The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

General Chit Chat
TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#9061 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:42 am

Taking a bit of a country walk later to attend the airfield memorial opening at Willingale. The Sunday weather Gods have decreed fog and clag but who knows, Ra might win out later! All hail the sun God, beneficial protector of the seas of sand and hope.

EGSS 020501Z 0206/0312 23010KT 9999 SCT040 BECMG 0206/0209 32005KT PROB30 0206/0208 8000 PROB40 0300/0309 6000 PROB30 0303/0308 3000 BR BECMG 0310/0312 20010KT

Seems Ra heard me...

Ra sign.JPG
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9062 Post by OFSO » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:57 am

Out to lunch after exciting morning repairing, or starting to look at, all defects in the house that happened as the Mem' walked round. Cleared sand out of gutters, brought up and deposited by the tornado in August. Gutters need replacing, not by me, set that in motion. Removed leaking plastic waste pipe on one of the sinks, will buy new one when I get back here next week. They last about five years. Looked at extractor hood fan, can't find defect. Made up two labels for two replacement sculptures to go down to the Exhibition.

I need cloning.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9063 Post by Wodrick » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:11 am

G'day,

wandering around 20c guess is 26c, maybe later.

Normal Sunday, floors, ritual, GP with the loss of SKY it's radio 5.

Having a forgotten password day, things are not recognising passwords I think I know are correct.

Pork tenderloin marinaded in Ras el Hanout.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9064 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:19 pm

This picture guarantees a full order book for both the window manufacturer and the installer, probably for life.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9065 Post by llondel » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:31 pm

Did a bit of car maintenance today. finally got around to replacing the front brake pads on my car. Except it was also a lesson. I did one and supervised my son doing the other. Then sent him off to drive it round the block after warning that braking performance will be less than he's used to until the brakes bed in. Then I replaced the engine air filter and fixed a problem with one of the indicators. The cat took an interest around that time.
photo_2022-10-02_14-28-25.jpg
Yes, that is a Haynes manual for the car, I was trying to figure out exactly how to get to the indicator bulb and it described the yoga manoeuvre I needed to perform.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9066 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:05 pm

Clever cat - obviously didn't need the manual.

"Pass me the 12 mil socket, thanks, and a scratch behind the ears whilst you're about it"

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9067 Post by Wodrick » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:51 am

Good Moaning,
22c, grismerable. Guess 28c, I scoff.

Naturally no precipitation. Negligible wind too.

Going to have to complain about the TV today picture and sound breaking up.
I have trouble with James Nesbitt when he playing on his ethnicity, last night he was impossible.

That's it at the moment another week starts.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#9068 Post by limeygal » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:55 am

Seems the IF has decreed 3.30 am as my time to wake up. Don't get tired during the day either-seems like 6 hours kip is my new normal.

Having a stress test today. Cardiologist makes me have one every 3 or so years. That's 4 hours out of my life I'll never get back. Oh well, needs must. I have a good book, so I can entertain myself.

Youngest daughter coming to stay for a couple of weeks. I shall have to have a quick whip round with the duster. One thing I have learned over the years about housework-if you keep everything tidy and put away, nobody notices a bit a dust. Just don't move anything! You can have the cleanest house in the world, but if you have clutter, that's what people notice. Well, I do. That is your housework tip of the day.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9069 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:50 am

An interesting morning. An electrician arrived first thing to sort out why power from a socket under the work surfaces in the utility room would not stay on for more than a few minutes. I was convinced a mouse had got in and chewed the house wiring but no, it turned out the socket had gone faulty. Chap used to be an RAF helicopter engineer who serviced Wessex in Northern Ireland at the time of the 'troubles'. His father, now 94, used to be a BOAC VC10 pilot. Ex-A would approve! Long chat over a cuppa, most enjoyable.

I so agree with limeygal about clutter in a house being obvious whereas a clean house can go unnoticed. I wish Mrs C16 would take note - she has been rushing around like a loony clearing up all her work in progress craft projects before my brother arrives from Devon today for a few days of beer drinking. Craft projects are spread out in three rooms usually...and she will complain she can't find anything once bro has left. Thank goodness I have a workshop behind the garage in which I can hide away.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9070 Post by OFSO » Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:58 pm

#9041. All sorts of trees up here, everything. Forests in every direction. Surprisingly no snow on the high peaks.

talmacapt
Capt
Capt

#9071 Post by talmacapt » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:24 pm

C16.

