on arrival and is now in an isolation horsepitil without symptoms.
LB is Isolated in his hotel. Both until 18th at least.
They were due back on 15th.

Happy anniversary.

Edit to add no symptoms
Good morning all.

I hope they will complete the trip without further issues. All the best

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#669 Post by OFSO » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:09 am

My BIL and SIL are on their way to W. Greece right this minute. Said Heathrow very busy.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#670 Post by Woody » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:11 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:06 am
Woody, I googled the Association of Little Ships. At first I thought it might have been delayed from May. Seems it is an annual gathering and possibly late summer as they are very active visiting all over during the summer and as far as Poole.
MrsWoody saw a post on the book of faces and as it was a lovely afternoon we wondered down to Runnymede, quite a few people were more organised than us, picnic tables and Union Flags set up on the riverbank, possibly the most normal event that I’ve seen in the last 18 months, but I’ll definitely keep an eye out for it in the future :D

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#671 Post by Woody » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:14 am

OFSO wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:09 am
My BIL and SIL are on their way to W. Greece right this minute. Said Heathrow very busy.
BA set to operate their highest number of flights since March last year today, they phoned me up during the week and I might be required to attend within the next few weeks :-o

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#672 Post by handsfree » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:18 am

Morning everybody.
Mainly cloudy but a bit of sun to be sun.
No rain forecast today. 14°C at present, tops 19°C.

We have invited Mrs HF's pal around for Sunday lunch today as she is off to the Dermatologist tomorrow
to have a suspicious patch of skin looked at. We shall try to distract her with grub and booze.
Toad in the hole with champ and some of those vitamin bearing things and gallons of onion gravy
scrounged from the local pub. Can't better Monique's gravy so why try.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#673 Post by Wodrick » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:37 am

Greetings gentlefolk,
Same as ever, crystal, 26c guess 29c.

Routine Sunday, floors, ritual, GP, Shepherd's Pie. Vigil.

SM in a moment of idle chat professed a liking for Lambs Liver.
I found some in Mucky Donna and did it with Bacon in an onion gravy (Two Bikers)
I always thought of Lambs Liver in the same way I think of soles of shoe. Enthusiastic Mother.
This was delicious, tender, just pink in the centre, and the gravy was tremendous.

I feel for LB, he is ducks arse, another 6 days+ on room service in BGI will kill him !
SIL reports the horsepitil is worse than grim. She shares a room with four Barbadians all not jabbed.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#674 Post by Wodrick » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:43 am

Torre del Mar air show today too.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#675 Post by Ibbie » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:39 am

Morning folks.
Got back last night after getting through the chaos at Malaga airport, after surviving the stupidity of Southampton airport management, Swissport and BA. You couldn't make it up.

They were useless the lot of them. The Airport Duty Manager was stood just watching it happen in front of him.

After the superb experience from easyJet Europe, Gatwick Airport assistance staff and same people from Southern Railway on inbound trip, a great disappointment. Flight arrived 45 early. Assistance man took me in electric truck from North T, through controls and bag collection, to train station at South T. Staff there again brilliant and put me on earlier train to Southampton, arriving there an hour before I was scheduled to.

Just been to restock at Aldi, Lidl and Overseas. Going to daughter's bar for some lunch after repairing the broken lock door plate to front door. The doorstop that has somehow come up in my absence will be tackled tomorrow. Don't know how Mrs IB does it! ~X(

The coast road through Benalmadena to Fuengirola is to be avoided today, as there is a demonstration against the two councils having turned the whole road into single lane in both directions with the inside lanes made into parking.

Noted that the cruise market has sprung back to life in last few days at Southampton with severial departures and arrivals of floating multi story hotels. Sun Princess was an interesting departure, as it is fitted with a multi note honker and plays tunes as it departs

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#676 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:16 am

Morning folks. Seems quite pleasant outside so a bit of horticultural activity is planned - planting winter flowering pansies in the hanging baskets and putting a dwarf apple tree into a planter.

Mrs 4ma was watching some programme last night which featured Jane McDonald doing a boat trip into Fingal's Cave. JM was impressed with the natural acoustics of the cave and gave this beautifully sung rendition of 'Amazing Grace'.

It's always my fault - SWMBO

reddo
Capt
Capt

#677 Post by reddo » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:14 am

Ah yes. Airports. I feel for the workers as they have to be there every day. Most passengers just want to check in and sod off. Some pax are just utterly moronic. I swear they have not watched the news in the past 18 months.
Given that the details change often, I don't blame the staff for checking or calling their manager*. I just practice deep breathing and remind myself that if I don't fly, it's not the end of the world. Return trip, different matter :D So far, it's all worked out ok.
I haven't even had many hassles with Heathrow Immigration. It's so much better now the PLF is "attached" to your passport.

*there was one check in person at Lisbon airport a month ago who was clearly a slow learner. They'd dealt with a BA pilot who is positioning and the check in boss said that he's fine to travel. 5 minutes later. My turn. Exactly the same rigmarole. I practiced 5 min of deep breathing and staring off into space zenning my mind. All sorted and I was on my way.

fareastdriver
Snr FO
Snr FO

#678 Post by fareastdriver » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:18 am

RIP María Mendiola, taken too soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbWaZHLjzms

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#679 Post by EA01 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:28 am

I don't do deep breathing Reddo, lest I suck it in....i'm more a dollop of sanitiser in the palm of the hand dipping little finger in, placing little finger in nostril and inhaling until nostrils burn...same to the ears (ENT and all that...), this also with surgical gown, latex gloves, masks & Face shields....and a heap of sanitiser & alcohol swabs for everything!

I have seen, and been in very close contact with some very sick people recently....touch wood, nothing yet ails me....

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#680 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:36 pm

Boo hoo!
Last bottle of German lager all the way from Netherlands. Cheap Chinese can opener and bottle opener. No 1 failure and opened bottle hit hard floor.