The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#9121 Post by OFSO » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:57 am

Our friends up at Molló asked a family down the lower end - extremely steep streets - when they had a mesh net outside their front door. "Oh that's to catch grandpa if he's coming back too fast with his wheeled zimmer frame and can't stop". Not a joke. The streets are also extremely narrow - one car's width - the Alcalde is having hand rails fitted to the outside house walls to help old people or everyone in winter weather.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9122 Post by Wodrick » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:37 am

Good Moaning All,
guess 24c, currently around 23c 70%

There is no published plan for today at present.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9123 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:19 am

I am determined to clear out the rodents in my country property, which were ubiquitous when I bought it.
Last winter, after a blitz in January, I got all of them that were in and around the house.
This year, I have been able to wage a more comprehensive campaign.
All squirrels and chipmunks have been trapped within 2 days of arriving (I have big woods nearby), and in the last couple of days I've started on the barn.
Five voles and 3 mice caught in 2 nights.
What's been a great help is a hunting trail camera, which is motion triggered and uses InfraRed at night.
I now know what the little beggars are up to, and can conveniently review things over my morning coffee instead of staying up half the night. I am building and positioning better traps.
Biggest problem is that the bait can be stolen from the bigger traps by the smaller rodents, and the bigger rodents set off but aren't bothered by the smaller traps.
Chipmunks are bloody clever.
I am aided by a couple of cats, two dogs, and foxes, which regularly come over and patrol my lot, and keep the general numbers down.
Skunks are great. They turn up only in September, eat all the grubs and groundwasps, then leave.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#9124 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:24 am

OFSO wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:57 am
Our friends up at Molló asked a family down the lower end - extremely steep streets - when they had a mesh net outside their front door. "Oh that's to catch grandpa if he's coming back too fast with his wheeled zimmer frame and can't stop". Not a joke.
=))

Survived town. Think I only had to use the horn three times. The work that needs doing to the Prado which is essential is going to be 1,000 quid labour alone. He wants to discuss other work that needs doing. He is a Brit for goodness sake I said just do it. But no, I have to take the car in next week when we pick up the Pajero
and he want so put it onto a pit and show me. I don't care. I didn't ask my passengers how they wanted me to fly the aircraft. I want him to just get on with it and invoice me. He says that this is not the way he does things. ~X(
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9125 Post by Woody » Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:39 pm

When all else fails, read the instructions.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9126 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:29 pm

Woody wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:39 pm
Can’t believe that nobody has posted about this before :-o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-63125242

https://explore.org/livecams/brown-bears
Someone did, just with a different caption. :ymdevil:

https://scontent.fgba1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=6342C49E

PP

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9127 Post by John Hill » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:25 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:24 am
But no, I have to take the car in next week when we pick up the Pajero
and he want so put it onto a pit and show me. I don't care. I didn't ask my passengers how they wanted me to fly the aircraft. I want him to just get on with it and invoice me. He says that this is not the way he does things. .
Most paying passengers pay in advance and they will be happy if you fly them to the agreed destination but you can be assured that some of them at least will make loud protest if you leave them somewhere else.

Now the car repair man is protecting himself against scrots who may argue the invoice on the grounds of unnecessary work or replacement items so please do not make his life hard and do take part in the initial survey which is all part of forming the agreement for work to be done.

My local repair shop, which is a dealership, does not offer me to join in a pre-work survey but they may still remember what happened when I found they had invoiced me for work that was not done (or maybe not as that was decades ago).
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9128 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:56 pm

My mechanic always shows me the bits he's replaced. There's no doubt about how long he's taken as I'm usually sat on an old sofa by the woodstove in the shop drinking coffee and stroking his dog's ears whilst he's doing it.
Labour is about 25 pounds an hour, fault-finding always takes less than 5 minutes as I have an identical truck to his own.
Repair options include new genuine part, new aftermarket part (may be better than genuine), used part from pile of scrapped vehicles out back, repair existing part, bypass it, and ignore it, tell no one, and drive (even more) carefully.
Annual Inspections consist of me listening to the Inspector's stories and pouring him coffee whilst my mechanic taps all the mechanicals, does an oil change, and replaces a single, small item to show earnest - it may be a bulb, or a wiper blade. The vast acreages of rust are ignored by all.
This was the same story at the other place I used to live. The mechanic there was so conscientious that he used to put his cigarette down before working on the fuel system!