Who was the BOAC VC10 man?

Probably knew or even flew with him.

PM if you don't want to publish it.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#9072 Post by k3k3 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:14 pm

If I got into the habit of enjoying a wee dram of this regularly I would very soon be bankrupt:
Attachments
309972221_10221854108325184_7327767929411066913_n.jpg

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#9073 Post by Groundgripper » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:53 pm

I guess that currency isn't the Vietnamese Dong or the Iranian Rial, then.

GG

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9074 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:11 pm

talmacapt - PM sent.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#9075 Post by k3k3 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:15 pm

Groundgripper wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:53 pm
I guess that currency isn't the Vietnamese Dong or the Iranian Rial, then.

GG
Nope, it's Euro in the Netherlands.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#9076 Post by jimtherev » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:03 pm

Well, I'm wondering if I've wasted £175.
Signed up for a course of lessons (they call them 'observed drives') and an advanced driving test with the Institute of Advanced Motorists.
On me railway I've successively demoted myself from driver to guard to fat controller to ticket office clerk as my health got more and more dodgy (Any of those people have to be prepared to 'run in circles, scream and shout' when things go tits-up), and I can't guarantee that sort of action any more, so it's bye bye the Midland Railway I'm afraid, at least as a participant.
So I thought, I bet that after 65 years driving I've got a lot of bad habits: what are they? I might even get to learn some new tricks.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9077 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:43 pm

Jim - I thoroughly enjoyed my advanced driving course. Did it when I was 72 and like you thought it was time to get checked out after decades of accumulating some bad habits. Blowing my own trumpet - I got what they call a F1RST pass which about 5% of examinees get. The most difficult thing was commentating out loud the whole time I was driving. Incidentally a 92 year old passed the test on the course before me!

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9078 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:29 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:19 pm
This picture guarantees a full order book for both the window manufacturer and the installer, probably for life.

I've forwarded that one to my sister in Port Charlotte, FLA. She has one of those seawater canalside propertities.

My nephew is a pilot with one of those 'shared' jet companies. He wangled a flight down to Punta Gorda and more or less force-marched his mother onto the aircraft and flew her in 'his' aircraft and flew her out to Texas before the windypuff kicked in.

He's a good lad.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9079 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:40 am

k3k3 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:14 pm
If I got into the habit of enjoying a wee dram of this regularly I would very soon be bankrupt:

Did I ever tell you about my prison-mate in Audi Sarabia?

My vintner reckons that he's single-handedly driven up the worldwide price of Mac30 by several hundred percent.

Lang may his sandals reek (not the vintner, the other guy).

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9080 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:40 am

Did my Advanced Driving Test when they first started, early 60's ?? No "course" just applied for a test, and if getting a pass then one was allowed to become a member. Couldn't have been driving for more than a few years, I had to drive on the first few miles of the M.1 that had just opened to show that I could cope with the then new concept of high speed motorways. I too found the running commentary difficult, but managed a pass anyway. I got a red badge to attach to my rear bumper, to show how superior I was ! ( actually I did it to take advantage of cheaper insurance available to members in those days)

Not long afterwards there was a comment in the organisations magazine from someone suggesting that there should be a Super Advanced Test, rewarded with a blue badge, to show super superiority over ordinary members. I decided that I didn't want to be associated with that sort of attitude and cancelled my membership. ( but didn' tell my Insurance Co. after all I had proved that I was a competent driver, so why should I continue as a Member just to gain a rebate ? ) Can't remember what membership cost, maybe around £10. which was probably about equivalent to your £175 ?

Recently, around age 85, I voluntarily underwent an NZ AA Aged Driver Assessment, which satisfied the examiner, who also agreed with me that Give Way doesn't necessarily mean Stop, but Do Not Impede The Passage Of ..... this comment as a result of my complaing that NZ drivers all seem to be obliged to stop approaching a roundabout in town even if any approaching traffic is still some way off. He said that if applicants for a licence do that, he fails them.

So why can't I hire a car now because of my age ? I know, blxxdy Insurance companies, but I have 71 years experience and no bad driving record,yes a couple of minor speeding infringements at the lower end of speed limits, but who hasn't, never lost my licence. Ageism sucks.