CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#12581 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:08 am

Wodrick wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:28 am
What has happened to *TGA* ?
My understanding is that having complied with Admin2's request to only post music videos in the appropriate thread, for some reason he was then recently further requested not to post more than one link to a video in an eight hour period.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12582 Post by Wodrick » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:28 am

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:08 am
Wodrick wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:28 am
What has happened to *TGA* ?
My understanding is that having complied with Admin2's request to only post music videos in the appropriate thread, for some reason he was then recently further requested not to post more than one link to a video in an eight hour period.
I miss his sensible posts, tales of the egg beater etc. The music doesn't bother me most of the artists I have never even heard of.

Not vetting at present if breakfast remains where it is meant to be.

admin2
Capt
Capt

#12583 Post by admin2 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:35 am

C16 wrote:My understanding is that having complied with Admin2's request to only post music videos in the appropriate thread, for some reason he was then recently further requested not to post more than one link to a video in an eight hour period.
Not quite. Following yet another outbreak (of many) of excessive video posting (19 videos in 2 hrs 44 minutes back in February and a music video inserted in a different thread to the one set up for music links in 2015) I asked him to try to control his outbursts and limit himself to 1 ('soundtrack') post every 8 hours - that is 6 music videos a day(!), which I felt was surely enough for anyone? To this he agreed viewtopic.php?f=3&t=397&start=5540#p361113, but subsequently has found this 'too limiting'. He still remains an 'active' member as TGA - he has not been 'banned' and his absence is by choice. I think we all miss his 'sensible posts'.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12584 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:42 am

I recall being suspended from TOP with the reason given that I p*sted too prolifically.

Isn't that what is required to sustain a bulletin board?

admin2
Capt
Capt

#12585 Post by admin2 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:34 pm

Indeed it is, and no reflection on your 'TOP' experience, but it is important to remember that it is quality and not quantity that 'sustains'.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12586 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:42 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:42 am
I recall being suspended from TOP with the reason given that I p*sted too prolifically.

Isn't that what is required to sustain a bulletin board?
Exactly - I don't follow the music video thread but looking in there just now it seems it gives much pleasure to some members.
admin2 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:35 am
.......I asked him to try to control his outbursts and limit himself to 1 ('soundtrack') post every 8 hours - that is 6 music videos a day(!),
6? :-?

I don't understand the ruling - isn't it the case that the music videos are not stored on the Ops Normal servers and that each post is merely a one line URL - so presumably not a storage issue? What defined forum rule was broken? I miss TGA's posts and I'm sad that he isn't here on a daily basis - hopefully he will return.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

admin2
Capt
Capt

#12587 Post by admin2 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:35 pm

[Yes, 6. Two URLs per post is the limit Alison set. Three (in 24) x 2?] EDIT: This should read 9.Three URLS is the limit Alison set. Three (in 24) x 3? Preferable, I think to 19 in 2:44 if we are after quality and not quantity? There was precious little 'quality' there.

it gives much pleasure to some members.
and hopefully they are still 'getting'. I certainly 'get' with some of the posts from Karearea in particular. TGA is welcome to continue dispensing this 'pleasure' to the 'some' in a more self-controlled manner, on which, I repeat, I thought we had an agreement but he then felt 'unable' for reasons unknown. These 'events' are not infrequent, but maybe marriage blew the fuse this time.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Exploding Whales

#12588 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:29 pm

This baseball team chose an exploding whale as its new identity

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/25/sport/eu ... index.html

CNN

For four games only, the Eugene Emeralds will re-brand and become the Eugene Exploding Whales.

Yes, you read that correctly.

During April and May, the minor league baseball team said it will take on an “alternate identity” and sell jerseys bearing a whale clutching a stick of dynamite for good measure.

The identity is a reference to an infamous event that took place in 1970 in the neighboring city of Florence, Oregon, where city officials decided that the best way to dispose of a washed-up 45-foot, eight-ton sperm whale was to … blow it up with dynamite.

The result? Entirely unsurprisingly, “everyone on the scene was covered with small particles of dead whale,” because “huge chunks of whale blubber fell everywhere,” according to a report from KATU News, who filmed the incident in its gory entirety.

Though officials had hoped to “it would result in small pieces for animals to consume,” they were left with damaged vehicles and large pieces of animal carcass that they would later have to bury.

The Eugene Emeralds decided to revisit this dramatic incident in Oregon history with the hope that “it can bring awareness to not only climate change, but its effects on whale migration patterns as well,” according to a press release.