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#9129 Post by bob2s » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:17 am

This coming Sunday is the day the best car racing event of the year is held, the Bathurst 1000. The expected weather will have a significant impact
given the entrail readers' statement of up to 100mil of the wet stuff falling from the sky. The conditions on the 6k track can vary substantially, it may
be bone dry on the pit straight but pouring rain at the top of the mountain where the trickiest part of the track is, a good example is in the attachment.
The first video gives a great description of what the mountain is all about
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... t+panorama

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9130 Post by Ibbie » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:08 am

Morning Folks.
Another of life's markers is upon Mrs IB and I today, our 50th Wedding Anniversary.
We are celebrating by both going to the hairdressers.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9131 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:11 am

bob2s wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:17 am
This coming Sunday is the day the best car racing event of the year is held, the Bathurst 1000. The expected weather will have a significant impact
given the entrail readers' statement of up to 100mil of the wet stuff falling from the sky. The conditions on the 6k track can vary substantially, it may
be bone dry on the pit straight but pouring rain at the top of the mountain where the trickiest part of the track is, a good example is in the attachment.
The first video gives a great description of what the mountain is all about
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... t+panorama
I have watched the Bathhurst 1000 a couple of times on TV from the comfort of my little perch in the UK. That mountain section is mighty! I also used to enjoy the street race in Townsville.

Used to enjoy the action in the V8 Supercars Championship with my favourite driver being Kiwi Shane Von Gisbergen, who drives sportscars in Europe from time to time, but haven't watched since the series morphed into Repco Supercars. I see that Aussie Michael Masi who screwed up Lewis Hamiton's F1 world championship last year is now a senior bigwig in the Supercars series having been "let go" by F1 (or rather the FIA).

Good to see that Repco are still going. As a kid I used to support John Love who drove a Repco Brabham in the South African F1 championship until Dave Charlton bested him in later years in his Cosworth powered Lotus 72 D.

John Love2.JPG
John Love1.JPG
Edited to say - my old man owned a Holden in South Africa for a time. Now that Holden have gone what do the Ford and former Holden fans fight about now on the racing scene there in Oz? ;)))
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9132 Post by OFSO » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:39 am

Congratulations to Mr and Mrs Ibbie! Wow, fifty years.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9133 Post by Karearea » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:50 am

Ibbie wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:08 am
Morning Folks.
Another of life's markers is upon Mrs IB and I today, our 50th Wedding Anniversary.
We are celebrating by both going to the hairdressers.
Felicitations and congratulations to the Ibbies on their Golden Wedding anniversary!
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9134 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:05 am

Congrats on the Auric anniversary to Ibbie and his better half.
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9135 Post by OFSO » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:17 am

I forgot our 25th wedding anniversary this year and hence didn't buy a gift. To learn that a haircut each is regarded as suitable for a 50th has eased my guilt. Especially as we also had haircuts shortly afterward.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9136 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:21 am

OFSO wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:17 am
I forgot our 25th wedding anniversary this year and hence didn't buy a gift. To learn that a haircut each is regarded as suitable for a 50th has eased my guilt. Especially as we also had haircuts ***** afterward.
So she cut your head off? Well, I am glad to see your well-deserved impediment has not stopped you posting! ;)))

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#9137 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:47 am

Morning Folks. Congrats Mr & Mrs Ibbie. I wonder how many marriages these days will make 50. Certainly not Ginge and Nutmeg.

Warm and windy. 30C, 38C promised. It was like sitting Infront of a hair drier yesterday afternoon. Mammoth watering going on.

In case you can't read the below after reducing it.
Kwara International VIP Lounge
Attachments
Sign.jpg
Sign.jpg (119.46 KiB) Viewed 376 times
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9138 Post by Wodrick » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:51 am

Good Moaning All,
Congratulations *Ibbies* we only manage being together 26years, married 14 is all.

Just 20c 70% guess is 26c. High haze.

On this day in 1919 KLM Royal Dutch Airlines was established and is the oldest existing Airline still operating I believe.
Good record too.

Is Friday
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9139 Post by Woody » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:14 am

Brilliant foresight from the IBBIE’S planning your 50th Wedding Anniversary for a Friday , congratulations to you both ^:)^
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9140 Post by Ibbie » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:47 am

Thanks for the congrats folks.

Meal with family at Montemar Carvery tonight.

Before that out for drink tokens, coffee and trip to flower cabin where Mrs IB can pick her own flowers rather than me arrive with a bunch she might/might not like.

Fuengirola Feria starts today, usually means there will be rain this coming week. Forecast today is wildly out, as it's a clear blue sky and not the total cloud suggested would be upon us.

50 years ago tonight we were on board a BEA Airtours Comet 4B on our way to Mallorca.