The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#19321 Post by OFSO » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:03 pm

Disembarking after the five minute rail journey from Teddington to Kingston, I frequently find the temperature and precip. totally different. Always surprises me. Clarence Rd always seems colder and windier than Station Rd in Teddington.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19322 Post by Karearea » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:10 pm

Good morning, 15.8°C expecting 21°C, a few stars showing; sunrise still an hour and a half away; going to be a breezy NW day.

The Moon is Full at 8pm tonight NZDT, 0700 UTC on March 25th.
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

talmacapt
Capt
Capt

#19323 Post by talmacapt » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:14 pm

If anyone in northern latitudes has clear skies tonight, the aurora is showing as very active on the Finnish met. site.

It is clear here but not yet dark at the moment.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19324 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:50 pm

talmacapt wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:14 pm
If anyone in northern latitudes has clear skies tonight, the aurora is showing as very active on the Finnish met. site.

Watching the aurora is the last thing on my bucket list trip wise

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19325 Post by 1DC » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:14 pm

It is bright and clear on the Humber,if it stays so I will look for the aurora tonight. The wind has gone into the Norrard and it has turned colder and only feels 3 to 5 in the wind chill although the guesser thinks 9 to 11! Had a lousy bacon sandwich and a semi decent coffee in the T.esco cafe this afternoon, I was sat overlooking the check-outs and I reckon the store was taking between £5000 and £10000 every five minutes. It was very busy and the place is rumoured to be the second largest in the UK.. Just had a rather nice fish pie for tea, the fish did not come from T.esco but from one of the remaining decent fish merchants on Grimsby Fish Docks..

talmacapt
Capt
Capt

#19326 Post by talmacapt » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:22 pm

Annoyingly, thick cloud is now covering the sky but fmi.fi (there are English pages) is still showing very high aurora probability.

Haven't heard from wife's Ivalo relations but they have to be up at 0500 for work tomorrow and "Voice of Finland" is on tv, grrr!,

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19327 Post by tango15 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:03 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:50 pm
talmacapt wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:14 pm

Watching the aurora is the last thing on my bucket list trip wise
I remember one evening going to a villa, far outside Athens. The food and company were excellent, but what I remember most was the carpet of stars above us. Some of them even shot across the sky.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19328 Post by Hydromet » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:02 pm

Good morning all, clear blue skies and it's shaping up for a beautiful autumn day. Currently 18C, forecast max 31C.

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#19329 Post by bob2s » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:30 pm

The timetable for today is bare of chores, one will have to amuse oneself by attempting to do nothing for the day, I am sure this will take little effort
on my part. :D

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#19330 Post by jimtherev » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:49 pm

tango15 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:03 pm

I remember one evening going to a villa, far outside Athens. The food and company were excellent, but what I remember most was the carpet of stars above us. Some of them even shot across the sky.
A few days after finally retiring and moving here in 2011 we visited my family in Ontario. On the way, flew to Vancouver, then 5 days on The Canadian train to Toronto. Second morning out - down the Rockies and into the prairies, said to Mrs Jim "You don't look as tho' you slept." "Didn't much" she said "Just opened the blinds, but me pillow under the window and watched the stars all night. Found myself crying, it was so beautiful. I did give you a shake at one point, but you didn't seem to be interested, you Philistine!"

(I could only weakly reply that Philistines were extremely talented people, for their time: High science and wonderful art. Just subject to bad PR.)

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19331 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:21 am

Today the car chided me to replace the battery in the fob.
Had to watch a YouTube video to figure out how to open it. Too lazy to go back out to the car and root around in the manual and the manufacturer's website wouldn't play nice to download it. :((
Day before yesterday it was the security camera telling me to replace batteries in the doorbell cam. Turned out only one was bad and other tested OK. #:-S
Now if they would only change themselves. :D

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19332 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:27 am

Took D#1 and her cat Emotional Support Animal to the airport to return to school.
She can only fly as far as Tucson however her instructor was visiting her family there for the weekend and will take them the other 125 miles back to the school.
Tomorrow they will start working on her CFII, with a checkride in a little over two weeks.

PP

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#19333 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:40 am

Morning folks. Sun. We did have a little strip of water left in front of us but that has gone now. Largeish pools both up and down river but very shallow looking at the cattle crossing.

We have a lady coming to stay for a couple of weeks on Wednesday. Always a good thing to force you into doing little jobs you have been putting off. We can't do anything about the sad state of the brown garden though. She has been here before and has been warned. Off into the Delta with her on Friday. A bit of aviating to be done.

As others here I've had the pleasure of seeing the aurora many times crossing the pond.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19334 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:25 am

t15, I know what you mean about the clear night skies away from Athens. Arguably it is what I haven't seen that makes aurora attractive to me.

JimR I love your way of approaching kind of sensitive subjects.

National Holiday here: for some unknown reason we celebrate the uprising against the Ottoman rulers rather the signing of the London Protocol.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19335 Post by OFSO » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:49 am

Morning all. Grey skies. Off to the smoke as usual to be zapped. Calcium supplements they advised I should take are making my nails grow very quickly.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19336 Post by tango15 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:27 am

jimtherev wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:49 pm
tango15 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:03 pm

A few days after finally retiring and moving here in 2011 we visited my family in Ontario. On the way, flew to Vancouver, then 5 days on The Canadian train to Toronto. Second morning out - down the Rockies and into the prairies, said to Mrs Jim "You don't look as tho' you slept." "Didn't much" she said "Just opened the blinds, but me pillow under the window and watched the stars all night. Found myself crying, it was so beautiful. I did give you a shake at one point, but you didn't seem to be interested, you Philistine!"

(I could only weakly reply that Philistines were extremely talented people, for their time: High science and wonderful art. Just subject to bad PR.)
One thing that occurs to me when I see all those thousands of stars in the night sky is that there must be life on at least one of them They can't all be useless pieces of rock - can they? I appreciate that you might take issue with that Jim - just thinking out loud really.
Yes, the Philistines should have hired the same PR company as the squirrel. It being basically the total opposite of a Philistine.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#19337 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:47 am

The night sky here is amazing, absolutely no light pollution. It is quite mind blowing thinking about what is out there. So far we can see or detect up to 46 billion light years away. That is a long way. There is no way there can't be intelligent life form out there. Even if it is just to the average intelligence level of a football hooligan or a frog.

To phone the furthest solar system would require some time on hold.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19338 Post by Hydromet » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:23 am

When we lived outside of Tumut, we could see the glow of light pollution from Canberra, about 80km away on the other side of the Brindabella range. However, working in central Australia, it's possible, sometimes, to look around and see no lights or light pollution within your whole horizon. At times like that, with no moon, you can see why it's called the Milky Way. When the moon is full and your eyes are accustomed to the night, it's almost like daylight.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#19339 Post by reddo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:25 am

Hydromet, agreed. When I drove through central Australia on the great job search quest, the Milky Way was absolutely spectacular.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19340 Post by Boac » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:27 am

Why was our galaxy named after a chocolate bar?? https://onepoundsweets.com/p/milkyway-bar-60p

Come to think of it................... https://www.galaxychocolate.co.uk Can no-one think of any original names?