“An alternate identity is more than just using a different logo for a day. It’s about embracing an idea and completely changing the team’s identity. From jerseys to stadium decor, it’s a complete overhaul of what fans have come to expect,” the press release added.

“It helps bring awareness and draws attention to the identity, which can be used to help bring positive change. The Emeralds had a great experience working with the city on creating this incredible alternate identity, and we hope this will bring recognition to the great city of Florence.”

Florence city councilor Jo Beaudreau said the temporary re-brand’s homage to the exploding whale “is a lesson and learning from our mistakes. It’s a way to boost multiple avenues of economic development for our communities, celebrates nature and our environment and its processes.”

Beaudreau added: “It’s turned a debacle into a local legend and worldwide, it honors our history, even the absurd. It channels our morbid curiosity into positive channels that support our local flavor, and it promotes our local pride.”

PP

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12589 Post by Woody » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:51 pm

For four games only, the Eugene Emeralds will re-brand and become the Eugene Exploding Whales.
What’s the website address for the clothing :D

https://twitter.com/EugeneEmeralds

Found it :-bd

https://emeralds.milbstore.com/collecti ... ing-whales
When all else fails, read the instructions.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12590 Post by OFSO » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:58 pm

Clocks, UK and EU ladies and gentlemen, move your clocks forward an hour. Before you go to bed, do it now so you get up at the right time !

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12591 Post by Karearea » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:24 pm

Clocks in NZ go back to the correct time next Sunday, April 2.
At the moment they assert it's well after 7:30am when the sun rises. Rijiklus.

5th Sunday in Lent - Passion Sunday. Pea soup.

Overcast, 14°C, feels chilly, damp.

Think I heard a shrill-voiced little cockerel crowing somewhere nearby, first thing.
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12592 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:35 pm

Clocks over here changed last week, that is almost everywhere except where I am. [-X
3 hours diff. from East Coast and now same time as West Coast.
Now I will also have to account for diff. between GMT and BST. ~X(

PP

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12593 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:59 pm

Karearea wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:24 pm
5th Sunday in Lent - Passion Sunday. Pea soup.
Carlin Sunday is the fifth Sunday in Lent, also known as Passion Sunday and it was traditional particularly in North East England to eat Carlin peas on this day. These are variously known as Carlins, pigeon peas, grey peas and a plethora of other names.
They are bought dried then soaked overnight and fried in butter.

The relevance of eating carlin peas in the North East is traced back to the civil war of 1644, when the Royalist Newcastle was under siege from the Scots. Stories suggest that a ship carrying a cargo of food became stranded at South Shields – the peas were washed ashore and salvaged by the locals.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12594 Post by EA01 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:45 am

it is quality and not quantity that 'sustains'.

......sorry....I'll try harder....

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12595 Post by llondel » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:13 am

Puppy cam is now offline, taking the pen down. Purple went home today (or started, she's off to Colorado with her cousin, so it will take her a while to get there by road) so we're down to two who will start learning to exist in crates and be taken one at a time for other activities. Not practical with three, but two we can manage for another ten days before Black heads out.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12596 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:21 am

llondel wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:13 am
Puppy cam is now offline,
Many thanks for the many weeks of entertainment.

I wish all the teddy bears to have a long and happy life.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12597 Post by Hydromet » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:42 am

Have enjoyed the puppies, hope their new owners enjoy them as much.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12598 Post by OFSO » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:53 am

Morning everyone. Total time confusion in the bedroom as ceiling projection clock didn't update but everything else did. First cup of tea now being embibed.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12599 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:56 am

Morning folks. Picked our lady up from MUB yesterday. She was in fine fettle having spent a night at JNB and flown 1st class with Emirates with a cabin. She has always lived in a different time zone to us. Goes to bed at 2 or 3 or later and gets up at lunchtime. Don't know when we are going to see her this morning but we are going to the safari camp at 11.00.

Bit of an emergency yesterday. We have been preparing for her for weeks and we had a power cut for the guest accommodation. Managed to find an electrician at the last minute who fixed it. It took him 2 hrs he had driven 80 kms round trip and it cost 45 quid. In the UK it would have been 10 times that.

No time change here. Just have to remember that Greece is now one hour ahead and the UK one hour behind.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12600 Post by OFSO » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:13 am

No House Rules for guests, then? We have, or rather had, one couple where the husband was up before seven and the wife after nine. Damned inconsiderate.